Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

i need roads ...more roads ...roads with more lanes.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
we build more schols if the population rises... we build more hospitals ...we NEED to build more roads and widen existing ones to carry on moving and prospering.
it's not popular but do you have an alternative?

Comments

• Options
    No, of course more roads need to be built..we have roads, we can go places, go and meet new people, roads are essential for us.
  • Options
    Re: i need roads ...more roads ...roads with more lanes.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    it's not popular but do you have an alternative?

Flying cars
  • Options
    Flying motorbikes ;)
  • Options
    Flying buses

flying buses and when it was your stop you would jump off the bus with your parachute. lol
    me thinks it would be a fun idea
    but where would the airplanes fly if the cars motorbikes and buses fly.
  • Options
    Trains that aren't packed and that arrive on time!
  • Options
    if we all worked locally and supported the local infrastractur then we wouldn't need so many new roads, but I agree we do need better roads and better transport links.

I like those cars in minority report or perhaps we should all be given a pair winged boots like Achilles had
  • Options
    Heres a novel idea for you...USE PUBLIC TRANSPORT!

I dont have a car. I travel from Bradford to Newcastle very often. Its cheap, its quick (quicker than cars), its comfortable, I always get a seat (and I travel at rush-hour often) and I can have a drink on the way home.

We dont need more roads, we need less vehicles on them. Trucks should be replaced by traisn wherever possible, and people should try going places on the train or on the bus. And unless you live in the arse-end of nowhere you have no excuse not to use trains, tubes or buses- Londoners, in particular, shouldnt ever have to move their cars from the driveway, and London is the most grid-locked city in the country.

You could build a high-speed train line for less than the equivalent distance of motorway.
  • Options
    Pfff fine live in the 21st century.
    Who wants a ride in my flying car?
  • Options
    Re: Flying buses
    Originally posted by GINGA

but where would the airplanes fly if the cars motorbikes and buses fly.

up your arse:p
  • Options
    Re: Re: Flying buses
    Originally posted by Kermit
    up your arse:p
    :mad: GRR now its getting personal.
    You aint getting in my flying car if i ever get one. :P
  • Options
    road building creates jobs. the m1 should be ten lanes in each direction. we need to get about fast and safe.
    london and other big cities realy can't have new roads as there is no place to put them and i agree theres no excuse for not walking or cycling more. but getting from city to city should be made easier.
    i live in a rural area and even if the local bus stopped in my drive every half hour i would'nt get on it as it aint going to take me to all the places i need to go today.
    i don't understand the big outcry against building more roads and widening existing motorways that were built for 1960's 70's traffic volumes ...doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    One word: deportations.
    Less people, ample space.:naughty:

I'm only kidding MR; you know I feel most immigrants are doing jobs no one wants and from what I've seen work like hell.:cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Heres a novel idea for you...USE PUBLIC TRANSPORT!

I dont have a car. I travel from Bradford to Newcastle very often. Its cheap, its quick (quicker than cars), its comfortable, I always get a seat (and I travel at rush-hour often) and I can have a drink on the way home.

We dont need more roads, we need less vehicles on them. Trucks should be replaced by traisn wherever possible, and people should try going places on the train or on the bus. And unless you live in the arse-end of nowhere you have no excuse not to use trains, tubes or buses- Londoners, in particular, shouldnt ever have to move their cars from the driveway, and London is the most grid-locked city in the country.

You could build a high-speed train line for less than the equivalent distance of motorway.

I agree, if the government actually had the guts to do something about public transport it would improve hugely - take London for example, the Mayor has pitifully few powers but he was elected on a programme of improving public transport and since 2000 it has improved. There are more electronic countdowns at the bus stops saying when the next bus is due, there are lots more buses especially at night and the buses are newer as well. When I started getting the bus to school in 1996 they were using buses that were over 20 years old and were smelly and uncomfortable now they have new buses. All the increase in bus use has come from London because the Mayor actually had the guts to out and sort it out.

The reason Central London was so congested, with the congestion charge traffic has fallen by about a fifth, was because you had 21st Century levels of cars trying to get around on roads that have been around since Medieval times and even Roman times in some cases. Most streets in Central London are still only two lanes, the most you'll see is somewhere like Oxford Street with four laned streets compare that to the Champs Elysees which has something like eight lanes. In the suburbs congestion isn't that bad except when you have all these housewives doing the school run which is what really slows it down in London because they can't be bothered to walk their kids to school. Plus look at how many cars have only one or two people in them, that is really annoying. The only reason that you need a car in London is because of the huge inconvience of having to carry your shopping for a family of four back from the supermarket - if the supermarkets let you do your shopping and then had vans to deliver your food home (like online food shopping does) then you wouldn't need a car in London at all. In fact only 10% of commuters take the car into work the rest get public transport.

