We have 1 place left for support circle on Tuesday evening. You can sign-up here.
We're currently updating and consolidating our community guidelines, so you might see a few changes and things being moved to more relevant places. We're not changing how things currently work, just making sure what's written is accurate and up to date.

Women-only and men-only chats

AidanAidan Clever idiotPosts: 830 Incredible Poster
Hi,

On the descriptions for men/women-only chats on http://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/group-chat it describes each chat as:

Men only: A place for anyone who identifies as male to talk about a variety of topics, share experiences and meet people.

Women only: Talk about anything that's on your mind. A judgement-free zone to get and give advice within a women-only group.

Does this mean that anyone identifying as a man can join men-only but a woman-only user has to be biologically female? Is women-only chat for advice whilst men-only is just for meeting people? Because the two descriptions are so different, I find it confusing and think it implies partial treatment of the two sexes.

Because here http://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3540898/what-is-group-chat#latest both of the chats share the same description, maybe the descriptions here http://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/group-chat are just unchanged and need updating. Maybe this is just very petty, but for whatever reason the pettiest things annoy me the most :joy:

I did want to post this on a feedback form but couldn't find a link to one that worked- and also thought posting it as a thread gives other people the chance to share their view on this.

Thanks!
Aidan

Comments

• LaineLaine Horse hugger Posts: 714 Incredible Poster
    Hey Aidan 🙂
    I have been thinking about this myself but haven't posted anything because I don't often like stating my opinion.

However I do agree with the confusion in descriptions, they may just be a different term of phrase but I do find them rather confusing.

I've often found women only chat used to get busy when I used it and that made getting support much harder as it replaces support chat doesn't it?  It's a great idea for those seeking help relating to their sex and getting support in a safe space but it does make getting support a little harder.

Men only chat is usually dead I find as it used to be a sort of second general chat but smaller?  I often found myself getting support in there because it was way less busy than women only chat, and even though I consider myself rather gender neutral and have slightly more masculinity than femininity I still felt bad as I did not fully identify as male. 

I haven't thought about any changes that can be made that I feel should be at the moment as its something I've newly thought about and don't feel I have a say in as I used it many moons ago before the new chat x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈 

"So wake me up when it's all over, when I'm wiser and I'm older" ~ Avicii

"The months go by and I only feel worse,  try to forget the ones who forgot you first"  ~ Man Overboard

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 830 Incredible Poster
    I realise now this should be in problems and suggestions- sorry!
  • The MixThe Mix Staff team Posts: 1,699 Moderator
    Hey both of you,

Thanks so much for raising this @Aidan. You're both totally right, the descriptions on this page were outdated and a little unclear. We've now updated them to read:
    A place for anyone identifying as (female/male) to talk about a variety of topics, share experiences and meet people. This group is also open to those of a non-binary gender identity.
    This actually brings us more in line with how we promote them on the boards, too (quoted below). :)
    Women & Men-only Chats: Places to talk about anything on your mind in a safe, supportive environment with people of a similar gender identity. Anyone is welcome to attend the room they identify with most at the time. For any non-binary or non-conforming folks out there, you're welcome in whichever space you're most comfortable.
    Interesting that you mention the difference in the two spaces, @Laine. Given the majority of the community is female-identifying, WoC does naturally get much busier than MoC. Something we're going to be working on in the very near future is how we can make both these spaces more useful, particularly as MoC does remain fairly unused compared to WoC.

This is something we'll be asking for your feedback on (similarly to Under 16's Chat), so watch this space. ;)

Thank you for pointing this out - definitely something that slipped by us!

Mike
    We're @Aife@Mike and @Ed_ - the staff team here at The Mix. We don't provide support via this account, but if you have any questions about the boards or need a hand finding your way around, feel free to drop us a message. Alternatively, you can head over to the Help Desk.
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 830 Incredible Poster
    I think this will make the purpose of the chats more clear, especially to newer users.

I'm also looking forward to see how chat evolves after all this feedback- there's never been a better time to make chat changes than now with the use of newer software.

Thanks guys, you're always doing a great job! :) (although a less condescending smile would be great :joy: )
    Aidan 
    The Mix
  • LaineLaine Horse hugger Posts: 714 Incredible Poster
    The Mix said:
    Hey both of you,

Thanks so much for raising this @Aidan. You're both totally right, the descriptions on this page were outdated and a little unclear. We've now updated them to read:
    A place for anyone identifying as (female/male) to talk about a variety of topics, share experiences and meet people. This group is also open to those of a non-binary gender identity.
    This actually brings us more in line with how we promote them on the boards, too (quoted below). :)
    Women & Men-only Chats: Places to talk about anything on your mind in a safe, supportive environment with people of a similar gender identity. Anyone is welcome to attend the room they identify with most at the time. For any non-binary or non-conforming folks out there, you're welcome in whichever space you're most comfortable.
    Interesting that you mention the difference in the two spaces, @Laine. Given the majority of the community is female-identifying, WoC does naturally get much busier than MoC. Something we're going to be working on in the very near future is how we can make both these spaces more useful, particularly as MoC does remain fairly unused compared to WoC.

This is something we'll be asking for your feedback on (similarly to Under 16's Chat), so watch this space. ;)

Thank you for pointing this out - definitely something that slipped by us!

Mike
    Thanks Mike!  I feel less bad for using men only chat in the past now haha :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈 

"So wake me up when it's all over, when I'm wiser and I'm older" ~ Avicii

"The months go by and I only feel worse,  try to forget the ones who forgot you first"  ~ Man Overboard

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille
    The Mix