Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

compliments.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
taking compliments: discuss.

taking compliments is an issue with me. i hate it when people totally throw a compliment back in someone's face ('you're so pretty' 'oh god no i'm not') cause i think it's really rude. i also mostly disagree with what people say about me. which leaves me stuck.

if my boyfriend, or someone in my family compliments me, i'm fine. i'll just smile and thank them. but my housemate does it all the time, and i never know what to say back to him.

how do you deal with compliments?

Comments

• Options
    I make the most of them! Especially if I've gone to some effort and people notice it. Smile and thank, that's my policy :)
  • Options
    I tend to just smile if some one says "your pretty" or something to me.
  • Options
    If I vaguely agree, then I'll smile at them and thank them. If I disagree, I'll say so. So I guess I'm one of those rude people in that respect. What can I say? I've grown up with a low opinion of myself.
  • Options
    i get embarassed and never know what to say. usually i end up saying either something really stupid or just saying thanx and then giggling and saying that i'm all embarassed.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Preciosa
    If I vaguely agree, then I'll smile at them and thank them. If I disagree, I'll say so. So I guess I'm one of those rude people in that respect. What can I say? I've grown up with a low opinion of myself.

Same with me, i have grown up with an exremly low opinion of myself when someone complements me i think they are just taking the piss
  • Options
    *Thinks hard* Damn, I can't ever remember getting a compliment! :( I'm sure I must have had some at some time?
    Actually, I have got a few unintentional compliments about my age, so that's something at least.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
  • Options
    i love compliments,

i stay in the room i'm stuck in due to the size of my head.
  • Options
    I always thank the person. I try to play things down a bit, so as not to appear arrogant, but I would never disagree with what had been said.
  • Options
    If it is someone in the family i just say thanks, i usually get embarrassed if its someone i really do not know, and who are older (i mean quite old)
  • Options
    My G/f has two ways of dealing with compliments

Firstly if i say something like "your fab" then she just smiles

if i say something more on the lines of how sexy she is, she just hides her face away or trys to avoid me, think she has trouble hearing it, she doesn't throw it back in my face, but i feel like i can't tell her how good she looks cause she just hides

I've never understood why people have a problem with dealing with them, personally i just smile and think "cool" i like it when people say i'm X Y or Z cause i don't have a high opinion of myself so it's nice to hear compliments :D
  • Options
    Oh I hate those. If I can avoid it, I will. Like if the person is far away, I tend to act as if I don't hear it. If it's unavoidable, I say thank you, and continue converstaion. And if it's something I am proud of, I'll say "yeah, I know I am good" with a playful smile.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    *Thinks hard* Damn, I can't ever remember getting a compliment! :( I'm sure I must have had some at some time?
    Actually, I have got a few unintentional compliments about my age, so that's something at least.

Mr_Wobble ;)

Why, Mr Wobble, have you ever been told that you're stunning, with a vast and VERY interesting knowledge of sex?! I think you're fantastic!

Is that better for you hun?! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by TempleOfDreams
    Why, Mr Wobble, have you ever been told that you're stunning, with a vast and VERY interesting knowledge of sex?! I think you're fantastic!

Is that better for you hun?! :D
    :blush: :flirt: Why, thank you! ;)

Mr_Wobble ;)

Was that as good for you as it was for me? :)
  • Options
    I can't take them very well...make me :D for a while..but I tend not to believe them
  • Options
    :blush: :flirt: Why, thank you! ;)

Mr_Wobble ;)

Was that as good for you as it was for me? :)

Wouldn't you like to know... ;)
  • Options
    i laugh cos i never take anyone seriously when they compliment me. when someone throws a compliment back in my face i throw it back in their face and we proceed to have a "are" "not" childish thingy which is kinda flirting in a way so its fun :)
  • Options
    I never beleive compliments off other people even though they might be telling the truth, I just keep thinking they say it to not hurt my feelings or something. :(
  • Options
    im weird with complimants im fine if someone im not close to gives me compliments i can accept that!:rolleyes:
    my b/f's always tellin me how beautiful he thinks i am but i never now what to say back to that strange eh :lol:
  • Options
    My housemate compliments me lots too, especially if im feelinglow. If its out of the blue though, I smugly say, "I KNOW" and smile. The best thing to do is say thanks and smile :D
  • Options

Mr_Wobble ;)

Here is a compliment for you.......

you are one of the most funny and expentionally smart ppl that i have evr met!!!

Cant compliment you on look, dont know what you look like!

I get compliments, on my eyes, now that is something that i have had no control over, so i thank them and go really red, another one that i get is that i look really young for my age, i dont mind, i know how old i am and have the id to prove it! and when i am 40, i will only look 35!!! I am not complaining!!!

:p
  • Options
    I say thanks but if they carry on throwing compliments at me I ask/tell them to shut up. I dont do compliments.
  • Options
    I usually dismiss them with a comment like "No, I look ming." or "nah, I was just lucky...so&so is better."

Either I disagree with them or sometimes I feel like saying yes would be egotistic and vain.

If it's my best friends I'll sometimes joke around and agree rather too enthusiastically.

I love giving people compliments though and it is nice when they are pleased (which is why I'm being rather mean too when I don't accept them...) or if they disagree I just argue with them till they accept it.