[Suggestion] Flagging posts, for guests

AidanAidan Clever idiotPosts: 1,118 Fanatical Poster
The mix boards almost always has more guests than logged-in users.

Guests can't (as far as I'm aware, at least) flag a post. Is this correct?

If logged-out users can flag posts, it'd mean that they can keep anonymity if they don't want The Mix to know who they are whilst reporting a post. This could make users more likely to flag posts that they otherwise wouldn't, because of insecurities or uncertainties.

If guests can flag posts it may lead to getting The Mix's attention more quickly that relying on logged-in users alone.

Is this something that you cannot do, or have reasons for not allowing?

Thanks! :)
I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than you

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Posts: 1,643 Postholic
    @Aidan I’m pretty sure Guests can flag posts - well I mean if I log out and say if I wanted to report this I still can :) 

You have a purpose.
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 1,118 Fanatical Poster
    That's strange @Millie2787 , I get a pop-up after pressing 'Report' that says

Permission Problem

You don't have permission to do that.

• Millie2787Millie2787 Posts: 1,643 Postholic
    edited June 7
    Aidan said:
    That's strange @Millie2787 , I get a pop-up after pressing 'Report' that says

Permission Problem

You don't have permission to do that.

Hmmm @aidan I’ll see if it does it with me 😂 

Edit : Yass does the same for me , it’s strange that why are guests given that option if they can’t attucally do it 
    You have a purpose.
    edited June 8
    Sorry guys I should @ you so you can see this!

@The Mix 

Yeah that is strange eh @Millie2787 maybe it's a constraint with the software itself?
  • The MixThe Mix Posts: 2,205 Community Managers
    edited June 8
    This is an interesting idea @Aidan. In theory, guests reporting posts is a good idea for the reasons you mentioned. :) Anonymity is great and we want to reduce barriers to people flagging things if we can.

Just to give you an insight into how reports work from our end: each report creates a post in a privatised area of the boards that only moderators can see. In order to create that post, the person who reports it needs an account. That means we'd need to enable guest accounts completely for guest reports to work (allowing anyone to post without registering), and we've decided not to do that to prevent spammers from invading. ;)

As for the flag option being visible to guests: not too sure why that's the case and can see how it's a bit confusing! We can look into disabling that.

So I guess the answer here is unfortunately guests can't report posts, but we agree it would be great if they could!

Mike & the team

We're @Aife@Mike, @Italia and @Ed_ - the staff team here at The Mix. We don't provide support via this account, but if you have any questions about the boards or need a hand finding your way around, feel free to drop us a message. Alternatively, you can head over to the Help Desk.
    Aidandavcr0ck
    I see, so it was a choice between guests accounts and the influx of spam and misuse, or only having users be able to flag posts? Thanks for the insight!
    The Mix