Young Carers of The Mix, we need you! Tell us about your experiences of our services and give yourself a chance to win £50 of Amazon vouchers.

Smiley face emoji

ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 6,196 The Mix Elder
edited October 2 in Fix The Mix
I feel like your smiley face emoji looks kinda sarcastic and im scared my messages come across as sarcastic even though i use it to like welcome people and for all sorts, so i hope dont come as sarcastic but i don’t know if seen as sarcastic face sometimes? Its just when you type : ) (obviously together) it doesnt show that emoji until you send the message i use a lot of writtin emoji like : ) : '( unless i wanna put more than one emoji and just kinda annoying emoji. I dont think looks over sarcastic but feel like with a message that could be seen as patrnosing but wasnt meant to be - makes it look like a completly different tone than intentionally and either patronising or sarcastic --->  :)

sorry dont mean to be annoying lol. I hope doesnt but just wondering if others think look sarcastic or patrnoaising.

But sudden realistion it may look sarcastic
“If we could look into each other’s hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care” Marvin J. Ashton

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,685 Postholic
    I had a thought! If you're worried about the smiley face looking sarcastic, what would you think of putting a dash in the written emoji? Like this -> :-)

That one looks slightly warmer in the sense of harder to see as sarcastic, to me it does anyway, so I thought I'd mention that.

I get what you mean about it looking sarcastic. It looks warm and genuine, but it also seems a bit easier to make it look the opposite. It's interesting, the amount of perspectives there are on something lol.
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 1,237 Fanatical Poster
    We were talking about this in GC actually and found a few better looking smiles in the emojis in chat, let's see what other smileys the boards have.

How either of these?

:blush: :smiley:

Chat has way more smileys!
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 14,994 Part of the furniture
    edited October 3
    The smiley face emoji has always had that question hanging over it - is this person being nice or being a sarcastic cunt?

I've mostly avoided it for that reason. I prefer the old fashioned grin.  =)

-- I've only just noticed that the selection of emojis we have has been seriously diminished. What happened there?
    We used to have an eye-rolling emoji that was perfect for sarcasm. Where's it gone?
  • MikeMike Posts: 1,713 Staff Moderator
    Skive said:
    -- I've only just noticed that the selection of emojis we have has been seriously diminished. What happened there?
    We used to have an eye-rolling emoji that was perfect for sarcasm. Where's it gone?
    Ultimately, a new platform just meant different emoji options @Skive. You can use any of the built-in emoji on your phone or look at the full list if you're using desktop (the menu here doesn't show them all). I miss the eyeroll too, and the hug emoji.

The shortcut for the slightly less doll-like smile is : 3 -> :3 if that helps @Shaunie! But I don't imagine people immediately read :) with sarcasm, unless what you're saying has that ring to it.

just because you're not doing something perfectly, doesn't mean you're not doing it
    SkiveGreenTea
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 14,994 Part of the furniture
    Thanks Mike. Hadn't notices they'd changed since the re-platform. 
  • ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 6,196 The Mix Elder
    edited October 3
    Heyy, thank you. 
    So not a way to change the emojis then ah?

I hope not like put the sarcastic assocation in peoples heads now lol. You know when dont see it one way then someone says and see that way now. Didnt realise could look sarcastic looking til recently so not gunna use it for anything now lol.  Thanks! 😊
    “If we could look into each other’s hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care” Marvin J. Ashton
    Also just realise no space bar before it doesnt turn it into a face:)
    edited October 5
    There is a way to change them, yep. We've got a choice of a few different sets, and when we first launched the new discussion boards we held a vote that was pretty close. 36% of you voted for this Twitter-style set, and 32% voted for Apple-style. There were a few other runners up.

The different sets and exact votes are in these survey results. :)

Shaunie said:
    Also just realise no space bar before it doesnt turn it into a face:)
    You can also do it backwards  ->   (:
    just because you're not doing something perfectly, doesn't mean you're not doing it
    Ooh the apple style is soo much better than twitter

but nevermind ah thank you! Will just try to remember that when i type a smily face comes up with that

thank you
    Skive
    I'm also not a fan of the twitter ones, but a survey seems like a pretty fair way of choosing.
    My faves are still the VBulletin set. :)

SmileBig GrinFrownMadRoll Eyes SarcasticErmEEKEmbarrassmentConfusedCoolWink
    Nothing to say we couldn't poll it again if we were to find the general opinion has shifted. :)

The retro ones do feel a bit more forum-y.
    Skive