Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

friends leaving for uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
2 of my closest friends leave for uni so so soon....im going to miss them so much :(

how did you guys cope when your friends went off to uni?

(im not going till feb because they are a year older than me so i wont meet new people kinda thing)

Comments

• Options
    I went off to uni and had a fab time. Til I left and I haven't seen my uni mates for ages now! My 2 bestest mates from Uni are in Korea and New Zealand and haven't seen them for a year now :( It sucks! You just have to email and text lots, but it's not the same :no:
  • Options
    im really going to miss them, i live just north of london and one is going ot leeds and the other to cardiff.....both so far away :(
  • Options
    Yer its annoying. My oldest friend is leaving soon for uni and i have another year to go!
  • Options
    Originally posted by blonde__batman
    im really going to miss them, i live just north of london and one is going ot leeds and the other to cardiff.....both so far away :(

it's only 2 and a half hours on the train from london to leeds, and it's a great night out :)
  • Options
    None of my friends ever went away to Uni. So I've never had to deal with that.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I had a gap year: My two best mates had kids/no lives so didn't go to uni so i was fine this year and i met up with loads of other ppl. You can stay with mates which i really nice so i wouldn't worry!!!

I always wanted to go to uni and start again. Yes friends will always be at home but i want to make my own first impressions!!!

Good luck in FEB!
  • Options
    Well I've just finished my second year of college, but am doing a third :eek2:

So...many of my friends (infact, quite a lot...eeek, lots are leaving work too :( ) are going off to uni...while I'm being a silly little 1st yr student again :rolleyes: :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by blonde__batman

What is your friend going to study at Cardiff?
  • Options
    My best friend left school after GCSEs as his family emigrated to San Francisco, now lives in Houston, anyway I felt like you did - really gutted and upset. But we still keep in touch, we send e-mails, phone and ring, not all the time but enough to keep our friendship going. He's coming over at Christmas which will be the first time I've seen him since last summer. Point is, if you and your friends can be bothered to put in a little bit of effort - a phone call here, a letter or e-mail there you can keep your friendship going. Plus your friends will be home on their uni holidays which is like half the year anyway and when you get back you'll probably all meet up and swap notes. So don't let it upset you, it's not the end of your friendship unless you let it end. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    What is your friend going to study at Cardiff?

medicine, he wants to be a doctor.

i know on the train its not hard to get to either of them but its the cost more than anything and finding the time because ive got full time work expericen from september till feb and then full time uni and working at the weekends from then on for the next 4 and a half years!! (not that i mind...i cant wait!) just wish they could all wait around until feb and let me catch up!
  • Options
    I feel so old when I think about when I was at uni (10 years ago) - we didn't have internet or email access at my Uni - unless you were a computing student and back then there were no mobilephones (well not affordable ones) and mobiles were analouge so no SMS Text messaging.

So I lost touch with all my friends virtually - but years later met a lot of them when they started getting married.

Now with Internet, email, chatrooms, Web Cams, and mobile phones being so cheap - etc you don't have to worry about losing touch.