Home Politics & Debate
Ongoing maintenance - the boards are undergoing some ongoing, intermittent maintenance. Pages might load slightly slower than usual and there may be very short periods where the boards are offline.

How did you vote?

AidanAidan Clever idiotPosts: 2,634 Boards Champion
edited December 2019 in Politics & Debate
If you voted in this election, what party did you vote for?

Just curious :) hope everyone has a result they're happy with tomorrow!

And did anyone get a sticker? I didn't, I was very disappointed :lol:

(Poll is private but feel free to share if you want!)

How did you vote? 14 votes

Conservative
7% 1 vote
Labour
71% 10 votes
SNP
7% 1 vote
Liberal Democrat
14% 2 votes
Green
0% 0 votes
Plaid Cymru
0% 0 votes
Other
0% 0 votes
"Do, or do not, there is no try" <(•.•)>              

Comments

• ShaunieShaunie I’m alive but I’m dead England 🏠Posts: 11,266 An Original Mixlorian
    Im sorry but if you moan about the NHS & how shit things have been like police stuff, education, health care and homeless & didnt vote & old enough to. than thats pretty stupid. And if you did vote and care about those things and voted conservatives thats stupid too.
    when ever since things have been shit and been getting worse has been ever since the conservatives have been in charge and voted for the same thing that clearly isnt working is stupid. Ever since 2010 its been shit.

idk who vote conservatives and seem to only care about the rich but conservatives are clearly going to win. 
    𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐩 𝐝𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐚𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐝𝐨𝐧’𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮. 𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮. 𝐒𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐮𝐧𝐚𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝. 💕💕
    Kathleen07Aidan
  • GreenTeaGreenTea ☕🌻☕ MidlandsPosts: 9,061 Supreme Poster
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, hope who you voted for wins. 
    Good luck

The scars you can't see are the hardest to heal.     

Astrid Alauda

Kathleen07Aidan
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Bpd bitch ✌🏼 Posts: 792 Part of The Mix Family
    I voted Lib Dem because my constituency is between Lib Dem’s and tories and obvs I hate the tories so yeh 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    Aidan
  • ShaunieShaunie I’m alive but I’m dead England 🏠Posts: 11,266 An Original Mixlorian
    GreenTea said:
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion
    I think that comment was towards me. Yeah everyones entitled to their opinion but who would vote for conservatives if they actually care about the shit thats going on. & thats my opinion
    𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐩 𝐝𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐚𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐝𝐨𝐧’𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮. 𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮. 𝐒𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐮𝐧𝐚𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝. 💕💕
    Jellyelephant
    edited December 2019
    It wasn't aimed at anyone shaunie. I posted it because the vile comments made over social media and the arguments. People seem to forget we are all entitled to vote without being attacked for who we vote for. 

I've seen multiple posts from both right wing and left wing voters telling people to unfollow them if they voted the opposite party. Calling People unkind things because of who they voted for. Either way people aren't going to be happy with how this election turns out, but so what? No point bullying people because of a disagreement over opinions. 
    Vote for who you want to vote for, but don't attack others if they vote a party you don't agree with. Everyone is human.

And on that note I'm logging off social media because the hate, unkind words and abuse going on is truly upsetting when as a country we should be coming together. Not hurting one another.

Astrid Alauda

Aidan
    Nobody should be attacked for their voting choice but also disagreeing and debating is ok and luckily this is the debate forum :)
    Aidan
    Nobody should be attacked for their voting choice but also disagreeing and debating is ok and luckily this is the debate forum :)

I wasn't attacking. I edited my post to fully explain.

