Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

My supervisor didn't show up at work party. I'm Devastated.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had left my job of over 3 years just recently, but before I left, my supervisor said I'm still invited to work party. She was also planning on attending. A couple days ago, she texted me the address. Party was today and when I showed up, my coworkers were there. We all talked and had fun.

I was just about to ask when my supervisor would show up. Then someone said stuff suddenly came up that HER supervisor wanted her to do. She emailed everybody a few days ago saying she won't be there. However, I don't have that email no more since I no longer work there.

I continued to be outgoing and friendly. However, I suffered greatly on the inside, so I took advantage of the alcohol provided. I had a long day at work today and looked forward to seeing her. I haven't seen her in a month. I can't sleep. I know I got along very well at that party but I'm greatly disappointed that my supervisor didn't show. How do I cope when I'm barely functional?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Jane_eyre22 :wave:

It's disappointing when we are expecting someone to be at an event and they don't turn up. :yes:

It sounds like you got on very well with your old supervisor, and that's great - life does sometimes get in the way and we can't always attend things we said we should. It's a shame you didnt find out before you went, but perhaps you could text her and suggest you guys meet up for a coffee and catch up? It sounds like you miss her very much, so getting something in the diary for the two of you to hang out could help?

I hope that helps - :)
    Hi Jane's_Eyre22,

Sometimes at work we do click with people and when were always working with them there's no one else you don't really wanna know because you have people who you get on well with.

Wether that's an individual it can fairly be the same way but it's more like a closer friendship then anything else and you wanna spend all your time with them etc.

In your situation as it was a superviser this can sometimes be difficult when not only you like talking to them but have to remain professional.

It's best to move on in a way of not getting too attached as if you are thinking about this person all the time you can't really think about yourself.

Do you think there's anything you could do to take this off your mind? Maybe taking up a hobby or interest meeting new people?

You might find that voulnteering is a good way of meeting people and giving back to the community.

In the mean time try and focus on yourself before you rush into anything.

Crazy Cat x
    Def decided to get over it and focus on something else. I hope I wasn't pathologically obsessive. If I were, I wouldn't want her to kno lol.
    No you wasn't at all. I just said that because sometimes it's best to focus your on mind something else as you need to do something what can make you happy.

You may get back in contact with your supervisor again and meet up etc. However I would focus on yourself first before anything else.

Please remember you have us and were here for you

Crazy Cat x
    You might find this helpline helpful to talk to someone about how your feeling www.breathing space.scot
    Sorry the website is www.breathingspacelondon.org.uk
    Crazy Cat x
    Thx! I'm So glad for the Internet. Ppl there are easier and better to deal with :)
    Did you have a look at that website I gave you www.breathingspacelondon.org.uk?

If so did that help or? I hope you have managed to think about things and to concentrate on your life at the moment.

You seem to have a few things to look forward to with university and finding a career. They are all really good things and to focus on that will help you.

I know at university you will make friends and find
    people who you connect with. You might form such a good friendship with them that your supervisor won't be so much on your mind no more.

I'm just saying this because you have to remember the people who are there for you right now and that's more important then anything.

I hope that helps x