We're currently updating and consolidating our community guidelines, so you might see a few changes and things being moved to more relevant places. We're not changing how things currently work, just making sure what's written is accurate and up to date.

Boards FAQ

The MixThe Mix Staff teamPosts: 1,849 Moderator
edited October 2018 in Help Desk
Hey everyone,

For those of you who haven't read our boards post over here, we're going to be moving to a new boards software called Vanilla. We've created this thread where we will answer any questions we get asked about the new boards software. For those of you who missed the Q&A chat we ran about Vanilla, we've included some of the questions asked in this thread too.

When will the new boards arrive?
All being well, the new boards will launch on the 24th of May. However, there is a small chance this may be pushed back to the 25th of May.

How will we get rid of spam?
The new boards will have a few extra anti-spam features. As you've gathered, they will include the ability for anyone to report a post as spam. When a post receives a certain number of reports, it's hidden automatically. This feature means that everyone will have the collective power to nuke spam.

Will the new software work on mobiles?
Yep! One of the reasons for switching is that the current boards are pretty clunky on mobile. The new boards are optimised much better for mobile.

Will there be an app for the new software?
Not initially no. An app is one of the most common requests we get, but it's not something we're currently working on.

When transferring over to the new software, will there be a period of time when we won't be able to access the boards?
The answer is yes. The boards will be down for just under 2 days from the 23rd to the 24th of May while we move everything over.

Will all of our old posts move over too?
All posts and private messages will be moved over. But it's worth knowing that we can only transfer over accounts for people that have given us permission. To give us permission, people need to have logged in between the date of the announcement and the final move date (unless you specifically ask us to transfer your account or delete your account).

Note: Unfortunately, we can't transfer your profile signatures. If you want to keep your signature, we'd recommend copying and pasting it somewhere safe and adding it to your account again after the move.

Does that mean that the database of old accounts will be cleared?
We'll keep posts from all accounts (unless someone asks us to delete theirs), but the accounts will be deleted. Their posts will be marked as 'previous member'
this unfortunately means that we're likely to lose the vast majority of the 61,000 registered accounts

If an account is under guest, like one of my old accounts, that will be deleted won't it?
The posts will remain, but the account will go.

Will you be sending out an email to all registered users letting them know you're moving and giving them chance to log back in if they want to come back later?
We've done that already. If you haven't received one, please let us know.

Is it much of a change in terms of first looks?
Our aim is to keep things fairly similar so it shouldn't be a big shock. While some things will change, most things should look pretty familar (think layout, colours and so on). For example, the home page will have the same structure than it does now.

If you've signed up as a beta tester, you'll get early access and be able to help us shape the new look too! If you're not sure whether you signed up or not, but would definitely like to help test the new boards, feel free to post in this thread letting us know.

When the clocks change the board times don't update. Will this happen on the new boards?
We're hoping the clock will update automatically and be more reliable than it is right now :)

Will we be able to edit our posts?
You will, yep. Similarly to how things work now, there will probably be about an hour or so after posting where you can edit. After that, any edits will need to be done by a moderator (again, similarly to how things work here).

On Vanilla forum would it be possible to have a friends list? As with some forums, you put in a request to 'friend' a member and they have the option of accepting or refusing. And, vice-versa.
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to have a friends list with Vanilla.
We're @Aife@Mike, @Italia and @Ed_ - the staff team here at The Mix. We don't provide support via this account, but if you have any questions about the boards or need a hand finding your way around, feel free to drop us a message. Alternatively, you can head over to the Help Desk.

Comments

• MirabelleMirabelle Owl Whisperer Kensington.Posts: 1,020 Fanatical Poster
    Thank you for posting the Vanilla faqs. Sorry I wasn't at the Saturday meet. Just one question, but I haven't yet received an email of your moving, giving me a chance to log back in later, so please would you send me the appropriate? Thank you. :)

Regarding not having an app for the new software, developing an app can be very costly. Here is a helpful guideline based on a set of questions from 1 to 10 to determine the cost.

https://www.howmuchcostanapp.co.uk/

'If you think education is expensive, try estimating the cost of ignorance'.

- Howard Gardner
  • independent_independent_ Boards Baby ScotlandPosts: 1,126 Fanatical Poster
    Thank you for this!!

It’s just dawned on me why a lot of long-ago members have been popping back up recently... the email!!! I was really confused when loads of 2000-05 members were online one day!!

But I also didn’t get the email (I don’t think)!
  • AbigailAbigail Carer/musician Posts: 504 Extreme Poster
    I might have to agree with @independent_ Its really wired ins't it.

I don''t think i got an email either sorry.
    Some people think i am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking
    That being said, though, I have over 400 unread emails across my inboxes... will I be able to find it even if it is there? Will I heck!! ;)
    400 you say? That is quite an achievement! XD

- Howard Gardner
    Mirabelle wrote: »
    400 you say? That is quite an achievement! XD

I remember clearing out my emails a couple of days before my 15th, which was at the beginning of December... and it’s now the end of February (nearly) and I haven’t cleared them out since. Just can’t be bothered!!

I remember clearing out my emails a couple of weeks before my 15th.... which was at the beginning of December... and it’s now the end of February (nearly) and I haven’t cleared them out since. Just can’t be bothered!!

I guess it will take an awful lot of clicks! And takings ages, too. Frankly I don't blame you one bit! :d

- Howard Gardner
    Mirabelle wrote: »

I guess it will take an awful lot of clicks! And takings ages, too. Frankly I don't blame you one bit! :d

But I guess I will need to if I am to find this email!!

Although, since I set boards notifications to not come through as often, I don’t get quite as many emails from here!!

But I guess I will need to if I am to find this email!!

Although, since I set boards notifications to not come through as often, I don’t get quite as many emails from here!!

Then ask Mike or Aife to resend, and then their email will land on TOP of your email pile. You'll be sure to see it then! :thumb:

- Howard Gardner
  • Pabs11Pabs11 Posts: 17 Fast Newbie
    Hi, Can I have some more info on the vanilla software as I only found out about it today.
    Thanks
    Pabs
    Pabs11 wrote: »
    Hi, Can I have some more info on the vanilla software as I only found out about it today.
    Thanks
    Pabs

Welcome to the forum @Pabs11 wave.gif

I am sure @Mike[/USER] or [USER="95712"]Aife will help you get settled here and in Vanilla when it starts up. Just hang in here, okay? By the way, because of your low post count, I am unable to pm you, but you have my other contactable address.

Wishing you all the best,

~ Belle

- Howard Gardner
  • Pabs11Pabs11 Posts: 17 Fast Newbie
    Hi,
    Can someone answer a few questions for me on Vanilla?, will there be a site link or something on how to access the software?, I haven't recieved any email on the software can someone send it to me please?.
    Thank you alot,
    Pabs
  • The MixThe Mix Staff team Posts: 1,849 Moderator
    Hey @Pabs11 of course more than happy to answer your questions. :yippe:

Once we've moved to the new forum, all you need to do is come to this same website and the new boards will be here already. You won't need a different link or anything. I'll make sure to send you an email with the information about the boards software. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions at all.

- Aife
    We're @Aife@Mike, @Italia and @Ed_ - the staff team here at The Mix. We don't provide support via this account, but if you have any questions about the boards or need a hand finding your way around, feel free to drop us a message. Alternatively, you can head over to the Help Desk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Fanatical Poster
    Excuse my butting in @Aife but I was going to ask this, so thanks very much! Just logging in from our bookmarks will be great. Less anxiety now. :)

I'm driven by self doubt.