The trouble with government transport policy is that when they build a new motorway or whatever they only design it for current traffic use. Take the M25, when it was built it was only designed to deal with 1987 traffic levels and so by 1990 it ended up gridlocked. The transport system in this country lacks innovation, while other countries are trying out maglev trains that can do something like 300 mph we're messing about with tilting trains that can only do half that. If the government had the guts they'd renationalise the rail industry to recreate British Rail, rip out the existing railway and replace it with a new maglev infrastructure. Also this would help reduce the north south divide, most Londoners are used to commuting an hour or so to work so Londoners would be able to move out of London to the North to buy cheaper houses and then would commute to London on the InterCity lines then their larger London income would be spent in the North increasing growth of industry and creating more jobs there.
  • Options
    Does it make sense to support Kyoto and road building?
    Sharing rides and using public transportation would be more in keeping with supporting Kyoto right?
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Does it make sense to support Kyoto and road building?
    i believe it can and does. a million stationary or very slow moving vehicles are emmiting a lot of heat and filth ...
    a million fast moving vehicles will not produce the same ammount.
    cars are getting cleaner but theres a long way to go. when we come up with an alternative fine but ...until then we have to live with the car ...so lets make the fucking thing work as efficiently for us as possible ...by building and improving the roads.
  • Options
    Besides we'll need the roads for our fuel efficient non-polluting cars too... and they'll come...
  • Options
    See in the US, the pro-environmentalists believe you put the money into public transportation and get people away from using their own cars.

But in many areas of America, there are no real towns. There's housing developments and Malls and workplaces-campuses out in the country...all requiring cars.
  • Options
    See in the US, the pro-environmentalists believe you put the money into public transportation and get people away from using their own cars.

But in many areas of America, there are no real towns. There's housing developments and Malls and workplaces-campuses out in the country...all requiring cars.
    some people would like to wish the car away. it's here to stay for quite sometime yet so we need to learn to live with it. we need to make it work better for us. that means we need to give it a lot more space. some roads are that clogged that emergency vehicles can't get through. public transport is not efficient at getting people around to the many places we need to go. it never will be. the modern world with all its comforts cannot function without cars and trucks.
  • Options
    I have something that might scare you out of that thought MR.

I'll be driving in a year and a month. :naughty:
  • Options
    I have something that might scare you out of that thought MR.

I'll be driving in a year and a month. :naughty:
    thats ok mate ...your three thousand miles away!
  • Options
    Train line building creates just as many, and building new trains to run on them creates even more.

As for the crap about getting everywhere safely and quickly, Mallard was running at 125mph before cars could be afforded by anyone but the very rich. Our ancestors got about quickly on the tram, on the bus, on the train. We cant, not because its not possible to, but because were too damned lazy to.

And laziness cannot be pandered to anymore. We do not have the room for the roads, and the environment cannot cope with the pollution. Electric cars cause just as much pollution, just a step further back in the process.

In fact, Id actually close two lanes of the M1 to vehicles with only one person in them. Thered be plenty of room for those who are sensible then.
  • Options
    theres loads of room! cars are dirty yes but ...they are getting cleaner. we cant go backwards in our means of travel. build a road and it fills up but seeing as the population is falling all over the western world it will peak and soon. hopefully by that time we will have a cleaner kind of car to use the 20 lane m1.
  • Options
    Some of the newest cars actually pump out cleaner air than they suck in now.

The problem with congestion is that it only happens at peak times and in a few places. For instance most congested section of road in the world the M6 north of Birmingham is only a problem due to so many people all trying to squeeze through the same section at the same time. The actual tail back is little more than the product of a bottle neck.

Two things need to happen, we need to see working hours become more flexible to de-congest the 9am and 5pm rushes. And the government needs to lean on BT to start making it easier to work at home. At least 50% of the IT industry could work effectively with no need to go into a central office everyday.

I work from home with no probs.
  • Options
    No more roads.

Why don't people just walk, get the bus or the train?! Hell....let's just raise tax loads to pay for the alternatives - free walking shoes for all!

Roadworks annoy everyone. And we do not need more damn roads. :no:
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    theres loads of room!

So why more roads?

Out of interest, I drove down the M1 recently late at evening and passed about 10 cars between Wakefield and Nottingham. Congestion happens at peak times, and people should have to pay for contributing to the congestion. Only in time, but why should I pay for widened roads so a load of commuters can go to work? I dont need a ten-lane motorway, I travel off-peak.

And Ill bet youre complaining about the toll road north of Birmingham as well.
  • Options
    I don't think it's fair to penalise people because they happen to have to travel through a congested area. A lot of people don't have a choice.

I can't believe people still suggest public transport, I can only assume these people have either never used public transport themselves or never had a normal 9-5 job.
  • Options
    We HAVE to have roads, they are a must in society today, how would we get around without roads...maybe to get down to the shop or the town wouldn't be a problem but what if you want to go down to a different city a couple of 100 miles away...you can get in your car and drive on the road, yes on the road...roads are here and will continue to be hear for a long time, in my life anyway.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There is a scheme in Melbourne where cars carrying more than one passenger are allowed to use the bus/taxi lane during peak hours, to try and encourage workers to car pool....

I feel like we need to discourage the overuse of cars because in our lifetimes we will run out of fuel to put in them, and the sooner we get another infrastructure in place as an alternative, the better. Its all a matter of what we are used to and comfortable with, and you can't just expect to people to give something that is easy and convenient up, you need to provide incentives, a little like the example above. OK, its a bit token, but its better than nothing.......

Right, there's my rant, back to work......
  • Options
  • Options
    when at uni i have to travel 25 miles or so by bus to get there by 9am. it takes me about three quarters of an hour and (using my prepaid bus card) costs about £1.50 a day. if i went by car it would take me about three quarters of an hour and cost me about £8 in parking.

Fair play that's a good example of public transport working. However on Tuesday I had to go from the Staffs Moorlands to Birmingham for a meeting, I then had to brnig back an assortment of historical posters and it was raining. I just don't think public transport would have been an option.