Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Post of the month- May!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
May has been and gone, but it was filled with prize worthy posts! But only one can win! The nominations are:

Fiend_85 nominated by Ballerina:

Random thoughts
When I was at university, I did a project during my MSc year with 4 other people, all guys, all from primarily Islamic countries. We had to report on the production of a bikini trimmer (how the design could be improved, how assembly could be easier, what the packaging could be changed to to reduce material use etc.).

But First...

I had to explain to four gentlemen from Islamic countries what a bikini trimmer was used for.

JsT nominated by **Helen**:

Post natal depression
I can't offer any practical advice (as you well know!) but I just wanted to say I think you and Josh are doing an awesome job. If I manage as well as you I'll be pretty pleased.

Arctic Roll & Fiend_85 nominated by Scary Monster:

Sexism is alive and well (unfortunately)
But it isn't even that that annoys me. I hate the whole gender-specific toys idea. Dr Magnanti posted an excellent flowchart recently about that:
But I think the Everyday Sexism thing loses some of its power when they get riled about every sexist joke ever made by anyone, ever.
These are two true facts with which I wholeheartedly agree.

*Simba* nominated by **Helen**:

Fairlytale couples vs reality couples
(in response to "people love a good getting together story)
They do, that's called "HOPE". Life can be really grim if we go on living in reality only, we need to have fairy tales, love stories, miracles, magic and above all.
There are many artists who haven not been in successful relationship themselves but, not all of them portray the same in their work, writing, painting, songs, etc. coz' world needs hope.
But, then what do I know, I'm just a hopeless romantic and a dreamer.

Ella! nominated by me:

Time for another ranty thread
Flat-pack furniture: created to test even the strongest of friendships to see who will slap the other person first.

Scary Monster nominated by Piccolo:

acceptance and moving on
It's not going to be an overnight sensation. The fact that you're making steps forward is in itself brilliant.

Grace nominated by me and Baa ram ewe:

relatively happy good news thread
Today I drove around town with my friend, and we sang along to the new daft punk song and got a Subway. And that's great, but what it mostly made me realise was that I moved to this city, this country, knowing nothing and noone and now I've got a job and a life and friends who I love and who love me. I can't be that useless if I can do all of that by myself. Right this second I'm really happy to be me

Me (Broken-Angel) nominated by Ella!:

Facebook
Do you mean the "ticker" thing at the side of the screen? If you've got google chrome you can download an app to disable that so you can't see it. It drove me bloody insane!

I deleted my old facebook because the number of friends got ridiculous, above 800. Anyone who has more than 50 mutual friends with you sees it fit to add you as their friend, which is annoying.

I wouldn't say facebook is boring and crap though, because I don't expect it to be exciting. I go on there to message friends, and it's a good way to keep up to date with events like my friends gigs, or school charity things etc. I rarely scroll through all my news feed, I start to... and then I get to some "facebook famous" girl sticking her boobs out and doing the duck face and I remember that thankfully I have a life outside of social media.

Kaff nominated by Piccolo:

Woolwich
(in response to "it's time to get non british people to leave)
How 'non-british' are we talking? My mum is not British, should she leave? Should I? I was born in Leeds, where would you like me to go back to?

Actually, hold on. None of this is relevant because my mum and I are both white. Cause that's what we're really talking about, aren't we?

Maybe it's just cause I don't have a mind of my own that I think it is contemptible to judge people solely on their nationality, their religion or on the colour of their skin. Silly me.

And that's it folks! Vote now! (sorry if any of the links don't work etc, first time I've done one of these. Please let me know if there's anything wrong!)

Oh and, just because it's May... here's a photo of my dog (called May) looking overly pathetic:
cIFm5les.jpg

:D

Post of the month- May! 26 votes

Fiend_85
15% 4 votes
JsT
3% 1 vote
Fiend_85 & Arctic Roll
3% 1 vote
*Simba*
23% 6 votes
Ella!