Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Quickly

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Had an op on my tooth today :(. The dentist gave me some Amoxicillin (250mg) & Ibuprofen (400mg).. Just windering, are they ok to take with each other?

Ohh yeah. Is it sposed to be bleeding this much? I get getting like mouth fulls of blood. Not had a tooth out for years.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well if the dentist gave them to you surely it must be ok :confused: don't quote me on that though.
    don't worry if it bleeds a lot, wounds anywhere on your head always bleed more than elsewhere on your body cause there's so much blood about. also it takes a while for blood to clot in your mouth cause it's so moist. it'll stop eventually.

as for the drugs, i would think they would be ok to take together, i imagine lots of people take painkillers with antibiotics, but it might be wise to look them up on the net and check for interactions.

if your dentist gave you them, they must be the routine post-op medication....
    should be but phone a chemist and ask. amoxycillin is a antibiotic (i think) and ibuprofen will reduce pain and swelling! if it keeps bleeding go back to your dentist but if its a tooth out it should clot soon!
    Yeah alright thx. Well well I spose it would bleed for a fair while as he had to cut the gum and pull the root out. :/

Thx :):)
    Still bleeding :(
    hmmmm. maybe you needed stitches in your gum if the dentist cut it open! if its bleeding badly phone the a and e and see if they think you should go up or go to a local dental hospital(if its still open).
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Still bleeding :(

when i had my tooth pulled out it bled from 11 in the morning until the next day.

is the bleeding slowing down at all?
    The dentist put 2 or 3 stiches in it.

Um, the blleding has been pretty much the same as when I first had it out.
    well if they were given to you then they will be fine to be taken together, they do checks on things like that and wouldnt let one slip
    When I had my wisdom tooth pulled it bled for about a day and a half to two days before it fully stopped. I would suggest waiting it out until at least tomorrow and if it seems to not have slowed down at all or if it seems to be getting worse then I would call your GP or some place to ask if it's normal for it to bleed so much.
    the two drugs together should be fine
    try cold water rinses - anything hot will encourage bleeding.

once the blleding has stopped and it starts to heal hot (cup of tea temp) salt water (1tsp of salt) and rinse and gargle. this is one of the best mouth washes there is. (most orthadentist I know recommend it)
    they are fine to take together, the ibuprofen will reduce pain and swellling and the amoxycillin will stop any infection, you definitely need to take both of them after having a tooth out. it will bleed for a while, if youre worried ring your dentist.