Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Would you like to see a 'thanks' reaction?

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited June 2019 in General Chat
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since we added the 'insightful' reaction, and we're now exploring some further additions.

One we're considering is 'thanks'. The idea simply being that you can show your appreciation for a post (perhaps where 'hugs' wouldn't quite fit) without needing to write a full response. Vote on the poll below to say whether this is something you'd like to see. :)

Equally if you have your own ideas for a new reaction, feel free to leave them below!

Mike & the team

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Would you like to see a 'thanks' reaction? 20 votes

Yes
75%
*BananaMonkey*One-in-a-millionAifeindependent_JellyelephantAbigailLucy307Butterfly23RileyDancerGreenTeaLubnadavcr0ckdancertoriDurhamjaide 15 votes
No
25%
SkiveSienaPast UserMillie2787Kathleen07 5 votes

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    No
    I'd say no. Sorry to be such a grump haha :)

I wouldn't object to a thanks reaction, or any other new ones. I just can't think of a situation where it would be much needed.

Hugs, agree, or insightful could work for any post. I think it would get too complicated and unnecessary if we had more reactions. That's just my point of view, I'm open to any thoughts or ideas. x
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,493 Skive's The Limit
    edited June 2019
    No
    No cause id rather people type it rather than click on a icon.
     Too many reactions and no ones gunna bother commenting properly or at all  ah. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    No
    I feel like maybe someone might click it but be using it in a sarcastic way or someone might take the thanks in a sarcastic way when it wasn’t meant if that even makes sense 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,874 Extreme Poster
    Yes
    yeh I want this because sometimes the hugs doesn't quite fit right with your response you want to give. 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    No
    Shaunie said:
     Too many reactions and no ones gunna bother commenting properly or at all  ah. 
    I cannot stress this enough lol. Agreed @Shaunie

I feel like maybe someone might click it but be using it in a sarcastic way or someone might take the thanks in a sarcastic way when it wasn’t meant if that even makes sense 
    And this. I didn't think of that but now the idea is in my head, totally agree. @Millie2787

Finally:
    kathleen0172 said:
    I wouldn't object to a thanks reaction, or any other new ones.
    Changed my mind. I would object. :joy: I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just think it would be too many and just kind of silly.

But I altogether want whatever everyone else wants <3
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Thanks for the opinions so far everyone - keep them coming!

There are pros and cons to both, as you've pointed out. The idea behind this was more to give someone a way to interact and say thanks in situations where they wouldn't otherwise (e.g. if they don't have the energy or time in that moment, or if there's a lot of posts to respond to). We wouldn't want this to replace a proper response, but rather give everyone another way to engage - a bit like the hugs reaction.

We won't go ahead with a change like this unless a high majority of people want it. It doesn't make a massive difference to how things work, after all. :) So we'll see how we go.

Cheers,
    Mike & the team

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    No
    No. Reactions take less effort than a reply, they are less personal. Reactions result in less replies. This is a discussion board, not Facebook.
    Weekender Offender 
    No
    The Mix said:
    There are pros and cons to both, as you've pointed out. The idea behind this was more to give someone a way to interact and say thanks in situations where they wouldn't otherwise (e.g. if they don't have the energy or time in that moment, or if there's a lot of posts to respond to). We wouldn't want this to replace a proper response, but rather give everyone another way to engage - a bit like the hugs reaction.
    That's a clever idea :)

In my opinion, I would've thought that hugs, insightful or agree would all work fine for that. If you want to say thanks, but haven't got the energy or time in the moment, you can either wait until later or just reply with "thank you!".

I think that a thanks reaction (or any other new ones, most likely anyway) would just be making everything confusing. I think people wouldn't know what reaction to click. Or they wouldn't reply properly or at all, as Shaunie and Skive suggested. Or it could be interpreted as sarcastic, as Millie2787 said.

Hugs, agree, and insightful are very broard reactions, and one of them is always going to be suitable. Making other, more specific ones, such as thanks, is just overdoing it.

I hope I'm not being too critical or annoying, I just find it interesting :)
  • davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    Yes
    Yes I would like to see it, I understand that people would still want to see it in words too but generally I would still say it in words and I understand that's not much of an good point but oh well 😂 😂 
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
    edited June 2019
    Thanks folks. Really appreciate the mixture of opinions here and you sharing your reasons for them.

We're keen not to overdo the reactions available, so that's something we're considering. We also really understand the importance of written responses and fuller conversation to you guys - that's certainly not something we want to lose either - so this is a decision we'll make carefully. :) People use online communities in different ways and we want to strike the right balance.

If you haven't voted or shared your thoughts yet and would like to, please do!

Mike & the team

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,614 Legendary Poster
    Yes
    Would have been good if there were a not sure option in this poll, I voted yes as I think I would use it quite a bit especially if there was a lot of posts. But I also agree that it could discourage people from writing a full response. While I would probably still respond if it were practical, I get that some people perhaps wouldn’t. 

The other thing is that because there are no reaction notifications, if someone doesn’t check back they might not see that the person has reacted with a thanks and might wonder why they’ve not received any sort of response if you get what I mean.

So I’m not really sure. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Thanks for your input here @independent_. Reaction notifications are definitely on our wishlist!

As a team, we'll decide if this is something we want to trial and get back to you all with an update... watch this space. :)

Mike & the team

• DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,780 Master Poster
    Yes
    Doing great. Approved by Kasa.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    edited August 2019
    No
    I don’t know why. Maybe me. But I still prefer clicking on the hug button to say thanks rather than thanks. Seems meaning ful. Maybe just me. The thumbs up next to it makes it look sarcastic. & I think you have too many reactions. Lol sorry to be so blunt about it. Didn't know how else to word 

it so reminds me of memes I've seen that are thumbs up thanks that are sarcastic like this

Minus the dickhead lol. 

Though I don't feel it's sarcastic when someone puts it to me. But I don’t know I just keep picturing memes loll 😂

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    No
    I am completely on your side Shaunie :P

I haven't used the thanks reaction even once as a pathetic protest lol. Hugs seems genuine and affectionate and the thanks seems a bit more cold, and yeah the thumbs up also makes it look sarcastic.

I think you may as well make a you're welcome reaction haha. Too many reactions. I respect everyone's opinion of course and I'm glad some people are liking it, but I'll never get behind it I'm afraid.
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited August 2019
    Yes
    I like the thanks, I use it when someone's given me advice on something, I feel like the hug one i overused so I like to use thanks instead sometimes
    No
    I mean I like to think of things in real life content lol. ---Used to like to hug someone when I'm really thankful for them for their support. I mean I used to when I had friends lol. I say thanks to the person who leaves the door open for me cause yeah I wouldn't hug them cause yeah not that grateful lol. I think it's maybe because my sister has started hugging me to say thanks and feel lot more meanful then when she didnt. Then I use insightful or agree for someone's advice or help and I just think - just type things that you can say more striaght forward like thanks. I mean Like you can say "hugs" but a reaction can be good for that can see oh I've got a hug.  I guess all see words differently. But I still think have too many reactions. That's just my opinion tho. I agree with everything  kathleen said, May aswell have your welcome  but yeahif it works for others :)
    Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

This prompted/reminded us to setup a part 2 of this to see how everyone feels now, having had a chance to use the reaction for a while. Feel free to vote and share what you think (you're welcome to copy some thoughts from here if you like).

Mike & the team :star:

• JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,874 Extreme Poster
    Yes
    I like the thanks. Sometimes the other reactions don’t make sense. I like to do the thanks if someone support me or say something nice
    The sun will rise and we will try again