Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Aircraft safety and Delays

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you worry when you catch a plane about safety?

Just watching this Program on TV and they mentioned that the world's worst airline crash happened on the ground - when two planes hit each ohter on the runway in fog - in Tenerife.

There are systems available that can detect planes on the ground (called Ground Radar from Norway) - but some airports are too cheap to buy the system, some airports have bought it and never fitted it and the Americans don't want to buy it cos it's not an American system and so have spent years trying to build their own system - whilst the Norweigns have a perfectly good system up and running and for sale by anyone that wants to buy it. I think that is one really dumb reason not to buy the system and it's probabaly a hell of a lots cheaper to buy an existsing system then develop one from scratch.

I was once kept waiting at an airport for 15 hours due to fog - and there were loads of passengers moaning about why aircraft can't take off in fog - but I figured it was better to wait and grin and bare it then risk getting killed.

So that's my longest ever delay at an airport - how about you guys?

Comments

• Options
    Not really.
    Usually fly with El Al, which is considered the worlds safest air way company regarding security checks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Not really.
    Usually fly with El Al, which is considered the worlds safest air way company regarding security checks.

El Al certainly has the best security against terror attacks and had lockable cockpit doors long before september 11th and also didn't subscribe to the notion of doing whatever a terriost tell you to do.

Which is now the way all airline seem to work after sep 11th.

They also check people's names from the moment a ticket is booked with them.

Of course on the other hand El Al is a bigger target then most airlines, so they've got to take terrorism seriously.
  • Options
    when i was coming home from amsterdam our plane turned back from the runway. the police came on and took 2 guys off (think they were arab or asian..cant remember now) but that was to do with security. i think the number of passengers on the plane didnt match up with the number of boarding passes..dodgy :\
  • Options
    When we went to america we had to turn around and go back after we'd left as the lights werent working on the plane (headlights that is). It was quite encouraging that there was ambulances and fire engines waiting for us :rolleyes:

Still, I get panicky on planes, im ok, but im not a huge fan :no:
  • Options
    I don't worry about the plane saftey, nothing was ever happened *touch wood* it's just the plane goes up, then lands...never anything else than that and i've been on a plane a good few times, i know there does be plane crashes but i haven't been in one yet thank god, the longest i have had to stay in an airport because of delays was for about an hour, not too long.

However my friend was stuck on the plane for 3-4 hours because there was a fault in the engine, the plane hadn't taken off yet and the passengers had to stay on the plane while the engine was being fixed, you could imagine that, sitting there, completly bored and the plane not even moving.
  • Options
    I have a friend who's boyfriend works in the Aircraft industry and they have their own private newsletter - he said every single week there are loads of near misses in the Sky but we only hear about a fraction of them.
  • Options
    I saw that programme too, I did find it worrying! But the chances of crashes are so small, it's easy not to see these things in perspective.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

Of course on the other hand El Al is a bigger target then most airlines, so they've got to take terrorism seriously.

True, but they are better prepared than any other airline. The incident in LA and on the flight to Israel from Turkey proved that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by openup
    I saw that programme too, I did find it worrying! But the chances of crashes are so small, it's easy not to see these things in perspective.

I think the point of the programme was really pointing out how easy a lot of these accidents are to prevent by installin the right kind of equipment.

It said the Americans now have a ground radar system in only some airports but their system isn't as good as the system from Norway which was developted originally for tracking ships at sea.
  • Options
    My friend was coming back from Amsterdam, and his plane caught fire mid-air and had to turn around and do an emergency landing. They had to make the plane point downwards so the smoke could rise to the back of the plane, while they had to get as near to the floor and the front of the plane as poss.

This is what he says anyway :p but I know there definitely was a fire, I was at Schipnol (sp?) Airport in Amsterdam waiting for my flight home when it happened!

As for me, I've never been worried about flying or the safety of it.
  • Options
    So what kind of compensation did your friend get from the airline?
  • Options
    I had a 2 hour delay yesterday!But the worst iv had is 9 hours.

Im not too bothered bout flying, i want to be a pilot when im older so it dosnt help if im scared off flying.
  • Options
    So what kind of compensation did your friend get from the airline?