Astrid Alauda

GreenTea said:

I know you weren’t I was agreeing with what you said about nobody should be attacked for their vote lol
    GreenTea said:

I know you weren’t I was agreeing with what you said about nobody should be attacked for their vote lol

Oh hahaha sorry 😂 I haven't slept for 24 hours. Getting a bit loopy 😂 my apologies

Astrid Alauda

Jellyelephant
    GreenTea said:
    GreenTea said:

Oh hahaha sorry 😂 I haven't slept for 24 hours. Getting a bit loopy 😂 my apologies
    It’s ok lol maybe I should have worded it better 
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 2,634 Boards Champion
    I voted Conservative :smiley:

I know there's a lot of pressure for young people to vote Labour (or Lib Dem, or anyone besides the Conservatives really) because it's expected in a way; the left-wing ideals appeal to most young people who tend to be more progressive and open-minded than older generations (but also lack the political insight of older generations who have been through more elections and governments). There can be a lot of flak and abuse you can get from non-Conservative voters, although I suppose it can easily work both ways too.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and you can still respect other views whilst also personally disagreeing :)

The way I see it:

• A Conservative government is like christmas on the cheap. You still have christmas, but it isn't as good as you wish it could be. You're saving money now so you can pay off debts and have more to spend down the line- but it means things get worse before they get better.

• A Labour government is like christmas on a credit card. You have a great christmas now by spending money you don't have, but later down the line you're only gonna have the money for a christmas on the cheap.

Besides, I've not liked Labour's direction since the end of New Labour, I think it's swayed back a bit too far to the left. I think another center-left Labour could make a resurgence again as the last election showed most people don't align with Labour's current ideals. They lost a lot of seats to the Conservatives even in working class constituencies (like mine) that had never had a Conservative MP in 100 years of political history.

Nationalising business sectors is expensive, passes debt onto the tax payer, stifles business with red tape, and reduces competition in terms of pricing and innovation. Nothing in the Conservative manifesto made me vote for them. It was Labour's manifesto that made me vote Conservative- I was still undecided til that point.

I'm not for privatising the NHS btw. It's important that emergency care is available to everyone regardless of wealth. I just don't believe that the NHS is 'up for sale' to Donald Trump (who btw might not be US president for much longer anyway), and even if it is, a large proportion of the NHS is private now anyway. GPs are private, and sub-contracting and privatisation has already been happening in the NHS under '90s-'00s New Labour and continued into the current Conservative regime. There's not a large proportion left to 'sell', and based on Labour's actions in their last majority government I wouldn't presume a Labour vote means the NHS wouldn't be privitised further anyway.

Whichever way the vote goes, it's never the end of the world. You get to try again in 5 years max, and I can see a lot of 'borrowed' tory votes going back to Labour and the other parties which didn't support getting brexit over with to the same extent as the British public.

Sorry for what basically amounts to a rant :lol: it's been a turbulent election lol and I hope I've offered a bit of insight to anyone who can't image why a massive majority voted Conservative!
    edited December 2019
    Aidan said:
    I voted Conservative :smiley:

I know there's a lot of pressure for young people to vote Labour (or Lib Dem, or anyone besides the Conservatives really) because it's expected in a way; the left-wing ideals appeal to most young people who tend to be more progressive and open-minded than older generations (but also lack the political insight of older generations who have been through more elections and governments). There can be a lot of flak and abuse you can get from non-Conservative voters, although I suppose it can easily work both ways too.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and you can still respect other views whilst also personally disagreeing :)

The way I see it:

• A Conservative government is like christmas on the cheap. You still have christmas, but it isn't as good as you wish it could be. You're saving money now so you can pay off debts and have more to spend down the line- but it means things get worse before they get better.

• A Labour government is like christmas on a credit card. You have a great christmas now by spending money you don't have, but later down the line you're only gonna have the money for a christmas on the cheap.

Besides, I've not liked Labour's direction since the end of New Labour, I think it's swayed back a bit too far to the left. I think another center-left Labour could make a resurgence again as the last election showed most people don't align with Labour's current ideals. They lost a lot of seats to the Conservatives even in working class constituencies (like mine) that had never had a Conservative MP in 100 years of political history.

Nationalising business sectors is expensive, passes debt onto the tax payer, stifles business with red tape, and reduces competition in terms of pricing and innovation. Nothing in the Conservative manifesto made me vote for them. It was Labour's manifesto that made me vote Conservative- I was still undecided til that point.

