Home Travel & Free Time
Fill out The Mix's Annual User Survey for a chance to win a £200 Amazon voucher, to shape our services, and get closer to earning a badge!
Need support urgently? Head to this thread.

Did you know? thread

AidanAidan Clever idiotPosts: 2,123 Boards Champion
edited August 2019 in Travel & Free Time
Thought it'd be a fun idea to make a thread where anyone can share facts they think are interesting or fun or fairly unknown :)

For bonus points!-
If you have a source, don't forget to include one! (wikipedia doesn't count, but the sources at the bottom of wiki pages do ;) )

For example:

There's a sunken ship from WWII located in the Thames Estuary that contains 1,400 tonnes of explosives.

Sources:
BBC News
Tom Scott
"Do, or do not, there is no try" <(•.•)>              

Comments

• chubbydumplingchubbydumpling DurhamPosts: 433 Moderator
    Great thread!

Dolphins call each other by "name". Research has shown that they use a unique whistle to identify each other.

Source:
    National Geographic 
    Aidan
  • Kasa2103Kasa2103 This Is Me! ❤👅👌🤓💃🎤 South EastPosts: 3,676 Community Veteran
    The headquarters of Heart London (the best radio station ever) is only 1.7 miles away from where The Mix is in London.

Source: Google
                   Google Maps

Everyone is special in their own way. We make each other strong (we make each other strong.) We're not the same. We're different in a good way. Together's where we belong. We're all in this together. Once we know. That we are. We're all stars. And we see that. We're all in this together. And it shows. When we stand. Hand in hand. Make our dreams come true.
    Aidan
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 2,123 Boards Champion
    Studies have shown that male fighter pilots that go on to have children may be more likely to have daughters than sons.

Sources:
    Norwegian Report
    SciShow

• ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 9,680 Supreme Poster
    edited August 2019
    Peer support worker if dk what peer support workers are 

"Someone who has been there themselves and can help a person to focus on their own recovery. A peer worker will have experience of having significant mental health challenges usually by accessing secondary mental health services themselves and can use this personal experience to help others on their recovery journey"

are saving the NHS a lot of money every year (forget the amount). Because being employed increase their own mental health and less likely under services. It's also more recovery focused based & holistic & they feel more listened and more hope with PSW. & lot of evidence to say it works really well so it's a growing thing that will start to be happening more and also reach towards physical health too. They're also looking more at carers being PSWs

Source : my peer support work training
    if you have the strength to sustain anorexia you have the strength to overcome it
    AidanSalix_alba_2019
    Angie Greaves replaced Emma Boughton on Smooth Radio. Emma Boughton replaced her on Magic Radio.

Source: https://radiotoday.co.uk/2019/06/emma-b-to-replace-angie-greaves-on-magic-afternoon-show/

Everyone is special in their own way. We make each other strong (we make each other strong.) We're not the same. We're different in a good way. Together's where we belong. We're all in this together. Once we know. That we are. We're all stars. And we see that. We're all in this together. And it shows. When we stand. Hand in hand. Make our dreams come true.
    Aidan
  • Millie2787Millie2787 🐶 💜 Posts: 3,156 Boards Guru
    Polar beards have black skin and although there fur appears white it is attucally transparent

source : My Mr freeze ice pop 😂 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    AidanSalix_alba_2019
    Did you know that sometimes chickens lose a feather when laying eggs.

Source: An egg that arrived from the shop
    Aidan
    Did you know the US' nuclear arsenal is still operated by computers which use floppy disks?

Source:
    BBC News
    Evelyn360
  • RileyRiley Posts: 538 Super Moderator
    Did you know that scientists believe that there is a ninth planet in our solar system that is around ten times larger than earth? Apparently it's been in debate since 2015/2016 because noone can locate the planet itself, just its gravitational effects on other objects.

Evelyn360AidanJellyelephant
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling DurhamPosts: 433 Moderator
    Shakespeare invented over 1,700 of the common words we use today. His vocabulary was the largest of any writer, totalling over a whopping 24,000 words. 

