Home Anything Goes
Fill out our Discussion Boards user survey for a chance to win a £50 Amazon voucher, to shape our services, and get closer to earning a badge!

Can't talk

AidanAidan Clever idiotPosts: 2,490 Boards Champion
I physically can't talk. I don't know how else to explain it.
I'm not having trouble eating or drinking (except I occasionally can't swallow), and I'm not having a problem with words- I mean, I'm writing this, so I can't have, surely.
I don't have a sore throat or anything. I can still make grunting noises, but that's about it and I sound like a caveman. When I want to talk, it's like the words won't come. My mouth sort of opens and that's it. My mum keeps asking if something's wrong, my parrot keeps whistling at me because I can't whistle back, and I'm worried this will last until I have to see my counsellor again and I'll look like a right muppet.
Does anyone have any ideas?
"Do, or do not, there is no try" <(•.•)>              

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This used to happen to me and I didn't know how to fix it but I did notice that it happened when in the presence of a particular person and long afterwards.

Is there anything that happened that might have triggered this?

V
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 2,490 Boards Champion
    I don't know what could have triggered it, but I could talk again the day after but not straight away.

I brought it up with my counsellor, and she said it was fairly normal with people with anxiety- particularly in children. And even then, they can still talk in front of their parents normally, which I couldn't.

It's strange, and it's the first I time I remember it happening since when I couldn't talk or would stutter when I was a kid.

Anyway, thanks 😊
    "Do, or do not, there is no try" <(•.•)>              
  • DistractionDistraction Noob Posts: 227 Trailblazer
    Hiya, this can happen if you go through something traumatic, it could have happened years ago but the side effects can last a long while after and sometimes they don't even appear until later on down the line,

Other than that, am not sure, sorry.