You may be asked to reset your password when you try to login. This is part of a system update and is genuine, so it's safe to go ahead and do that. If you no longer have access to the email address you used to register, please email us at [email protected] rather than creating a new account. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Are you voting? And why?

AidanAidan Clever idiotPosts: 1,255 Fanatical Poster
In my area during my whole lifetime, the vote has always gone the same way. We've had the same MP for over 20 years.

It got me thinking whether I should just vote for the popular opinion or whether another option would better represent my stances and what I think the big issues are. Because when I vote in the upcoming general election, will be the first time I can vote.

Bit more background to my solution:
In the end I decided that there were a handful of issues that were the most important in my opinion and from my perspective, climate change and Brexit topping that list.

This split me because it seemed like there was no single party who would be best for all those issues. There was no clear winner. So I started giving the party which was best for an issue 2 points, 2nd best 1 point, and adding up the points each party had at the end. The party with the most points was the winner for me. I was very happy that there was an overall winner this time around.

I only researched the stances and the recent history of the Conservatives, Labour and Lib Dems in the end- they are the big parties in my opinion that stand a chance of winning in my constituency and overall in parliament, and a vote to a little party seemed like a wasted vote.

So I'm voting the way I am because of climate change, Brexit, and who the realistic potential winners in my area are.

Are you going to vote?

And what is making you vote that way?

Please share below the reason you're going to vote the way you are, as a first-time voter I'm interested to hear your opinion on things :smiley:

Are you voting? And why? 15 votes

I am voting
73%
SkiveJacob101AifeMikeShaunieAidanPast UserGreenTeachubbydumplingPoppyBEvelyn360 11 votes
I can vote, but am not
13%
LaineButterfly23 2 votes
I can't vote, but know who I would vote for
6%
stormsanddreams 1 vote
I can't vote, and don't know who I'd vote for
6%
Kasa2103 1 vote
Aife

Comments

• AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 1,255 Fanatical Poster
    I am voting
    Bit of a blunder, I meant to put this in politics and debate and anonymise the poll. @The Mix 

Sorry!
  • Evelyn360Evelyn360 Posts: 79 Miniposter
    I am voting
    I think I'm going to vote for the Green Party because even though they're not one of the "big ones" it still gives them a chance to get more seats in Parliament. I've think whichever way the vote goes we're going to end up with a pants Brexit deal, it will only get better after time once theres time to actually systematically go through everything and figure out what works best. There's so much legislation entangled with the EU it would take years to actually plan and work out what's in our best interest and i really dont think the government put enough time and energy into practicalities when they issued the referendum, so now they're left scrambling. Not that I disagree with Brexit, I just think the government were too proud to actually plan for it. 
    edited October 31
    I am voting
    Evelyn360 said:
    I think I'm going to vote for the Green Party because even though they're not one of the "big ones" it still gives them a chance to get more seats in Parliament.

Thanks for your opinion!

I know for some people Green is the go-to 'protest vote' and it's refreshing to see recently more people making serious votes for Green because the climate really does matter. I don't agree with some of their other stances such as massive military cuts, but maybe if they secure places because of their radical climate stance maybe they'll change their other unpopular ideas to pander to the general voting public.

• Evelyn360Evelyn360 Posts: 79 Miniposter
    I am voting
    I'd agree with that, I'm not sure how well they'd do if they actually did win, I probably wouldn't vote for them if they were up there but I do think it would help to have more pressure on environmental policies in Parliament. 
  • LaineLaine Llama Mama Posts: 1,341 Fanatical Poster
    I can vote, but am not
    Its always been a torn vote between labour and lib dems (and a bit of green party) but i still feel like i'm picking the best as they all have their bad bits, I've never looked at someone and thought for sure it would be them.

I'm gonna sit this vote out because lib dems and labour aren't very pro brexit and while i'm not i don't think another referendum would help, we just need to get it over with and deal with the consequences. That being said,

I would never in my right mind vote tories 😂 and wouldn't want to deal with them for the time after so i'm sitting out.

My tactic is to vote when i think there's a sure good party

🌈Positive thoughts🌈 

"Maybe it's not my weekend,  but it's gonna be my year" ~ All Time Low

"No one else is dealing with your demons, meaning maybe defeating them could be the beginning of your meaning friend" ~ TOP

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille
    Skive
    edited November 1
    I am voting
    Laine said:
    I've never looked at someone and thought for sure it would be them.

My tactic is to vote when i think there's a sure good party

Thanks for sharing!

