Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Break ups: the good, the bad & the down right shameless!

Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
We came across this Vice article and it made us think, ‘what is it about breaking up with someone that makes it so hard?’ :banghead:

Funny-Break-Up-Memes-9.jpg

It’s ok to break up with someone if it isn’t working but how can this be done in a way that is kind to them? As a starting point we have come up with some categories based on some of the good and bad experiences people at TheSite towers have had:

The hug runner
Once a boyfriend was going to visit his family so I took him to the train station. As he tried to hug me goodbye, I flinched and said "no more" and started running. He chased me a little bit but I keeeeeeeeeept going. I think he also missed his train....though I am not sure because I was running.

The Tupperware termination
I went to their house, with their favourite food and all their belongings. Then golden rule: cut contact! None at all for at least 3 - 6 months. It was swift and painless.

The DM revenge
A girlfriend I broke up with wrote me a whole essay on what a terrible person I was, and sent it to me as the longest Facebook message I’ve ever received. I deleted the message as I thought that was the healthiest thing to do with it at the time. I wish I had it now!

The telephone cop-out
I called this guy who I'd been seeing over the Summer at Uni and dumped him on the phone while he was in the bath. He was gutted and when we met up years later he mentioned how he was really upset at how I did it.

The Holiday compensation
We hadn’t been together too long and I was going away for 3 months, things weren’t going too well and this gave us both an excuse to call things off without any heartbreak – on top of this, I got to have a nice holiday too!

I would love to hear your experiences too :yes: Have you ever broken up with someone and you both felt really happy about how it went? :yippe: Or did you have the best intentions but then suddenly chicken out and WhatsApp them? :no:

Vote on the poll, telling us which of these is the kindest way of breaking up and let us know your experiences below!
FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Break ups: the good, the bad & the down right shameless! 4 votes

The hug runner
0% 0 votes
The tupperware termination
100% 4 votes
The DM revenge
0% 0 votes
The telephone cop-out
0% 0 votes
The Holiday compensation
0% 0 votes