I'm not for privatising the NHS btw. It's important that emergency care is available to everyone regardless of wealth. I just don't believe that the NHS is 'up for sale' to Donald Trump (who btw might not be US president for much longer anyway), and even if it is, a large proportion of the NHS is private now anyway. GPs are private, and sub-contracting and privatisation has already been happening in the NHS under '90s-'00s New Labour and continued into the current Conservative regime. There's not a large proportion left to 'sell', and based on Labour's actions in their last majority government I wouldn't presume a Labour vote means the NHS wouldn't be privitised further anyway.

Whichever way the vote goes, it's never the end of the world. You get to try again in 5 years max, and I can see a lot of 'borrowed' tory votes going back to Labour and the other parties which didn't support getting brexit over with to the same extent as the British public.

Sorry for what basically amounts to a rant :lol: it's been a turbulent election lol and I hope I've offered a bit of insight to anyone who can't image why a massive majority voted Conservative!
    Na this doesnt make sense to me but yeah i see your view kinda. Just dont get why so many peoplewould trust boris johnson when hes clearly a twat said so many shit things. Why would you vote for the same party that clearly isnt working. 

Youd be suprised at how much of the NHS has already been privitased so i wont be suprised if the rest does now. 
    Boris johnson just cares about money. The whole conservatives do
    edited December 2019
    Money is very important though. This is the point of austerity, to reduce spending so the national debt can be reduced or at least stop it increasing. The more debt we're in, the lower the value of the pound, and that effects the financially worse off who are in or near poverty, more than the rich.

I know a lot of the NHS is already privitised. I wouldnt be surprised if the rest was privitised either, but based on what Labour did in the 90's and 00's I wouldn't trust them to stop the privitisation any more than the Conservatives.

People don't trust other party leaders either, the results showed a big distrust in Corbyn too. A lot of ex-Labour constituencies have been disenfranchised and voted for the Conservatives this time around. It's not an easy choice between black and white, politics is grey.

I respect your opinion and can kinda see your view too, I do think that Labour would be great... in the short-term. Their manifesto was radical in terms of spending such large amounts on things like nationalisation of business sectors, or spending on public services. That kind of debt is the kind that gets the Conservatives re-elected after a spell of Labour government, because that spending isn't sustainable. I think a bit of austerity now, is much better then making the debt bigger and having to go into a more severe austerity.

You do know don’t you that the conservatives actually spent more than labour? It’s just is regular people didn’t see any of it. But as long as Boris and his mates get their taxes cut it’s all good eh? 
    edited December 2019
    The Conservatives' last budget had a much smaller deficit than the last Labour budget. 

I'd disagree to any tax cuts for the rich, but also any tax increases. The rich can afford to move themselves and their businesses away to other countries with less aggressive taxing regimes- a luxury the rest of us don't have. Labour planned in their manfisto this election for tax increases for the rich.
    edited December 2019
    Enjoy you private health care 

boris johnson cares about money. Labour cares about everyone. 

My sister was talking about when labour was in power. She got paid to go to college when she left school, Nhs was a lot better. She didnt pay for her NHS corse it was for free. More chances for jobs. Now everyone pays for what she is an OT.  People may of got paid less but there was less poverty, better education and health
    Shaunie said:
    enjoy your private health care then

boris johnson cares about money. Labour cares about everyone. 

My sister was talking about when labour was in power. She got paid to go to college when she left school, Nhs was a lot better. She didnt pay for her NHS corse it was for free. Now everyone pays for what she is an OT.  People may of got paid less but there was less poverty, better education and health
    But Labour started the regime of NHS privatisation, it isn't an exclusively Conservative idea. It'd be political suicide if the Conservatives were to privitise emergency healthcare, they'd lose a massive amount of votes next time. It's in their interest to keep the remaining nationalise portion of the NHS in the public sector.
    This is taken from the UKs independent fact check agency 

I don't disagree debt has gone up in Conservatives government. But the rate of debt accumulation has slowed. It's been a steady rise that is decreasing in Conservative government, in the last few years of New Labour it had a massive spike.
    edited December 2019
    Debt actually steadied recently under Conservative government.

https://www.economicshelp.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/net-debt-political-92-2019-600x500.jpg

Looking at debt as %GDP is more accurate in terms of evaluating how much debt the individual tax payer has to pay off, as value of currency fluctuates.
    Can't wait to see even more funding cuts with schools. . As if it wasn't bad enough. Schools pretty much falling down, not able to afford equipment and having to over populate classes because there's no money for extra staff or extra support for children with needs. Brilliant. People like me are underpaid and under a lot of pressure to educate children in a society majorly failing their future

Astrid Alauda

Aidan
    I see every single day what poverty does to children and families and I'm facing it myself. The next 5 years are going to be fucking awful.