That, I don't know. I think he would have said if he had got some though... will find out :)
  • Options
    Actually all i got offered was a percentage off the same airline - flying in the same region - part of the reason we got delayed wasn't just the fog - but the fact it was 2 weeks after september 11th and the number of people travelling had gone down so our place with was going to London - which woul d have been full was half empty - so they tried to delay us on purpose at the connecting airport until another plane arrived so they could combine the flights - by the time the other flight arrived 3 hours after we were supposed to have left for London in the first place there was tonnes of fog.

I only got offered that because I wrote a letter to complain and told them I had video footage of the passengers at the airport all complaining after being there so long. In the end I never persued it.
  • Options
    Shhhusssh! I am flying in 2 days! :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    Shhhusssh! I am flying in 2 days! :(

Well if you see anything wrong don't be afraid to speak up.

There was one incidence where a plane's engine caught on fire and the captain annouced it's no problem - they have th eother engine and said which one they were going to shut down - except it was the good engine - everyone heard the captain and most people realsied it was the wrong engine he said (the one without the flames coming out of it) but no one said anything.... Anyway the captain shut down the wrong engine...
  • Options
    When we flew to America, we had a near miss over the bloody ocean. Looked out the window and there was a plane flying right beneath us. It caused so much turbulence! We had to climb 3000 feet or something.

Never been delayed though.
  • Options
    I.
    Hate.
    Flying.

*Is questionning himself as to why he's doing a parachute jump*

Flying is the safest form of transport. Not sure what the %'s are (and I can't be arsed going to look) but annually there are not as many deaths as that on the roads or trains, etc...

I think the big problem is that you are less likely to survive a plane crash than say a car crash.

btw Quantas have the best safety. They have never had a crash. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster

btw Quantas have the best safety. They have never had a crash. :)

Wasn't that form the movie "Rainman??"
  • Options
    Wasn't that form the movie "Rainman??"

Think it was mate. But I believe it's also a true fact. :D
  • Options
    Well if you see anything wrong don't be afraid to speak up.

There was one incidence where a plane's engine caught on fire and the captain annouced it's no problem - they have th eother engine and said which one they were going to shut down - except it was the good engine - everyone heard the captain and most people realsied it was the wrong engine he said (the one without the flames coming out of it) but no one said anything.... Anyway the captain shut down the wrong engine...

You aint helping!!!! :(:p

About the Delay, i have been delayed every time i have flown, but im not tempting fate! the longest delay was 8 hours, we got free food! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Think it was mate. But I believe it's also a true fact. :D

Rainman man came out years ago .. check this out ... not a bit crash but still caused a lot of damage...

http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2001/04/25/story10820.asp
  • Options
    You aint helping!!!! :(:p

About the Delay, i have been delayed every time i have flown, but im not tempting fate! the longest delay was 8 hours, we got free food! :D

Who was the guy on the site a number of weeks ago that was due to go on Holiday with his Girlfriend - but then they just broke up and he wasn't going to go?

It was somewhere in Spain I think - and we're all telling him on the site he should go? .. Don't know if he did but the same time he was due to go a bomb went off there .. don't think we've heard from him again!!! :confused:
  • Options
    Maybe they've never had a crash that has caused death. :confused:
  • Options
    Who was the guy on the site a number of weeks ago that was due to go on Holiday with his Girlfriend - but then they just broke up and he wasn't going to go?

It was somewhere in Spain I think - and we're all telling him on the site he should go? .. Don't know if he did but the same time he was due to go a bomb went off there .. don't think we've heard from him again!!! :confused:

Am i gonna be guliable if i say....Really??? ;)
  • Options
    Am i gonna be guliable if i say....Really??? ;)

... it's OK .. I just checked ... it was from this thread ....
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49707&highlight=alicante

and the person was Macca1983 - but according to the thingy he'd posted today so he's alive and kicking !!!
    :D

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3514994&thesection=news&thesubsection=world
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Not really.

i know they have armed gards on planes

coz i flew on el al years ago
  • Options
    ... it's OK .. I just checked ... it was from this thread ....
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49707&highlight=alicante

and the person was Macca1983 - but according to the thingy he'd posted today so he's alive and kicking !!!
    :D

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3514994&thesection=news&thesubsection=world

ah yeah. so he went then?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Type R
    i know they have armed gards on planes

coz i flew on el al years ago

Before September 11th - there was this programme on the Discovery channel about the American Air Marshalls and how wonderful they are and what a good job they do - even though there's only a fraction of air marshalls compared to the number of flights like not even 1 i n10 flights or something that might have an armed Marshall onboard - anyway after september 11th they never showed that programme again!!!