Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Psychosis or Religious

Suziet92Suziet92 Posts: 1 Just got here
Hi my name is Suzie, I'm 25 & I have joined the group to research Psychosis. My brother who is 21 experienced a traumatic episode 5 weeks ago, he's got a home care plan and is being assessed. He hasn't been given medication yet but he's suffering from bad thoughts and he's turned religious, he is convinced he's had a religious experience but before this happened he'd never visited a church it's completely out of character for him. He believes he will go to hell if he doesn't surrender himself, he is extremely anxious and worried all the time. We're hoping the consultant gives him medication to ease the bad thoughts. My mum has had a few breakdowns in her time so we thought it was obviously hereditary but the mental health team think it could be a stress reaction. We were both raised by my dad who's suffered extreme depression, he was suicidal on a daily basis growing up, very bitter, impatient and down, upset, angry about the outside world. I know it's affected me so I'm thinking this has had a big affect on my brother too. The mental health team are being very cautious about his diagnosis due to this so I guess it's a good thing that they are looking into it properly. I have a meeting with them and my brother to discuss our childhood this week.
If anyone has had any similar experiences drop me a message
Thanks
Suzie

Comments

• Options
    MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Suziet92 wrote: »
    Hi my name is Suzie, I'm 25 & I have joined the group to research Psychosis. My brother who is 21 experienced a traumatic episode 5 weeks ago, he's got a home care plan and is being assessed. He hasn't been given medication yet but he's suffering from bad thoughts and he's turned religious, he is convinced he's had a religious experience but before this happened he'd never visited a church it's completely out of character for him. He believes he will go to hell if he doesn't surrender himself, he is extremely anxious and worried all the time. We're hoping the consultant gives him medication to ease the bad thoughts. My mum has had a few breakdowns in her time so we thought it was obviously hereditary but the mental health team think it could be a stress reaction. We were both raised by my dad who's suffered extreme depression, he was suicidal on a daily basis growing up, very bitter, impatient and down, upset, angry about the outside world. I know it's affected me so I'm thinking this has had a big affect on my brother too. The mental health team are being very cautious about his diagnosis due to this so I guess it's a good thing that they are looking into it properly. I have a meeting with them and my brother to discuss our childhood this week.
    If anyone has had any similar experiences drop me a message
    Thanks
    Suzie

Hi @Suziet92 and welcome to the forum. :)

Because you only have one post, it will be difficult to contact you by private message and you to reply back, such is the forum's post count-pm system, so I'll answer you here.

I am sorry your brother appears to have got caught up with such an overbearing church because some have idealogies that are incompatible with our way of life and lifestyle. And some churches could be cults. Such, though I am not suggesting your brother has been ensnared by one should no way make him feel anxious or even severely anxious, but I feel you should get a neighbour or someone close to you to get him out and away from this place. Clearly, it's not doing him any good so I feel the obligation is yours to make.

Once free of this church, then your brother may be able to stabilize so his mental health team can make a fair assessment. That their being cauteous at present is a good sign, so when you come to meet them with him, perhaps you could say that this church has been having a negative and unhealthy affect on him, and see what they say.

Wishing you and your brother all the best, Suzie. Do let us know how you get on.

~ Belle
  • Options
    PuffinEthicsPuffinEthics Posts: 74 Budding Regular
    Hi @Suziet92

Firstly, thanks for sharing, and secondly I'm sorry your going through something really tough.
    I can understand that this is a really worrying time for your family.

I personally can't offer any similar experiences, but this could help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcZ_F1eua-I

It sounds like he's in a tough place but as he's being assessed currently is on the way to getting some sort of solution?

Here's some information about psychosis which may help you https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/psychosis/#.Wr1aqNPwb9A
    And some specific information on how you can help in this situation https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/psychosis/for-friends-and-family/#.Wr1a6tPwb9A

Remember to look after yourself in this situation, and practise some general self-care - make time for yourself.

I hope that can be of some help, let us know how you get on?

Thanks,

:rainbow:PuffinEthics