Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Work and staff

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
So a bit of a random thred I suppose

So I was just wondering what are your thoughts on the way things run and number of people required to do a job.

For example I work in a nursery on a ratio of 1:4 so when we have 8 children in we need 2 staff. However I'm on a 1:1 ratio working with 1 individual child so in actual fact we have 3 staff.

Anyway I'm going back to 2014 when I did a summer job in retail. Now at any one time there had to be a minimum of 2 staff on shop floor for health and safety reasons. But I was on tills and one night it was my turn to go and supervise the manager cashing up (to ensure he was counting all the money and that is was all been put in the safe.) So this was a two person job. But does it actually require 3 people?

I know what you are thinking "NO!"
But I had never done this before and due to a problem I had with being sexually harassed I became very uncomfortable being alone with the manager.

I was fine at first I was asked to supervise and had no problem. But as I had never done this before I didn't really know what went on. So we went into this little room at the far back of the warehouse and as soon as we got in there he shut the door and said in a very weird way "I'll lock us in so no one can get to us." And then asked me to sit down. I felt very anxious and on edge had there been no reason for me to be there I would have left before he locked it.The fact the door was locked scared me as he hadn't explained why (I know now it was because of the money) anyway nothing happened in there he counted the money got me to sign a witness form and put the money in the safe. But I couldn't get out of there fast enough. However I may have felt better if there was teo witnesses so I knew I was safe.

But not just for me but for him as well. Don't forget we have a lot of money in there and what if one of us tried to assault the other? I know in many shops there is only 2 people for cashing up.
Nothing happened in there but I just felt anxious of having no escape and no one to help me if something happened. (I later realised this was actually a normal reaction)

Prehaps that's just me but what do you guys think? Are there any jobs you feel that should have more or less staff and if so what?

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Whenever we have Saturday club we're split into groups of 2 each with about 7 children per group and it defo does not feel like enough for me sometime personally, i know the standard is two staff per 7 children but while around horses, and trying to teach health and safety i do feel we could benefit from more x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    I definitely agree there LaneBoi safety is important and it's hard to watch 7 children at once even with 2 members of staff. Just out if interest do you work or volunteer
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I have two volunteer jobs x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld