Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Amsterdam

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going to Amsterdam on Friday morning - can't wait.
Anyone been before and can tell me some nice cafes to visit?
Also what are the lucky lucky men like? Do they hassle you badly or are they easily avoided if you keep your head down?

Comments

• Options
    All cafes are nice to visit in Amsterdam :D
  • Options
    How about the window shopping :)
    Sorry, wrong forum
  • Options
    Amsterdam is a nice place. All the cafes seem to merge into one tho :lol: for some strange reason :lol:

The looky looky men are easily avoided just dont stop !

I am sure you will have a wicked time :D
  • Options
    I'm really looking forward to it. Been wanting to go for ages now and now I finally have the chance.
    Couldn't have asked for a better 21st birthday present.
  • Options
    I went to the Bushgarden, I think Bush something anyway, they had good afgan hash but the place was a bit scummy.

I've heard very good things about the Kashmire Lounge, its a bit out of the way though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I went to the Bushgarden, I think Bush something anyway, they had good afgan hash but the place was a bit scummy.

I've heard very good things about the Kashmire Lounge, its a bit out of the way though.
    I've read up a bit on the net and everyone seems to say it is dodgy travelling out of the main square. Is this correct or is it just at night you have to be careful?
  • Options
    I've never been before, your a lucky fucker going, enjoy it.
  • Options
    I never had any problems, my mrs and I went walking about most of the town at night and barely came accross anyone let alone anyone dodgy.
    The city center is the place which is dodgy, what with the depressing red light district.

I'd stay out of the Bulldog and other chain coffeeshops, well unless you want to hang out with lads on a stag night. Try to search out the coffee shops on the outskirts that the locals use, you'll get better measures, better range and nicer people.

That and you should try and find a 'brown bar' too, they are very cool to spend an hour or so in, they are always friendly and have good beer on tap.
  • Options
    I never had any problems, my mrs and I went walking about most of the town at night and barely came accross anyone let alone anyone dodgy.
    The city center is the place which is dodgy, what with the depressing red light district.
    It was only depressing cos you was with the mrs :p
    Cheers for the advice i'll look out for a 'brown bar' and wander round the outskirts.
  • Options
    No, trust me its really depressing, theres no way I would want to get involved in something as seedy and down right nasty as it is there.

Its a real shame really because I believe prositution should be legal, but it needs to be cleaned up, otherwise its no better than women on street corners.
  • Options
    Really. Didn't realise it was that nasty. Imagined it been a little seedy but thought it would be all clean and looking nice if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    Basicaly you walk round a fairly shaby area of town, and theres loads of windows where bored, depressed women sit about wearing not much. Then theres a small collection of shady blokes around who I assumed to be pimps of some type. And wondering round is, well all the types of blokes you'd expect to be using fairly seedy prostitutes.

I left the area feeling depressed.
  • Options
    I thought Amsterdam was dirty, but don't worry about being mugged etc Its safer than most cities in the UK these days.
  • Options
    dont listen to bongbudda, its not seedy in the slightest.
    make of it what you will, if you find women in bikinis looking sexy seedy then you are either very deluded or very sad.

Like you said, he's bitter cos he was with the missus.

As for coffee shops, go to grey area, de dampkring, tweede kamaer, kadinskys, greenhouse effect.
    they all sell awesome grass.

avoid the grasshoper like the plague, its dire and has shocking poor, overpriced buds.
  • Options
    Back now. Had a good time, was a good experience.

What a mad city. I thought it was a pretty clean place, clean streets, nice trams and buses. All them push irons, fuck me :eek:
    never seen so many bikes in my life, nearly got knocked down hundreds of times.

Place is massive, all weekend I never knew where I was. All streets looked the same.

Wasn't expecting as many people trying to sell me coke, pills, acid etc.. on the streets. "Psssst cocaine??" All I heard, even in middle of day shouting across loads of people. They were ok though, if you said no they usually stuck there thumb up and said ok.

Thought Red Light was mad. Some nice looking birds in them windows, some old fat wrinkly ones aswell.

Went to Grasshopper. It was 2 mins up same road as I was staying on. First cafe we went to. Skunk was overpriced but I was nicely fucked after sharing two nice joints.

Saw a grow in the cannabis college in the red light main bit. Some nice plants in there. This guy told me in Amsterdam you were allowed 5 plants per household, thats why cops left him alone in this cannabis college shop. He had to have a license for the lights though. Does anyone know how all the shops get the skunk to sell?? Does the government grow and sell it to them??

Overall, excellent experience and I'm definately going to go back with a few more mates.
  • Options
    Thinking of going at the beginning of next year, gonna take my other half for her 19th birthday... can anyone recommend a good cheap place to stay, near the city centre... also, some good shops for mushies (my main reason for wanting to go) and smokes... :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Eul Grepus
    Thinking of going at the beginning of next year, gonna take my other half for her 19th birthday... can anyone recommend a good cheap place to stay, near the city centre... also, some good shops for mushies (my main reason for wanting to go) and smokes... :D
    Been talking to a guy at work today and some of his mates just flew over and got some dirt cheap rooms in the middle of the red light. He said they were dirty doss holes though with just a bed and a sink. To me that would be fine but not the kind of place you want to take the missus.

I payed £230, that was flights and two nights accomodation bed and breakfast. My hotel room was decent with a nice shower and tv and stuff.

Shops absolutely everywhere. It's a massive place. Probably best place would be Red light.
  • Options
    Thing is i live in Gibraltar, i can fly from Seville Jerez or Malaga in Spain, all rather near, all with flights to Amsterdam, but i dunno if there is a package that i can get here
  • Options
    I'd try and get a package if I was you, especially if you haven't been before. You don't want to be carrying your luggage from the airport, on the train and then round Amsterdam looking for accomodation.

I'm thinking of doing that if I go again but with such a big place its not something I would like doing just in case I couldn't get anywhere. I'll only do it if I was looking for really cheap accomodation.

Prices when you get there are not cheap. More expensive than England for beers, pop, everything really apart from macdonalds which is cheaper than UK. A standard lighter cost me £2, I know its only £2 but you're paying more for everything.

I rattled off £200 in 2days and 2 nights and I went short. I bought a few souvenirs, but that's something you've got to do.
  • Options
    £200 quid on what?? lol
  • Options
    Skunk ..errrrr.. more skunk ..errrrr... more skunk *coughs tried a window out coughs*, souvenirs, food and drink. Thing is there is nowhere really just to chill out and not spend money. If you go into a cafe, you have to buy a drink (obviously) and so your spending money all day and night.
  • Options
    dude, check out allamsterdamhotels.net

quality site
    ive been amsterdam about 6 times, and gone through there every time.
    Each time the hotel has been a 3 star, sky tv, real comfy beds, en suite bathrooms breakfast all in etc etc. Just like a travlodge here really with sky.
    im going next weekend in a 3 star, and its cost me £168 including flights and transfers (train)
    then again i book my flights seperate from KLM and get them mega cheap.
    my flights this time are £12 return from stansted!
  • Options
    These posts make me :(

Sounds like you had a brilliant time lickalot, i can't wait to go to Amsterdam someday and it seems cheap enough to go.
  • Options
    Well, I found the red light district depressing, whether you recon thats because I had my mrs with me or not makes no odds to me.

I did like the place though, just not as much as I thought I was going to. Go to Barcelona insted, its fantastic.
  • Options
    I did like the place though, just not as much as I thought I was going to. Go to Barcelona insted, its fantastic.
    I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would to be honest. I loved the experience of it and will go back soon but I did expect to have a better time. Maybe too much skunk made me not be arsed partying.

Gonna go back with a group of mates next time instead of just one and will probably have a much better time.
  • Options
    I wouldnt mind checking out some of thier night clubs but aparently most of them have gone all crappy euro trance. London's the best place in the world for clubbing anyway.
  • Options
    Go to Barcelona insted, its fantastic

He's right there, i was in Barcelona and it is brilliant, good pollem everywhere, charie if you want it and 'window displays' if you want them too, lots and lots of bars and nightclubs, good things to do during the day,a brilliant place.
  • Options
    Exactly, its not like you cant get prostitues it every other city in the world, and in most citys in Europe getting hold of skunk aint that hard either. Barcelona is a much better looking place too, and it has a beach, and better sun shine.
  • Options
    Didn't realise Barcelona was like that. Just looking on net now at some places. Could be a nice place to take the missus.
  • Options
    Barcelona is great, it has a good level of culture if your into that sort of thing, museums and some of the most amazing buildings in the world. But if you want skunk, bars and clubs then theres loads of those too.
    That and its sunny and hot with a beach.