Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self harm at 24

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, I'm new here.

I self-harm, but I am 24 and trying to juggle moving ahead, self-acceptance/love and being focus. I get into emotional overrides and want very badly to be in the presence of someone I care about/trust.. instead I self-harm and am so angry at myself for trusting people.

I have friends, but the few that I do trust with this, I don't want to drag on, or suck them into my darkness.. Can anyone else relate? Espically to the trigger of emotional overload?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    Hey just wanted to say welcome..

I sometimes self harm for one of many reasons when everything gets too much if that's what you mean by when things go into an emotional overload?
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    Hey there,

Welcome to the community! :wave:

There are a fair few folks around here who will be able to relate to what you're talking about; you're certainly not alone. Well done for reaching out to us here. Feel free to start a thread in our Health & Wellbeing section if you'd like to tell us a bit more. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi there,

I can absolutely relate. I'm 24 as well and am currently struggling with self harm issues too. I find I'm scared of feeling any strong emotions because my brain tells me it's exposing a weakness and other people will take advantage of that. Is that something you have issues with too?

I absolutely know what you mean in terms of feeling frustrated at not being able to trust people, and feeling let down when you finally do. It's something I'm working very hard of improving in myself recently but it's not been easy so far. It sometimes seems like it's something I'm going to be stuck with forever, but some part of me knows that's not true.

x