Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Recycling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you do any?

They have just started a new scheme round my way. They have issued us all with new green wheelie bins for our grass cuttings and weeds and stuff, which they take away to turn into compost. i think that's a really good idea but it should go further.

there's also a private company which comes round once a month to collect old newspapers to recycle. they give us all a blue binbag which we just leave outside on the collection date. only thing is, my dad won't let us do this in my house because he doesn't like having the newspapers cluttering up the house :(

i've got to admit that i don't do as much as i could do, but i really would do if systems were in place to make it easier to recycle. Why couldn't the government contract out more private companies to collect glass, cans etc.

Or supermarkets could team up with the recycling companies more and offer money off vouchers in return for glass bottles. that would definitely encourage me to do more!

Comments

• Options
    Recycling should be the law really, everyone should do it! Around here we have orange bin bags to put our recyclables in, but everyone else on the street seems to put their bottles, cans and paper in the same bag! That can't be right can it? They wouldn't be able to separate it if that's the case.

Still, we separate our stuff anyway because it feels right.
  • Options
    No never do but i should, i support it but cannot be bothered doing it but i will in the future whenever i have my own house.
  • Options
    yes, is it in Germany where it's illegal not to sort your rubbish? we should do that here more.
  • Options
    I don't recycle. I don't really see the point.

The Earth has enough resources to support the current population.

I generally don't see the point of environmentalism.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat

geez, your great great grandkids are gonna love you :p
  • Options
    We have two bins - one for composty stuff and one for the rest. I can't really remember. It's a pilot scheme and despite complaints first it's ok now.

As for our house we recycle our glass, paper and cans. We want to recycle the plastic too - but I don't think there are means to do so near us. There are a few recycling bins fairly near us and accessible in the car (you need a car when recycling. Very ironic, I know.).

We should recycle more. Our country's recyling habits are horrendously bad. Besides recycling we should be cutting down on use of such resources...

We need to start saving and preparing for the future. Basically we treat the earth like shit. :(
  • Options

you fool...don't see the point, the point of it is to ensure our children of the future don't run out of resources and then the world turns into chaos but that won't matter because you will be dead by the time that happens, thinking only of yourself.
  • Options

PMSL! fucking hell mono tell me its a windup ...
  • Options
    I burn rubber tyres, pour paint down the drain, fly tip - sorry having a mono moment
    WTF

I recycle. For two of us and by the time we have recycled and composted we have about half a bin bag of other rubbish a week.

I often hear people saying recycling cost more then making new stuff, but I think that is missing the point. its not about ££ costs but the impact on the environment
  • Options
    In Denmark recycling, is simply a natural way of life.
    As natural as, erm, me eating chocolate :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    you fool...don't see the point, the point of it is to ensure our children of the future don't run out of resources and then the world turns into chaos but that won't matter because you will be dead by the time that happens, thinking only of yourself.

I always think of myself. :)
  • Options
    I recycle glass, tins and paper. I wish i could recycle plastic too as that takes up a lot of my rubbish, but they dont have the facilities here for some reason. Its so easy to recycle in most places, so i dont see why some people dont bother. Of course i know why moncrat doesnt bother - hes thick as shit. Shogun, youve got no excuse, youre not dim, get your parents to do it.
  • Options

mono ...your saying that i can pour my old engine oil down the drain ...discard highly toxic waste as in batteries etc however i see fit, bollox to wether it poisons the water supply or the soil.
    how can there be no point to environmentalism?
    FOOL!
  • Options
    We have very strict laws in my state, NJ. Honestly, it's a pain. We have to separate out all plastic containers and other non-paper products. There was a report that recycling actually creates pollution. I was hoping that idea would catch on...:)

Meantime, I'll continue my role as the human compactor.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    We have very strict laws in my state, NJ. Honestly, it's a pain. We have to separate out all plastic containers and other non-paper products. There was a report that recycling actually creates pollution. I was hoping that idea would catch on...:)

Meantime, I'll continue my role as the human compactor.:rolleyes:

it can't be that difficult to separate your rubbish if you have different bins for it all in the first place?
  • Options
    We have a recycling scheme here for paper, we put in a black box which the council collect once a week. However, I don't think the problem lies with the bins you put on the street, it lies with the bins we have inside the house - think about it inside the house we just have one all purpose bin where everything goes, who's going to bother to go out to their wheelie bin everytime they want to throw something away? So instead they should redesign the bins we have inside the house so they have a little compartment for each material which we can then throw away into the different bin bags or whatever. Because that's where the problem in getting people to recycle lies.
  • Options
    it can't be that difficult

I complain...therefore I am.