Source: http://www.shakespeare-online.com
    AidanEvelyn360
    Did you know that I have an IQ of 138?

Source: http://www.free-iqtest.net/iq-test-2/
    Aidan
    edited August 2019
    Did you know after a visit to Kenya by Barrack Obama when he was US president, 2 newborns were named Air Force One?

Source:
    https://www.kenyans.co.ke/news/newborn-babies-named-airforce-one-obama-and-other-obama-names

Edit: forget to write 'did you know' :lol:
    Kasa2103Mike
    I am a big fan of IceSparks radio. 

Source: My mind

Here is the link to the radio: https://listen.samcloud.com/w/104561/IceSparks-Radio
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,936 Taking your piece of the pi
    Did you know that I'm showing symptoms of severe clinical depression?

:joy: Hahaha

DurhamjaideDanteAlanis
    Kathryn said:
    Did you know that I'm showing symptoms of severe clinical depression?

:joy: Hahaha

I just took that test as well. It shows the same result with me. 
    Kathleen07Durhamjaide
  • LaineLaine Llama Mama Gone for GooPosts: 2,087 Boards Champion
    Apples are made of 25% air
    thats why they float.

Source: I just remember it haha but heres a link https://thedeclarationatcoloniahigh.com/34833/fun-factofthe-day/apples-are-made-of-25-air-which-is-why-they-float-on-water/

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille

"Here's to the ones that we got
    Cheers to the wish you were here, but you're not" ~ Maroon 5
    JellyelephantMikeDurhamjaide
  • MikeMike Screen addict 🎮 LondonPosts: 2,628 Community Manager
    edited August 2019
    Acronyms are abbreviations that form a new word (e.g. NASA), and ones that don't are called initialisms (e.g. FBI).

All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Evelyn360DurhamjaideSkive
  • Millie2787Millie2787 🐶 💜 Posts: 3,156 Boards Guru
    Did you know cavaliers need for attention is high . Hahaha just like me ! ;) 

source ;https://www.hillspet.com/dog-care/dog-breeds/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Durhamjaide
    My favourite trampoline park is IATP registered (International Association of Trampoline Parks.)

Source: the safety video 
    Durhamjaide
    edited August 2019
    Seahorses can give birth to about 1,800 at a time. & it's the males who give birth. 

Interesting video of them giving birth 🙃
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MsHCqrrU-Gk
    if you have the strength to sustain anorexia you have the strength to overcome it
    JellyelephantDurhamjaideDanteAlanis
    edited October 2019
    Is this true? I thought they grew

Well i thought quokkas was cute cause theyre happiest animal. But thats selfish lol. Maybe the key to be happy is to be selfish ha

Do i look like teddy?

So much money for 5%. 95.% time spent saving up or fixing it lol

Um

edited October 2019

I must be so clever

Fact- not a mice in that picture lol think gerbal

I had the bestest sleep today 🙃🙃🙃

• DurhamjaideDurhamjaide County Durham Posts: 171 Boards Initiate
    Did you know the prime Minister is on Instagram and snap chat

Source
    Capital Tyne and Wear 

• SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,130 Skive's The Limit
    If you were possible to fold a piece of paper in half 42 times, it would reach the moon. Such is the power of exponential growth. 
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,130 Skive's The Limit
    edited October 2019
    The T. rex actually existed closer in history to humans than it did to the Stegosaurus.
    Cleopatra lived closer in time to the invention of social media than to the construction of the Great Pyramid at Giza.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    Did you know that “umop apisdn” is “upside down” spelled upside down.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    I am the ugliest person ever.

Source: Myself and people at school 
  • DurhamjaideDurhamjaide County Durham Posts: 171 Boards Initiate
    Kasa2103 said:

No I bet you are not. I bet you are lovely,kind and caring. If someone is bothering you should tell someone you trust because that way it will get sorted. 

If you need me I’m here 

Kasa2103 said:

No I bet you are not. I bet you are lovely,kind and caring. If someone is bothering you should tell someone you trust because that way it will get sorted. 

If you need me I’m here 

Thank you but it is true.