Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Being labelled lazy for going to bed late & getting up late

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why is it that many people who go to bed late and get up late are labelled lazy, even if they are hardworking? People who go to bed early and get up early and who spend the same number of hours in bed are never labelled lazy for doing so. Why is it common for people to say: "You don't get up until ten - you're such a lazy bastard!" - but you never hear: "You go to bed at nine - you're such a lazy bastard!" If someone is up for the same number of hours and gets just as much done, where's the problem? Why do a lot of people who go to bed early and get up early hate people who go to bed late and get up late?

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've been wrongly labelled lazy many times for often getting up relatively late. I've been told: "You're still in bed - you're so lazy!" "How can you still be in bed at this time? You're so lazy!" and I've heard someone say of me: "He was still in bed at 8.30 this morning - he's so lazy!" and "He's so lazy that he was in bed until nearly 9 this morning!" I asked my friends if they've been likewise accused - and some of those who said that they get up relatively late said that they have been.
  • micamica Deactivated Posts: 98 Budding Regular
    Hey Robert,

I can appreciate what you're saying. In my experience, there can be a tendency for people to kind of bash on people who sleep in late, but I think that's just how society views sleeping in. If possible, I would encourage you to just ignore them. Yes, it might not be logical or fair for people to bug you about sleeping in, but it's just how many people are, and perhaps the best thing you can do is just do what is best for you without worrying about other people's opinions or comments!

- Mica
    There have been many occasions on which I've not been able to ignore them, because they've deliberately woken me up, shouting at me for 'being lazy' for not getting up early and demanding that I get up immediately. I've been told: "I've been up for over an hour and you're still lazing around in bed!"

When it doesn't affect them, I don't understand their anger towards me.

I've never actually been lazy - regardless of when I go to bed and get up. I've never criticised anyone for what time they go to bed or get up.
    I think it's because some people stay up until 4/5 am and then sleep in until the afternoon, so people view them as sleeping their 'day' away, but they fail to realise that they're actually up for the same amount of time as other people. My girlfriend focuses better in the evenings, so often stays up until the early hours and gets all her work done but her auntie views her as lazy bc she sleeps through some of the daylight hours. In this sense, people with this view must consider people who work nightshifts lazy? As they sleep all day.

But honestly it's nobody else's business when you go to sleep or get up
    How can I stop people angrily criticising at me for it - or counter it when they do?

Many people who go to bed early and get up early boast about it, saying things like: "I've got so much done whilst you've been lazing in bed!" and "I get up at 6 every morning - I can't believe that some lazy people are in still in bed at 8!" It's like they want a reward or medal for it and think they're superior.

A related issue is early-risers making a lot of unnecessary noise early in the morning, with no consideration for anyone who doesn't get up as early as them. When I've asked them to please not do so, they told me that I shouldn't still be in bed at that time. At one place I lived at as a lodger, I was woken at 6-something every morning by the landlord shouting at the top of his voice: "Yay! It's a new day! Yyyyyaaaaaaaaaayyyyy!" His life was a mess, he was scruffy, fat, he'd been declared bankrupt, he was self-employed and wasn't getting regular work and he had nothing to be happy about - yet he didn't care.