Home Gender & Sexuality
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

LGBTQ+ Club 🏳️‍🌈

Alicia27Alicia27 Posts: 2 Newbie
I set up this club/discussion for people who are LGBTQ+ (like me!!) to talk to each other, discuss our experiences and help each other with any problems we might have!! 

Comments

• Alicia27Alicia27 Posts: 2 Newbie
    I’ll start this off with a topic we can talk about: coming out. I’ve come out to only 3 of my closest friends, and before I came out, I was so scared to!! One of my friends came out to me, and it made it easier for me to come out to her!! What’s your experience with coming out?? 
  • MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    edited May 2018
    First, welcome to our boards, @Alicia27 :smile:

It's important to make friends online, at LGBTQ+ events etc to spread your wings and connect with other people with feelings similar to yours. During conversation, little things people mention could relate to how you have been feeling, so this is good because establishing contact increases your social networking. *Thumbs up*

When I came out as a lesbian last year, most of my family were cool. Most people I know now are cool and accepting especially in the music business I orbit, and I think this is because there is a general acceptance for gays and bisexuals in most countries (except Italy it seems and Russia), unless people are raving fundamentalist Christians - but we won't go there. A pair of friends I knew for a long time were appalled at my sexuality and made hurtful remarks. Like I did, you have to walk away from these pig ignorant people, they will never learn what it's like to be gay or whatever sexual orientation one chooses.

Looking back, I have never been happier for coming out. You only have one life to live. So live it the way you want, but never be bullied into silence by your critics. Make this year something to be awesome no matter what others say - dance to your own tune!

Wishing you all the best,

- Belle

• JustbeingmeJustbeingme Posts: 1 Just got here
    Hi, I'm Gurjot im 19 :) nice too meet you all 
  • PuffinEthicsPuffinEthics Posts: 74 Budding Regular
    Hi Guys, 

This looks like a great thread, its very hard for people to share these experiences, so its nice for there to be a place for people to do that. 

I came out to my friends as bisexual when I was 14, it took me till I was 26 to come out to my family. I'm really happy that I did, and it was absolutely fine, I just had to explain a lot of things as bisexuality is quite misunderstood, especially as I'm in a committed relationship with a woman, so appear straight. 

But yeah, it was pretty positive and I'm lucky to have the family that I do. 

Community and sharing your experiences is really important, especially as lgbt+ people can feel quite isolated, but we're all in this together so its lovely that you and your friend could share that together @Alicia27 :) 

How are you getting on? 

Thanks for sharing, 

-Puffin Ethics