We're currently updating and consolidating our community guidelines, so you might see a few changes and things being moved to more relevant places. We're not changing how things currently work, just making sure what's written is accurate and up to date.

Grenfell Tower bonfire

AidanAidan Clever idiotPosts: 825 Incredible Poster
Hey everyone,

The video of the Grenfell Tower effigy being burned on a bonfire was all over the news last night and this morning, and I was wondering what everyone's opinions of it was?

I think it was in poor taste, but many think it shouldn't be illegal to have a bad sense of humour, and that there have been plenty of worse things people have done, and that there's more important stuff that should be on the news instead.

Respect to the 72 who died, their friends and family, the survivors and the rescuers.

What do you think about it? 

(I'll make the poll anonymous for those who don't want their opinion public)

Grenfell Tower bonfire 11 votes

It was funny
9% 1 vote
It was distasteful, but not criminal
45% 5 votes
It was criminal
36% 4 votes
Meh
9% 1 vote

Comments

• ShaunieShaunie :): England 🏠Posts: 2,338 Mega Poster
    I dont think this should even be a question tbh.

What kind of sicko thinks that is funny.

It is criminal and very disgusting. Have no idea why anyone would find that funny in the slightist.The video is so very disgusting to watch. 
    “If we could look into each other’s hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us face, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.” ~ Marvin J Ashton 🌸🌸🌸
    AidanLaineLucy307
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 825 Incredible Poster
    I dont think this should even be a question tbh. 
    That's your opinion and I respect that, but the wide range of opinions is what makes me think we should ask questions about this. The news has reported this as a headline, as the breaking news, so clearly the media is buying into the shock people will experience from it and I'm trying to build a perspective on other people's opinions from it all- so thank you for yours (:

I agree that it's in bad taste, although the most disgusting thing to me is of course that someone with power and responsibility was either too stupid to foresee Grenfell, or didn't care enough about human life, to stop such preventable massacre. Any of my feelings about the video shrink in comparison to that.

edited November 6
    But it shouldnt be debatable imo — it is criminal.  is not only just “bad sense of humour”. It is racist, disgustig and hate crime. I can see why you would ask it though as there are different views
    “If we could look into each other’s hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us face, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.” ~ Marvin J Ashton 🌸🌸🌸
    edited November 6
    Again, thanks for your opinion (:

I've seen that the 5 men have been arrested on suspicion of a public order offence as defined by the Public Order Act 1986, not for hate crime as defined by the 1999 National Crime Victim Survey or the Crime and Disorder act 1998, so we'll find out at some point in the future what criminal act was committed if any.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline! No morality! No respect! New ForestPosts: 14,822 Part of the furniture
    Grenfell Fire: 72 deaths. Many more made homeless. Largely forgotten about in the public sphere. No arrests

Morons burning a cardboard box: 0 deaths. Huge offence caused to people with no connection to the real tragedy. 5 arrests.

Theresa May: over a year late housing Grenfell victims very angry about bonfire effigy.
    AidanHannLabraBell
    In agreement there @Skive, it pales in contrast to the actual fire and I think it's being treated like it's more serious and bigger than it is
    edited November 6
    i dont think you can compare the two. It is horrible no one was arrested for the actual fire and no justice. But it takes a whole lot to investigate and said would take after 2019 as massive investigation and this is obviosly more easier to arrest as they handed themselves in. But Just because no one was arrested for the fire - i dont think it makes this any less serious than it is or shouldnt have justice 
    Justice might be out of place, it's unknown yet if it is even a crime. For it to be a public order offense as they've been arrested on suspicion of, there needs to be certain criteria met; Metro quoting a lecturer of law:

'Prosecution of the suspects will depend largely on whether there is sufficient evidence to demonstrate an intention to cause harassment'

I don't think there was meant to be harassment and it was just a (distasteful) joke between mates.

But we'll see if a charge sticks.

Yeah but Crime or not. Unsure on how you can compare the two. & joke or not - still harmful - people do things and crimes they regret straight after - - they still go to prison cause still damaging
  • SkiveSkive No discipline! No morality! No respect! New ForestPosts: 14,822 Part of the furniture
    Justice for who and for what? As soon as we start criminalising people for hurting other peoples feelings then we're fucked.

Shaunie said:
    Yeah but Crime or not. Unsure on how you can compare the two. & joke or not - still harmful - people do things and crimes they regret straight after - - they still go to prison cause still damaging
    Who was harmed and who was damaged?
    edited November 6
    Um there is offending someone by caling them “idiot”. And there is being racist and mocking people involved &who have lost their lives and making a hateful disgusting video. Many people are upset and offended
    Shaunie said:
    Um there is offending someone by caling them “idiot”. And there is being racist and mocking people involved &who have lost their lives and making a hateful disgusting video. Many people are upset and offended
    I have to admit here that I haven't seen the video - only short clips on the news. There is an important and key difference between causing offence and racism or hate speech.

Offending somebody should absolutely not be a criminal offence. 
    Attacking a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion or ethnic ethnic origin should absolutely be a criminal offence.
    Hann
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 377 Rampant Poster
    I think it was a sort of ‘too soon’ situation if you know what I mean.  Making jokes about historical events and things reported in the news is okay, but the ones who suffered have to be considered. Otherwise the joke becomes harmful, disrespectful and in quite bad taste. 

Years ago there was a couple who dressed as the 9/11 towers and it was very hurtful for people around them to see a recent suffering become someone else’s joke. 

If you want to make a joke about others, think about the audience. Is it going online, or just with friends who understand that you’d never harm anyone intentionally? 

At least, that’s what I think. It’s an interesting topic and reading everyone’s ideas is very insightful.
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
    Its not a ‘too soon’ thing. Dont think that sick joke will ever be funny even if it was done 20 years later.  Mockin in such a sick way is just not funny. 

I dont think i should read this anymore. 
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 377 Rampant Poster
    @Shaunie
    I'm sorry I upset you, I don't think it's 'too soon' myself, I agree it shouldn't have been done. I just think comedians or those who make those kind of jokes should have considered how recently it happened before they made their joke.

Again, sorry I was unclear. Hope you are feeling alright 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
    Shaunie