Astrid Alauda

Aidan
  • JordanJordan Posts: 228 Super Moderator
    I know politics can be heated, so I just thought I'd hop on and say thank you for having such a calm and mature discussion about politics. I know it can be difficult to be level-headed when talking about issues that might effect us or you care strongly about. You folks are doing better than most politicians!
    MikeAidanLaine
    https://schoolcuts.org.uk for anyone who cares about education of  children and the funding cuts happening my 2020. Some schools will lose up to £700 per pupil... Some schools more. Some less. Have a search of different schools and see the negative impact the Tories have on school cuts

Astrid Alauda

AidanLaine
    TLDR: The Labour manifesto was good this election regarding public services. It just isn't financially sustainable with the current debt. Having great ideas is one thing, affording them is another. More debt means eventual dissatisfaction with Labour, another Conservative government dealing with increased debt, and a more harsh austerity than we currently have to pay off this debt increase. Also, the immediate issue this election was leaving the EU, and the Conservatives seemed to align more with the general public view than with Labour's hence why seats have shifted from Labour to the Conservatives.
    I'm confused to why you agree with my comments when you voted the party that caused this and want to carry on cutting the funding? 

Astrid Alauda

• LaineLaine Llama Mama Gone for GooPosts: 2,406 Boards Champion
    I went Labour it made the most sense to me as lib dems weren't big in my area, and I could never bring myself to go Tory being a lower class individual who they don't care about. 

Unfortunately where I live we are all Tory and have been for quite some time but I still remain hopeful one day labour will win, and I think next election we will have a better chance after people live 5 more years with tories and labour gets a new leader :)

However we voted guys these are gonna be hard times ahead so we have to stick together to see it through 💕

Here for you all if needed 😘

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille

"Here's to the ones that we got
    Cheers to the wish you were here, but you're not" ~ Maroon 5
    Jellyelephant
    GreenTea said:
    I'm confused to why you agree with my comments when you voted the party that caused this and want to carry on cutting the funding? 
    I agree that funding for public services has been cut. But it's decreasing national debt we've inherited from the financial crisis and New Labour- which eventually will allow more money for funding this things. Just not yet.
    It will be too late to fund schools in a few years time.. seriously.. some schools are close to closing down because of funding.. which will overpopulate other schools. I work in schools. I see it all first hand. Debt can be paid through other things. Not cutting funding so much on schools. 
    £700 loss per pupil in a school of 900.. imagine the Impact that will have? It's literally disgusting. Debt or not the money shouldn't be taken out of schools 

Astrid Alauda

LaineAidan
    edited December 2019
    GreenTea said:
    It will be too late to fund schools in a few years time.. seriously.. some schools are close to closing down because of funding.. which will overpopulate other schools. I work in schools. I see it all first hand. Debt can be paid through other things. Not cutting funding so much on schools. 
    £700 loss per pupil in a school of 900.. imagine the Impact that will have? It's literally disgusting. Debt or not the money shouldn't be taken out of schools 
    I agree, it's an alarming situation and the sooner schools (and all public services in fact) have more funding the better. That funding can't be made available yet because of the deficit it will create in a budget unless tax is radically increased- and at this point a government would be solving problems by creating new ones.

We have a steady funding cut now- we reduce the debt sooner, create a situation where a government can increase funding again sooner.

We increase funding now- we create more debt to deal with later. It's procrastination. We deal with our current level of debt now, or we put it off for now and deal with a larger level of debt later.

It's also better to cut funding from every public service by a relatively small prportion, than to make exceptions like schools and the NHS and have to cut funding for the other things by substantially more to balance it out.