Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why US drug commercials piss me off so much

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Another thread (which I'm unable to recall at the moment, unfortunately) touched on this subject and it served as a powerful reminder of my hatred of anti-drug commercials here in the US. It's not even that the dangers are exaggerated or shown as melodramatic portrayals of futures of inevitable hardships; their newest approach is simply to spread the impression that drug users are...idiots. Stupid. Not a hint of tact or common sense whatsoever. Well fuck that. I'd rather see the return of those "this is your brain on drugs" bullshit commercials that referenced a human brain as a frying egg in the classic vague description that "drugs fry your brain".

The tagline is always the same: "yesterday, my friends said I should smoke pot...so I did. The today they said I should ***insert absolutely the most fucking ridiculous, nonsensical, and unlikely to happen shit that you can imagine here***, so I did that too and ***bad thing happened as a result, blah-blah-blah-fuckity-blah***...I'm an idiot (or "i'm really stupid")

I can't remember many of the different commericals (there are a lot of 'em though!), but one was about his friends asking him to break into a power plant or something and then it shows him running away from the guard dog.........

.......WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOUR FRIENDS ASK YOU TO BREAK INTO A POWER PLANT?! And why the fuck would anyone agree to do it? God, this is so ridiculous, it makes me sick. Seeing the commercial is much worse than hearing about it, trust me. Another one was about his friends asking him to pick a fight with a huge kid at school (this was a radio ad, but the voice made it sound like the guy picking a fight was really wimpy). Again.....WTF!?!?!?!? I can't remember the other ones, but there are many FAR more absurd that these examples.

Does this piss any one else off? Sound off in the pole and let me know...

Why US drug commercials piss me off so much 29 votes

It makes me rather annoyed.
24% 7 votes
I get so mad I'll change the damn channel!
0% 0 votes
r u kidding m3? they are t0tally right on!!!!! drugz r bad u no...
6% 2 votes
Doesn't affect me, don't care...
31% 9 votes
I'm fucking pissed!! Time to stip up some riots somewhere other than London...
6% 2 votes
Ha ha! Hope they only get worse, ya bunch of crackheads!
24% 7 votes
I'll break the neck of anyone who chose option 6....or 3...
6% 2 votes