Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

cheap drinks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
They're doing this thing in Blackpool (maybe other places too I don't know) to try and stop binge drinking by stopping cheap drinks promotions like 3 for 2 and £1 a pint.

What do you think?

I think 3 for 2s might be bad because it encourages people to buy loads of drinks all at once, and those great big fish tanks of cocktails are not a particularly good idea either. maybe.

but drinks are so ludicrously expensive anyway, i don't think these proposals are very fair on the majority of people who are not out to cause trouble.

Comments

• Options
    It's not fair at all, people want to get drunk and the drink is cheap then why not for cheaper, more for less, a good thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    If people want to go out and get drunk, they will. regardless of price.

yes but why pay more when it's cheaper?
  • Options
    Because they'll be scrapping the promotions - as she said

yes i know but do you support this?

i don't set out at night to causes fights and never do regardless of how drunk i am.
  • Options
    I'm split to be fair ... I can see why they do it .. although ... hmm, just split ;)

aye, going out is expensive enough already, what with entry fees, taxi fees and the like. atm i'm only ever out for a few drinks in the pub then getting the last bus home. can't even afford to do that very often.
  • Options
    Thats rediculous.
    Especially for students.their poor on money anyhow they dont need another blow to their pockets.
    *sighs*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pepsi_104
    Thats rediculous.
    Especially for students.their poor on money anyhow they dont need another blow to their pockets.
    *sighs*

:yes: looks like i'll be sticking to the union next year!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    It's not fair at all, people want to get drunk and the drink is cheap then why not for cheaper, more for less, a good thing.

People go out with the purpose of getting drunk? I thought people go out to have a good time, with drink, and getting plastered was I bi-product. But Ive never gone out so what do I know.
  • Options
    Instead of hiking up the prices on alcoholic drinks, why not do promos on non-alcoholic drinks? OK so I know this would not encourage all the yobbos (God that is such a mum word) from drinking, but it would be much fairer on the people who choose not to drink, and drivers, pregnant women etc etc.

I quite often have a glass of diet coke at regular intervals when i go out, as I tend to get very thirsty and don't want to down a pint of beer! But it always amazes me that my coke costs more than my beer!
  • Options
    My local club sometimes do various drinks which are 3 for the price of 1 :D :razz: :yeees: :yes: :hyper:
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    My local club sometimes do various drinks which are 3 for the price of 1 :D :razz: :yeees: :yes: :hyper:

that's more like it :)
  • Options
    Yeah, there's a manky pub in Leeds city centre that does "Buy 1 get 3 free"!

All well and good, but the feckers only have that promo on a Tuesday night! (has been the cause of numerous Wednesdays at work staring blearily at computer screen, with alcohol oozing out of every pore! :no: )
  • Options
    I agree with the whole non-alcoholic drinks prices being lowered. I'm not a big drinker myself, and quite often I'll go out with the intention of not bothering to drink and sticking to J2O or soft drinks, but more often than not (especially at uni) I end up drinking alcohol cos it's cheaper.
  • Options
    I'd have to say that this will, I think, not do much. You may get some students who are discouraged from drinking quite as much on a night out, but to be honest on a serious drinking session we never really bothered much about which beers were on offer, unless it happened to be something we liked, in which case it was just a bonus.

Certainly when I was doing my heaviest drinking down the pub, we would happily sit there all day drinking the full priced beers.
  • Options
    I think what they're trying to do is stop binge drinking, where people down 20 shots and then go out and punch someone.

so why not just end 3 for 2s and bring individual prices of drinks down? that would suit me!

and i am very jealous of all of you with £1 a pint / £1 a shot. i live in a village so the cheapest it gets is £1.39 a pint - and that's only on Mondays :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun

I can't even begin to say how this post makes me feel - I hate the culture of going out just to get drunk. "stuff the consequences, nothing matters unless I have a good time" etc. Now I know all drinkers aren't like this (before I get flamed), but why do nights out have to revolve around alcohol? I see no problem with raising prices of drinks. If you can't afford it, don't drink! It's not a necessity in life, is it? Particularly when it comes to 'poor students' - where is it written that students must drink loads?