Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does breastfeeding in public offend you?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's World Breastfeeding Week next week (August 1st) and I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss.

Are you offended by the sight of nursing mothers? If so, why?

I haven't witnessed it myself, but I've heard stories of women getting the filthiest of looks, and being told their behaviour is vulgar all because they're feeding their babies. A friend of mine was chased away by a sales assistant and told to feed her babs in the toilets (could you eat your meal in the loos?)

Have breasts been changed into something so sexual and tantalising, that we've forgotten what they're there for in the first place, so when we see them on show (well, not on show as a lot of women can do it discretely) it's a shock? Even a while back, someone commented that they'd feel uncomfortable breastfeeding, as they'd associate it with something sexual.

If you were uncomfortable with the sight of it, what would you prefer as an alternative?

Does breastfeeding in public offend you? 74 votes

Yes
6% 5 votes
No
87% 65 votes
Other (please state)
5% 4 votes