Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Recycling

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    our recycling is so simple. Glass in the blue box so it doesnt smash in the bag, everything else in the pink bag. proper rubbish and waste goes in the black sack.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    No there isn't.

It's in our nature to alter the environment.

And soon, if we don't change our ways, it'll be nature's turn to fuck with us.

The environment came first and it's the most precious thing we have; we have no right to alter to cause destruction.
  • Options
    The only people who think it's "in their nature" to alter the environment are the greedy free market capitalists who believe it's their ultimate right to make as much profit as possible regardless of the consequences. I suspect mono adheres to this philosophy.

Fortunately the great majority of people in the world think otherwise and will continue to fight all efforts by the capitalist pigs to further damage the environment.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    And soon, if we don't change our ways, it'll be nature's turn to fuck with us.

The environment came first and it's the most precious thing we have; we have no right to alter to cause destruction.

Why?

The 'environment' means jack. Humans are naturally innovative and will find a way to cope with future problems.
  • Options
    Why?

The 'environment' means jack. Humans are naturally innovative and will find a way to cope with future problems.
    you hope.
  • Options
    It's the truth.

If humans weren't innovative, we should still be hunter gatherers and live in caves.
  • Options
    It's the truth.

If humans weren't innovative, we should still be hunter gatherers and live in caves.
    im not saying humans arent innovative, but we cant perform bloody miracles. The world has been damaged sooo much just in the short time since the industrial revolution, it will never be the same again, we can try and lesson any future damage though by being careful and reusing materials, not abusing natural resources. \monocrat your attitude is dangerous. \i know a lot of people arent that bothered, but to actually state theres no point to caring for the environment or doing anything to save it, is outrageous and ridiculous.
  • Options
    Why?

Not necessarily...

We don't control nature and the environment; we are here because of it. So we just keep destroying it? Yeah, 'cause that makes sense. :rolleyes: Just because we're supposedly the most intelligent race on this earth and we have the means to destroy it, doesn't mean we have any right to.
  • Options
    Why?

not by sitting on their arse and doing nothing they won't :p
  • Options
    Why?

Humans are naturally innovative and will find a way to cope with future problems.
    how about stopping the european and asian wide droughts like now. how about turning the heat back down a little to where it should be ...how about stopping the devastating rains and floods that are closely following each HOT spell?
    it is now more or less certain that the climate has become unbalanced far quicker than our clever little models said it would ...might.
    how clever and inovative to destroy our crop growing cycles ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    not by sitting on their arse and doing nothing they won't :p

Well there's no Kyoto agreement?

How is that 'sitting on one's arse and doing nothing'?
  • Options
    Well there's no Kyoto agreement?

How is that 'sitting on one's arse and doing nothing'?

Two small problems. Firstly, it's proving to be kind of difficult to get everyone to agree to the Kyoto protocol. Secondly, we really have no idea whether the Kyoto protocol will make that much difference, since we don't understand global warming nearly as well as we'd like to.
  • Options
    Well, we all understand one simple principle.

fossil fuel emissions = really bad news for the environment & global warming

Regardless of everything else, the most important goal is to reduce CO2 emissions by as much as possible. And that involves the use of renewable energy sources and non-polluting transport.

One of the ugly truths is that cars are much to blame. And that means we must try to make as many people as possible to leave their cars at home. If that involves putting the price of petrol up to £1.50 a litre, so be it. If that involves charging commuters 40 per mile driven, so be it. Those who really need to drive can switch to natural gas-powered or electric cars, which would be exempt.

And of course, gas-guzzling MPVs should attract a considerable amount of road tax.
  • Options
    i think there should be more provisions made to encourage people to use electric cars. i would have one if i knew there were going to be sufficient recharging points so i wasn't caught short. and if they were widely on offer.
  • Options
    We usually take our bottles to the bottle bank, and we have a compost bin for all our grass cuttings, potato peelings, etc.

What I would like to see is a local facility for dumping old paint, engine oil, turps, etc. If this stuff gets poured down drains, it can cause serious bother when it gets into the sea.
  • Options
    our family take bottles back toe bottle bank but that is all i am afraid, i know it isn't much but we are trying to do smething, i know we could do more but other items aren't really recycled in the north of Scotland so therefore we recycle what can be but unfortunately have to put the rest to landfill.
    i am sure if we were given more incentive to do so and/or more provision, then i am sure we would recycle more
  • Options
    the capitalist pigs

DANGER COMMUNIST ALERT.

Yeah, 'cause that makes sense. Just because we're supposedly the most intelligent race on this earth and we have the means to destroy it, doesn't mean we have any right to.

We have full right to destroy it , it belongs to humans now.

But it is our offspring who must live with the consequences.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore

We have full right to destroy it , it belongs to humans now.

But it is our offspring who must live with the consequences.

I just hope people saying such things are either being sarcastic or facing momentary, delusional psychotic madness.

Only the things we created do we own. We did not create planet earth.

The fact that we're basically ruining the future for our offspring should be reason enough to try to preserve the environment now.
  • Options
    Of course the earth belongs to humans , we are the dominant species , we have spread our civilisation all over , we are its masters.

Humans have always used (and abused) the world around them.

I have confidence in our race to make the right decisions regarding the enviroment.
  • Options
    No, humans make the decisions that suit the human race best which is why I have no confidence the right decisions will be made. Too often are the decisions fuelled by selfishness and greed.

One day there will be a natural disaster we can't cope with and we will deserve it.
  • Options
    humans make the decisions that suit the human race best which

Of course they do , its animal nature , its human nature , its OUR nature.

Its called Natural Selection , the best (us) survve , the worst (Animals) are made extinct (or in this case made subservient).
  • Options
    There has been a 'Box It!' schgeme in my area too but I find it extremely confusing - they only accept certain types of plastic and cardboard etc. We recycle all our bottles and papers/magazines.

Oh, and the decision that would suit the human race best is to recycle everything - thereby perpetuating the species as we don't run out of everything and starve/poison ourselves to death. Capitalism is uniquely human in that its emphasis on the individual above the race.
  • Options
    LOL Matadore, don't put so many high hopes on the human race. Most species of animals were here before us, and chances are they will be well after the human race is gone (or at least those species we haven't hunted to extinction).

The planet does not belong to us any more than it belongs to the common brown rat. But even if it did, surely you can appreciate the ‘logic’ of destroying the environment, the flora and the fauna around us.

I hope you like the taste of Dollar bills, because one day that might be the only thing left to eat.
  • Options
    I believe that Genetically Engineered crops and Fish farms could go some way to feeding the expanding population of the earth.

Humans arent stupid , and they wont 'destroy' the earth.