I want to start a petition

AidanAidan Clever idiotPosts: 1,122 Fanatical Poster
edited May 17 in Change The World
I want to start a government petition, however I think it's not the right time currently as most non-brexit articles have been put on the back burner by the government for now.

The petition would be for:

Content warning

Compulsory basic first-aid and self-defence education, and advanced first-aid and self-defence training- in primary schools and secondary schools respectively.

I think that the ability to give a degree of first aid effectively is an essential life skill, as it can be crucial to prolong an injured or ill person's life until professional medical attention can be sought. I think this is the straightforward part, whereas the next bit will probably be more complicated.

Violent crime is an everyday occurrence, particularly in under-privileged urban areas, and I think teaching self-defence to young adults may enable them to save their own life, or the life of another, in circumstances where they are involved in an attack. It can be crucial for someone's survival to successfully parry blows, and disarm and knock-out attackers, and make an escape or a successful stand, as early on in an attack as possible.

The self-defence training should probably have an emphasis on surviving knife attacks, burglaries/home intrusions, and sexual assaults- as these reflect the majority of violent crime.

This training should go hand-in-hand with an education about injury and violent crime, and provision of free and easily accessible information and resources to parents and young adults.

My questions to anyone with experience with petitions or political movements is:
  • What made the political movement successful?
  • What interactions with the government helped?
  • How did the movement pick up speed in the beginning? 
  • How can it reach lots of people and get them involved?

And also, what thoughts do you have about my idea for a petition, and what would you improve about it if anything?

Thank you! :)
Aidan

3.6, not great, not terrible

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Posts: 1,645 Postholic
    edited May 17
    Sounds like a good idea for a petition , I’m not really the best person on answering this lol but thought I’d swing by and and tell you that from 2020 first aid is to be included on the national ciriculem   to be taught , not sure if you knew that :) 

Take alook  here :) primary age kids are to be taught basic first aid such as how to deal with head injuries and secondary to be taught more advanced  such a CPR and How to use defibs http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/support-us/our-campaigns/every-child-a-lifesaver.aspx
    You have a purpose.
    Aidan
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 1,122 Fanatical Poster
    I wasn't aware of that @Millie2787 as we got no first aid training in our schools, thank you! I think then I should focus my petition more on self-defence training and violent-crime education in schools, and resources?
    3.6, not great, not terrible
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Posts: 1,645 Postholic
    We didn’t get any first aid training either , I ended up joking SJA cadets when I was in like year 10 but recently stopped !

Yer I think it was part of a campaign SJA did last year and I think it was around August time that it was passed and then first aid was to be part of the national ciriculm ( really bugs me how I can’t spell this word 🙄) by 2020 - So next year lol ! 

Indeed sounds like like a good idea , I think violent crime should be pushed to be taught in all Pupil referral units and for me I think they are at a increased risk of becoming involved in crime etc as going to a Pru can often be a last step before being permanently thrown out of education.
    You have a purpose.
    Aidan
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Noob Posts: 514 Extreme Poster
    I think this is a good point. I have had both first aid and self defence training however these were through third sector organisations like the princes trust. Interestingly when we did self defence the guy (who was big and strong) said that he would run away if possible if the assailant had a knife and would advise us to do the same. He also showed us a few moves for if this wasn’t possible but the best advice is to get away. First aid is so important! I love the fact that defibrillators are being introduced to the public as these can have a huge impact on the mortality rates of people that have a heart attack in public. Also receiving CPR immediately can be a big help too! I am CPR trained (amongst other stuff) and I think everyone should know these basic life saving skills. I think it could be a good idea to teach it in PSHE for example, maybe getting St. John’s ambulance in to schools to teach them. I think self defence is important and also awareness of “warning signs” if that makes sense because for example the majority of sexual offences are carried out by someone known to the victim so knowing signs of a “bad” relationship could help and things to look out for like being told to keep things secret etc. I don’t think there is enough information given to young people about abusive relationships and support etc whether that’s abuse between partners or family etc 

sorry i have rambled a lot haha 
    Aidan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centreAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file