Have your say on new styling changes by voting on this poll. Don't miss out!

Viking facts

AidanAidan PotatoPosts: 1,378 Fanatical Poster
@Eyepatch because I'm so nice :tongue:

For context for other people, this is just as it says, Viking facts, this is just me 'sperging about a current specific interest so enjoy :joy:

>Vikings were only named Vikings retrospectively, at the time they would have been called Norsemen, although the word 'viking' does come from the old word vikingr which translates to pirate.

>Most Vikings used spears and axes, not swords, because swords used more iron to make and only the wealthiest Vikings could afford so much iron.

Viking battle re-enactment with spears

>Harald Bluetooth, the king who united Denmark, is the namesake of Bluetooth- as Bluetooth was supposed to unite electronic devices. The Bluetooth logo come from combining the runes for his initials, H and B.

Image result for bluetooth logo

>Most of Europe was Christian at the time, and monasteries were often poorly protected as most Europeans wouldn't want to attack a building of Christian importance. However, Vikings were Pagans and often took advantage of the wealth of monasteries and raided them. 

>Vikings longships could go in shallow water, making them ideal for landing on beaches and going up rivers to attack inland.

Image result for viking longship

>In 845 a Viking fleet of 120 ships led by Rognar Lodbrok sailed up the river Seine, sacked Paris, defeated half the French army defending Paris, and were paid 7000 livres (83 thousand ounces of gold and silver's worth of money at the time) as a ransom by King Charles the Bald to leave.

>King of Northumbria Ælla supposedly had legendary Rognar Lodbrok (Lodbrok meaning 'shaggy breeches') executed in a pit of venomous snakes, and in retaliation Rognar's sons gathered the Great Heathen Army that invaded the north east of England in 865 which became known as The Danelaw as the Danes were more prominent there than the Anglo-Saxons.

>Vikings lived in longhouses, long, thin houses with one room, where they shared accommodation with livestock, slept on benches that go along the sides of the house, and had a central fire with a hole in the roof, not a chimney, to allow some smoke to escape- but this hole was often ineffective and stay-at-home Vikings often developed breathing issues and died comparatively young. 
Image result for viking longhouse

>A typical Viking meal would consist of things like bread, cottage cheese, chicken, lamb, mead, ale, and dried fruits sometimes covered in honey. Forks had not been invented, and Vikings used a (usually wooden) pointed knife that could be used as a fork or a knife.

A varied selection of fruit and meats ready for the Viking cooking pot

>We get some English names of our days of the week from the Vikings.

Monday- Moon's day, the day dedicated to the moon
Tuesday- Tyr's day, Norse god of war
Wednesday- Woden's day (Woden being another name for Odin) 
Thursday- Thor's day
Friday- Freyja's day, a Norse goddess
Saturday- not actually Viking, named after Roman god Saturn
Sunday- Sun's day, day dedicated to the sun

>Viking assemblies were known as things (þing), similar to a jury or a council today
Jordan

Comments

• EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 399 Rampant Poster
    Thank you!

i knew about Thursday but not the other days, pretty cool!
    I was told once that they didn’t wear horned helmets either, and that was put in by a cartoonist or a film maker (don’t remember which) and I didn't know about the swords, makes a lot of sense though. 

Thanks for putting in pictures too! 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • AidanAidan Potato Posts: 1,378 Fanatical Poster
    they didn’t wear horned helmets either

That's probably very likely, the idea apparently comes from the discovery of horned helmets in northern Europe but these were from a time before the Vikings, and as you say illustrators started the trend, and costume designers for shows and eventually film kept it going.

Viking helmets were usually just an iron, or hide, hat, sometimes with addition face protection.

• SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,056 I eat threads for breakfast
    They invented Norse Code 
    @Skive 😂😂😂
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • LaineLaine Llama Mama Posts: 1,376 Fanatical Poster

A Viking landed on American shores long before Columbus 
    Although we commonly credit Christopher Columbus with being the European who discovered the land that would become known as the “New World”, Viking explorer Leif Erikson beat him to it by a whopping 500 years.

Might not be true,  who can trust Google 😝😂

🌈Positive thoughts🌈 

"Maybe it's not my weekend,  but it's gonna be my year" ~ All Time Low

"No one else is dealing with your demons, meaning maybe defeating them could be the beginning of your meaning friend" ~ TOP

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille
    >Leif Erikson was indeed the first European (as we know) to set foot in America!

Image result for leif erikson

>Leif Erikson Day is celebrated on 9th October mainly in the USA and Canada, although the date has no meaning in regards to Leaf's life and was chosen for the date a ship from Norway arrived in New York with Norwegian immigrants in 1825.

>His father Erik the Red (they think it's because he had red hair or beard) is thought to have founded the first settlement in Greenland after he was apparently exiled from Norway as well as Iceland.
    This is probably the most wholesome thread I've read. 

Aparently As well as inventing combs Vikings also invented fines for when people broke the law :open_mouth:
    >Viking communities made up laws in the things I mentioned earlier, and because a lot of vikings were illiterate, things were attended by a speaker who could recite all the laws from memory!

470px-Olav_den_helliges_saga_CK5jpg

>Things didn't carry out a sentence though, that would often be done by the family of the wronged party.

>Punishments for Vikings were often a fine as you said, and also the most severe punishment, outlawry, called skóggangur.

>An outlaw's property was confiscated, they were taken beyond the boundaries of their community never to return, and nobody was allowed to help or support them. An outlaw could be killed and it would go unpunished.

>To settle a dispute between two Vikings, they could duel. Someone would watch over the fight to ensure it was fair.