Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

i need roads ...more roads ...roads with more lanes.

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by MWF
    A lot of people don't have a choice.

i believe that everyone has a choice. no one "has" to do anything they don't want to
    Originally posted by hobbs
    i believe that everyone has a choice. no one "has" to do anything they don't want to

You're in for a shock then. There is a massive percentage of the population who have to work to survive and support their family, these people don't have much choice when it comes to jobs and have to take what comes, they also cannot choose to live in a more expensive and accessable area or choose when they go to work and how they get there. They just have to accept where the jobs are and live with it.

An ex-collegue of mine used to live within 10 miles of our work place whereas I lived 25miles away. Because he had to use the bus it took him three times longer to get into work than me, he also had to catch three buses to travel that distance. He also found it awkward to work late as it ment having to book a taxi to get home.
    I realise that my statement is a bit vauge, but I stand by the principal of it.

I did not say people do not have to work.

that massive population of the people who have to work to surive - how many of them have sky/digital television and other "non-essential items"? they chose to have them, they costs money, money that could be spent on essential rather than non essential items.

you say they don't have much coice - they still have a choice, even if it is only a choice of 2 things it still is a choice.

I believe that everyone has choice and ability. whether they chose not to take the choice or change their circumstances, or belive in their ability to make the life they want is another question.
    Regardless of your faith in peoples ability to choose if they have Sky or not it does not change the fact that a huge percentage of the population feel they have no choice but to sit in their cars in traffic.

Yes I think you are right and I wish everyone thought like yourself. But the reality is that millions of workers feel they trapped by the working lifestyle we have adopted as a society.
    Originally posted by MWF
    Yes I think you are right and I wish everyone thought like yourself. But the reality is that millions of workers feel they trapped by the working lifestyle we have adopted as a society.

:)

feeling trapped is not 'not having a choice'

I lived in London and lost 3 hours a day traveling the 7 miles to work and returing (the joys of the underground), felt trapped, realised I had a choice. handed my notice in, packed my bags and moved somewhere (Devon) found a new job and can now walk/cycle/skate to work. I could have stayed and felt I had no choice, but i deceided not to feel that way

*goes home how (on foot) so as not to hijack this thread and turn it into one about choice*
    Originally posted by MWF

I can't believe people still suggest public transport, I can only assume these people have either never used public transport themselves or never had a normal 9-5 job.

My mum works as a supply primary school teacher and has always used the bus despite the fact it means waiting around in the evenings sometimes. She also carries bags of books, posters, toys etc. all the time. So it can be done, if you're willing to give up convienence.

She gets there on time in the morning. How? Why? Because she gets up at 6am and is on the bus by 7.30. If you allow yourself time to travel by public transport, it works. But alas, everyone wants that extra half an hour in bed.

(Although they have raised bus fares here again and it's cheaper for families to take the car into town now - I am going to write to my mp about it because it seems there is no environmental intiative here.)
    I could use public transport, at a push. I know there's a train station somewhere nearish where I work.

But it'd cost more, as parking is free, and take an extremely long time. I'd use the train to get into Southampton (about 6 miles away), because it's cheaper than parking, and much quicker.

Now I work about 15 miles away, and it'd take over an hour on the train (mainly due to changing trains and waiting around)...car takes about 15-30 minutes.

Public transport isn't all bad, and in some situations (wherever a city centre needs go be negotiated) is much better than a car.