But if I'm saving the world for future generations...I've met the future generation and I don't like them. (My little sister's friends.):lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    We have a recycling scheme here for paper, we put in a black box which the council collect once a week. However, I don't think the problem lies with the bins you put on the street, it lies with the bins we have inside the house - think about it inside the house we just have one all purpose bin where everything goes, who's going to bother to go out to their wheelie bin everytime they want to throw something away? So instead they should redesign the bins we have inside the house so they have a little compartment for each material which we can then throw away into the different bin bags or whatever. Because that's where the problem in getting people to recycle lies.

yep i am so going to do that in my own house.

the other problem is that you need a car to transport all the stuff to the recycling place. i would do it next year at uni but there's no way i'm sitting on the bus for half an hour with a bag of empty bottles to get to the bottle bank! hmmm, maybe i'll campaign for recycling points at uni :chin:
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I complain...therefore I am.

But if I'm saving the world for future generations...I've met the future generation and I don't like them. (My little sister's friends.):lol:

They're your generation.
  • Options
    Yikes.:nervous:
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    mono ...your saying that i can pour my old engine oil down the drain ...discard highly toxic waste as in batteries etc however i see fit, bollox to wether it poisons the water supply or the soil.
    how can there be no point to environmentalism?
    FOOL!

No there isn't.

It's in our nature to alter the environment.
  • Options
    No there isn't.

mono your either pissed or a fuckin eedjit!
    if you look through the history of mankind i'm sure you will find that man tries his fucking damndest not to shit in his own nest!
    in fact man has always tried to improve and safeguard the water supply. has not only worked with the soil and plants but prayed to real or imaginary spirits to help him. of course we have altered the environment ...i'm not going to waste my fucking breath ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    mono your either pissed or a fuckin eedjit!
    if you look through the history of mankind i'm sure you will find that man tries his fucking damndest not to shit in his own nest!
    in fact man has always tried to improve and safeguard the water supply. has not only worked with the soil and plants but prayed to real or imaginary spirits to help him. of course we have altered the environment ...i'm not going to waste my fucking breath ...

Environmental pressures exist now due to the increaed population.

Tell people in medieval times about good sanitation in their town and cities and see what they'd say. :lol:

Heck, sanitation only truly existed in the 19th century!!
  • Options

Tell people in medieval times about good sanitation in their town and cities and see what they'd say. :lol:

And your point is?

I doubt they had cars, plastic, batteries, bleach and chemical waste to the extent that we have now. Most of the waste in medieval times would have been shit in the sewage and stuff that's biodegradable because they didn't have the technology we have now and because they used what resources they had... mostly natural materials.

Look at how the world is now. The hole in the ozone is slowly getting bigger... we're cutting down rainforests to make fields for cattle and beds for Ikea... we're pouring bleach and all sorts of shit down the toilet, we're just... wasting the damn planet away.

What's the point of environmentalism?

Well photosynthesis provides oxygen to breath for a start. Burning tyres and shit leads to acid rain, thus eroding rocks and killing plants ect. It's incredibly ignorant to assume that we're going to be able to keep on destroying this planet forever and that it'll last.

By the way, our electricity comes from a renewable energy source :p cool innit :D
  • Options
    I seperate recyclable stuff from other waste. Food waste generally goes down the waste disposal.

I think compostable stuff goes into a box to be used on the garden.
  • Options

No, it is in your nature. Not mine. I am an environmentalist and yes, I recycle, a lot! I am also a member of The Green Party and Friends of the Earth. :rolleyes:
  • Options

medieval europe. what about the roman empire days ...sanitation and baths.
    what about the egyptians and the babylonians?
    what about the stuff in the bible about how to dispose of dead bodies and turds ...we have known about protecting the environment for a long long time.
    come on mono ...to say what your saying is seriously silly mate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    No, it is in your nature. Not mine. I am an environmentalist and yes, I recycle, a lot! I am also a member of The Green Party and Friends of the Earth. :rolleyes:

Respect! :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Creeper
    Respect! :thumb:
    creeper respect.
    your little bro ok? not seen him in a while ....
  • Options
    Yeah man, he's been out a lot.

Oh and mono, it ain't in our nature to fuck about with the planet. Take the North American Indians for example. Respect to them 'cause they used every little part of the buffalo they killed and never wasted a bit. It's a shame that the world today seems all watse waste waste...
    :no: