Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Thank God for Guantanamo Bay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
New hijackings of international flights are planned before summer's end.

The source said Ali Abd al-Rahman al Faqasi al-Ghamdi -- allegedly one of the key organizers of the May 12 suicide bombings in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, that killed 23 people, including nine Americans -- gave information concerning possible hijackings.

He surrendered to Saudi authorities in June and is being held by the U.S. military at the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, naval station, the source said.

The Department of Homeland Security sent out a one-page advisory to airlines over the weekend, warning that terrorists might be plotting suicide hijackings to be executed by the end of this summer, with possible targets including sites in the United States and other countries.

The warning came nearly two years after terrorist attacks on New York and Washington shocked the world. The hijackings of four jets on September 11, 2001, killed more than 3,000 people. (Full story)

"Attack venues may include the United Kingdom, Italy, Australia or the East Coast of the United States due to the relatively high concentration of government, military and economic targets," the latest advisory said. Britain, Italy and Australia are U.S. allies in the war in Iraq.

Comments

• Options
    He's Back!!
  • Options
    Thank God Gerry?

I thought you stopped referring to all Muslims as them and recognized Al Qaeda is comprised of a very small group of extremists whose actions are against the teachings of Mohammad? I've heard you're doing great in summer school. I'm glad.

Meantime, I'm also glad we're being tough on terrorism. I'm concerned that this warning has gotten so much press when in fact the source was discounted earlier in the week. I'm concerned because I think this warning stuff is killing America and the world's economy.

I feel this warning is an example of people in the CIA and FBI being so afraid that something is going to slip past them again...that they announce any threat. Now THAT'S scary.

***Gerry, everytime you post...you'll be posting my new slogan at the bottom of my post. And yeah, My Dad's a leftist liberal..so what? This is America d-u-d-e! ***
  • Options
    does he ever think were going to agree with him and go
    'oh yay a load have people have been locked up illegally and have had all there human rights taken away'

unless you can actually come up with a good argument now and again stop posting any source you get from a website!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken

'oh yay a load have people have been locked up illegally and have had all there human rights taken away'

Yaaaaaay.

Which country has used the most WMD? Or who has been abusing human rights recently?

It's not America. Nope. :no:
  • Options
    The US is the only country to have ever used nukes.
  • Options
    America in General is F****ed! and they know it, so rather than accept they have problems and expose themselves to the world (Like they aren't already) they go out and fight others to make themselves feel GREAT!!

Wankers.

Sorry...just the way I feel at the moment! I was reading an interview with a band (Can't remember who) and they said when they went to America people were shouting 'get back to Europe' ...perhaps it was the Super Furry Animals? Bloody Americans!
  • Options
    Theres "terrorist warnings" will never stop, you know. Bush has managed to gain a permanent emergency situation- terrorism is not a war that can be won or lost.

Glad IM not in the USA. Itll be Yanks locked up like animals next, and therell be no way of stopping it happen.
  • Options
    PNJ; are you going out of your way to make most of us dispare at the US?
  • Options
    America aren't holding them illegally because they are illegal combatants and you are allowed to take them out of the battlefield and hold them until the conflict is over. They don't even have to give them trails. But they are giving them trials.
    The military trails will be conducted to stringent guidelines and in most part under the eye of the media so there won;t be any unfair play because that would be stupid when under such scrutinary.
    Of course they are taking away their human rights. Thats what you do to criminals. These people are military criminals. The same treatment applies. These people are being fed and looked after. A lot better care than other barbaric countries would treat people they have caught from say America or Britain.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skeeter Thompson
    America aren't holding them illegally because they are illegal combatants
    No they aren't. That's what the US government claims in an attempt to justify their rape of every human rights legislation and international law under the sun.

Remember that many of the people imprisoned are only guilty of fighting an invading army of occupation. Even those who belong to Al Qaida have the right to be charged and put to trial before an impartial, civilian tribunal.
    and you are allowed to take them out of the battlefield and hold them until the conflict is over. They don't even have to give them trails. But they are giving them trials.
    The conflict is over, and they have to charge and give a trial to anyone they hold.
    The military trails will be conducted to stringent guidelines and in most part under the eye of the media so there won;t be any unfair play because that would be stupid when under such scrutinary..
    LOL. The trials have all the markings of a fascist dictatorship in a banana republic. The prisoners have restricted (if any) access to a lawyer and the President appoints the prosecutors, judge, 'jury' and even the defence lawyers. And then he goes on TV and says all men in there "are bad".

Makes Pinochet look like a model of justice.
    Of course they are taking away their human rights. Thats what you do to criminals. These people are military criminals. The same treatment applies. These people are being fed and looked after. A lot better care than other barbaric countries would treat people they have caught from say America or Britain.
    Contrary to what you believe, criminals have human rights as stated by the Geneva Convention and ratified by every civilised country. Unfortunately it seems that under G. W. Dubya America has ceased to be a civilised country- at government level that is.

Civilised countries don't torture prisoners. Civilised countries don't throw people into a cage and keep them there for more than two years without charging them. Civilised countries don't arrange for military tribunals where the judge, jury and barristers are appointed by the President of the country (a man who gladly admits on TV he believes they are all bad).

Whatever the outcome of those people, this will be seen by future generations as one of the lowest points in American history ever. A time when a lunatic, warmongering murdering chimp took over Presidency and indulged in practices only common with barbaric regimes.
  • Options
    criminals have human rights as stated by the Geneva Convention

Actually Al the Geneva Covention concerns prisoners of war, not criminal law.

Nevertheless it has been abrogated as you rightfully point out by a government which is following the behaviour and practices of every government it is hypocritically pointing its finger at and calling "evil".

This is why they were sent to Guantanamo, because in the US itself they would be forced to respect either the national codes of due process (if in fact any of the prisoners are truly guilty of any codified crime) or respect the provisions of international law.

Since they are kept in a third country Washington gets to manipulate the situation by creating a legal limbo.

What should be done is to release the prisoners to viable international handlers like the UN or ICC for proper vetting of each case to determine who should be immediately repatriated to their homeland and which should stand trial.

Then we should pack Bush and all his cronies off to occupy the vacated cells at Guantanamo and show them what it feels like to be at the receiving end of their fascist practices.