Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

So. Much. SPAM! At the moment!

independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
There's sooooooo much spam at the moment mostly with people posting dodgy links!! So odd!
“Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Hey independent,

Yeah we've noticed there's been so much spam recently! Thank you to everyone who have been reporting these posts to us, if anyone does see any spam we might have missed, feel free to report those posts and put "spam" as the reason. :)

All the best,

- Aife
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'll keep a hawk eye out and report any spammers
    Princesa wrote: »
    I'll keep a hawk eye out and report any spammers

Thanks @Princesa!

Mike
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I'll try to remember to report as much as I can - I just hate clicking on those posts y'know what I mean. Thanks for replying. See I thought that was what the spam bot was for on signup - it seems some spammers aren't really phased by those!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Spammers forever change their usernames, and that never helps, @independent
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Definitely. It's really, really frustrating. And of course the same spammer could sign up multiple times... I could rant for hours!
    I wonder if there is some anti-spam software that auto-detects spammers when they register to post?
    I could rant for hours!

We could (and have) too. ;)

Yep, this is really frustrating for sure. We do currently use a CAPTCHA, but unfortunately it's a little outdated so some spammers are slipping through. Due to the limitations of the software we use, we're unable to upgrade it right now. It's also worth noting that although most will be bots, some of the spammers are human, meaning there isn't always a way to 'fool' them with anti-spam software.

That being said, in the not-too-distant future we are going to be migrating to new software, which will solve a lot of our problems. :) Thankfully we also have a team of anti-spammers who help the mod team out with removing the posts and banning the users, and without them we'd pretty lost!

Thanks for bearing with us guys, and reporting the posts as you see them. It really is a huge help. :yes:

Mike