Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Job centre woes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys

I would like to ask what would you do if the advisor at the job centre said that the format of your CV didn't look right, even though you've had invitations to interviews?

My CV is all on one page and is in 2 columns, instead of being spread out over 2 pages.

I said to this advisor that "I think it looks better on one page than two". She said that it "looks a little in-your-face". I'm on a course at the moment and it's my final day tomorrow and the advisor asked me to mention it to my tutor.

What would you say to the advisor? Should I say to her that I'm not going to change it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Spoke to my tutor, and she said that I should change it on the Universal Jobmatch website. but keep the one-page CV.

Might not bother changing it and I'll just tell the advisor at the job centre that I won't be changing it.

Everyone has their own opinion on what a CV should look like. F*ck the job centre. They can't tell me how to format my CV.
    Hey SpinTires,

It's really up to you how you would like to format your CV, but there are lots of handy tips out there which might be worth taking a look at. The main thing would be to make sure it looks clean and simple, with clearly marked sections :yes:

We do have a couple of articles here on the site too:

How to write a CV
    CV checklist

They contain some tips on style and formatting.

Good luck! :thumb:
    Thanks, but I already know how to write a CV. I was asking if I should change the format on my CV to how the job centre wants it.... Or if I should tell them to f off.

I've decided not to change it. The 'advisor' at the job centre can do one. She can't tell me how to write a CV.