I used to think as well that it wasn't worth voting because there was no party that was good at everything- but I think I've changed my mind. I don't think abstaining from voting can make a change- parties are not going to change their policies to please the group of non-voters but they might for the group of people who will actually vote for and support them.

Young people are under-represented in parliament because we have a bigger proportion of non-voters at our age than any other. I think as the young generations are more concerned about climate change too, this means environmental policy is particularly damaged by our age group having a relatively low voter turnout.

Laine said:
    I'm gonna sit this vote out because lib dems and labour aren't very pro brexit and while i'm not i don't think another referendum would help, we just need to get it over with and deal with the consequences.

This I agree with- parties that think there's a chance of overturning Brexit can't deliver a good Brexit. Maybe parties that do want to deliver Brexit can't either, but you think they'd at least be better. Labour, the Lib Dems and Green are all anti-Brexit, so that makes the Conservatives the best 'Brexit' vote. But like you I don't believe they would be as good as other parties at issues besides Brexit.

MikeSkive
    I am voting
    Thanks everyone so far for your thoughts, they've been really interesting to hear smiley

What information do you feel is important to be able to make an informed vote?

To anyone who isn't too confident that their vote is right, or isn't going to be voting at all: what info do you think would help you to make that vote?

For me, I think it's important to know where parties stand on the big issues and what they've done about those issues in the past.

A good turnout of young adult voters is important to make sure we're fairly represented in parliament, and issues important to us get their time in the limelight.

The guys at @The Mix are working on some content for the upcoming election and they're interested in hearing young people's thoughts 
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,014 I eat threads for breakfast
    I am voting
    I plan to vote, though as a Leave voting Labour member I'm in a bit of a pickle.

This is a usefulf site for anybody who would like to vote but may not have a great interest in politics. 
    https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/
    Mike
  • MikeMike Posts: 1,763 Staff Moderator
    I am voting
    No worries @Aidan! I've moved this to P&D now. We can't anonymise a poll that already exists but that doesn't seem to be an issue so far, so that's all good. :3

It's interesting to see how everyone is approaching this election - particularly @Butterfly23 and @Laine who won't be voting despite being able to. That feeling of having no good options seems quite common in modern politics (or maybe just politics in general), and it's gotten me thinking: do we all need to compromise a little bit when voting?

It's very unlikely that we'll find someone who perfectly aligns with our political views. And even if that ideal candidate does exist, you could argue that passing legislation always requires compromise on both sides, and so how much is an ideal candidate really worth? It's tough to weigh pragmatism against principles and values, and voting for someone you can't wholly endorse can feel a bit wrong.

I'll definitely be voting, but I'm not sure who for yet. Either way, for me it's worth showing the government that they do have young voters to appeal to (as @Aidan touched on). Like @Evelyn360 I've voted Green before, even though I know they're not going to get into power because I think they need more representation.

Thanks for putting this post together Aidan and for sharing so much info. :3
    just because you're not doing something perfectly, doesn't mean you're not doing it
  • MikeMike Posts: 1,763 Staff Moderator
    edited November 7
    I am voting
    It would also be really interesting to see what people think to this:

@Aidan said:
    What information do you feel is important to be able to make an informed vote?

To anyone who isn't too confident that their vote is right, or isn't going to be voting at all: what info do you think would help you to make that vote?
    just because you're not doing something perfectly, doesn't mean you're not doing it
  • Kasa2103Kasa2103 Ugly Snake South EastPosts: 2,153 Mega Poster
    I can't vote, and don't know who I'd vote for
    I want to yeet Brexit! Even if I was old enough I would not be voting. Everything at the moment has been stressful enough. I don't need anything else about Brexit affecting my life.
    I have endured pain and loss. I have felt broken. I have known hardship, and I have felt lost and alone.

But here I stand, trying to move forward, one day at a time. I will remember the lessons in my life because they are making me who I am. Stronger.

A warrior. 
  • PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 86 Moderator
    I am voting
    Very interesting topic and conversations on this thread!

I've found that my friends (in our early 20's) are echoing what is being said here with either becoming really passionate about how every vote matters or becoming completely disillusioned with the whole process due to 'Brexit fatigue' that they can no longer be bothered about voting. 

Personally I'm not sure exactly which party I'm voting for yet, but @Skive thanks for posting the website - I'll have a look into it later :)

I think having a clear outline from an unbiased source of what each party is planning to deliver, what they have delivered previously and the values that they stand for would be really helpful! 

chubbydumpling
  • ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 6,499 The Mix Elder
    I am voting
    Eventho i have no idea what its all about. And how youre meant to trust what they say. I just vote for whoever my dad votes for 
    “If we could look into each other’s hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care” Marvin J. Ashton