Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

am i just getting old or...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
is fashion getting more and more stupid?

i remember the days when those boots with the fake wood insert in the heel were the height of fashion.

these days fashionable peeps just look daft.

my case:

:turquoise fishnet fingerless gloves. it is not the 80s anymore, and you aren't retro enough to get away with it.

:slouch boots. apparently now it's cool to look like long john silver.

:pointy-toed shoes/boots. why is it a good thing that you now look like you have humungous feet? why? someone please explain this to me.

:combats with heels. just silly, IMO. as silly as wearing a motorbike helmet with a nightie.

:quiffs. especially quiffed ponytails. why do people do this? my ex housemate did her hair like this religiously every day. YOU ARE NOT ELVIS.

and why is it that people wearing t-shirts saying 'sexy' are most definately not sexy in the slightest?

grrr. fashion these days annoys me.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: am i just getting old or...
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    :pointy-toed shoes/boots. why is it a good thing that you now look like you have humungous feet? why? someone please explain this to me.

copmpletely agree with all your examples especially this one!

and those bright pink pants (sorry, trousers) with tassles coming off in all directions and pockets everywhere. i mean the girls wearing them look like flamingos!!

what really annoys me about people in this country is that when something is in fashion (e.g. those pants, or them coats with bobbles that were in over the winter) then everybody has to own one and everybody looks the same. but they wouldn't be seen dead wearing said garment a year later :rolleyes:

:turquoise fishnet fingerless gloves. it is not the 80s anymore, and you aren't retro enough to get away with it.

At least donkey jackets, luminous dayglo socks, rah rah skirts, big slogan t shirts, jeans with big fat turn ups, pixie boots and ferret cage baskets haven`t returned yet. :eek:

They haven`t, have they??!
    Re: Re: am i just getting old or...
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    what really annoys me about people in this country is that when something is in fashion (e.g. those pants, or them coats with bobbles that were in over the winter) then everybody has to own one and everybody looks the same. but they wouldn't be seen dead wearing said garment a year later :rolleyes:

Yeaaaah, 'cause then it's not fashionable anymore and would probably look kinda stupid (yes, I know some stuff that's in fashion now already looks stupid blah blah bliddy blah *pretends to care*).
    With certain items of clothing part of the point in wearing it is that it's in fashion, why are they gonna wear it if it's not in fashion anymore?

Do you mean these kinda things (quickest example I could find)? :confused: If not, then I'm lost.
    And um, they only make your feet look big if you have huge feet. I guess they'll look slightly bigger if the shoes have a pretty low heel but they don't really tend look humungous. :/

:combats with heels. just silly, IMO. as silly as wearing a motorbike helmet with a nightie.

I SO agree :p
    Re: Re: Re: am i just getting old or...
    Originally posted by DaisyChainThing
    Do you mean these kinda things (quickest example I could find)?

I like those..

I think she meant the pixie shoe things. Maybe not. That's what I thought..:confused:
    Re: Re: Re: Re: am i just getting old or...
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    I think she meant the pixie shoe things. Maybe not. That's what I thought..:confused:

Ahh, didn't think of that. Laura, you should be a detective with that kinda thinking.

Damn you feeble brain, work. :(
    Yeh, totally agree with the one about people wearing tops saying stuff like "sexy" when quite clearly, they've been severly battered with an ugly stick :rolleyes: :eek2:
    Do you mean these kinda things

God, they're naff.

I have pointy boots, but they are nice, decent non-tacky/naff boots.
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    I like those..

Pixie shoes PWN. Only when they don't like, cut your feet up :\
    I agree with what you've said!!

I laid my tartan skirt to rest the say New Look started stocking them. It cost me £35 as well.... three years ago... :(

I wear stuff I like even if it isn't fashionable! I've been wearing one particular pair of jeans at least once a week for three years now.... the colour faded so I dyed them back to their original colour of indigo (dark blue)
    Originally posted by 1983
    God, they're naff.

I have pointy boots, but they are nice, decent non-tacky/naff boots.

Grr, they were the quickest example I could be arsed to find. The ones I like on there cost £110. :/

And if she meant pixie shoes then I agree that they suck but only 'cause they look so ugly. :eek2:
    OMG YEAH! The like mad black denimy ones with the patches and stuff?!

Cause they are the ultimate fuck me boot.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

I laid my tartan skirt to rest the say New Look started stocking them. It cost me £35 as well.... three years ago... :(

The irony is strong in this one.
    I dont buy fashion clothes, because some things you just know they are going to date before you get much wear out of them.
    Originally posted by 1983
    OMG YEAH! The like mad black denimy ones with the patches and stuff?!

Cause they are the ultimate fuck me boot.

Did they have like, jagged kinda lines on them and little teeny metally thingys? They were lots nicer than the blue ones up tharr.

WTF, they cost £55 now. When did that happen :|

Do you mean these kinda things (quickest example I could find)? :confused: If not, then I'm lost.
    And um, they only make your feet look big if you have huge feet. I guess they'll look slightly bigger if the shoes have a pretty low heel but they don't really tend look humungous. :/

yeah. i think they're hideous. the ones with a low heel are worse, but they're all pretty ugly.

i just don't see the appeal.

my ex housemate was trying some on in a shop one time, and me and our male friend (who she REALLY fancied) were there. she was strutting around thinking she was sexy as hell, and then, after she bought them, she asked him what he thought of her 'new, sexy boots'.

he told they made her look like a penguin.

:lol:

she took them back a week later.
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    Yeh, totally agree with the one about people wearing tops saying stuff like "sexy" when quite clearly, they've been severly battered with an ugly stick :rolleyes: :eek2:

He he...I've noticed that its always the fattest most unfit families that seem to buy clothes from sport shops! WHY????
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    The irony is strong in this one.
    Not really. I think you need to look up the definition of the word.

I have a tartan skirt, it isn't a fashion statement. It is knee length and pretty old fashioned..... with kilt pin etc. What is your point exactly?
    Not really. I think you need to look up the definition of the word.

I have a tartan skirt, it isn't a fashion statement. It is knee length and pretty old fashioned..... with kilt pin etc. What is your point exactly?

If you cant see it, then I can't help you.
    If you cant see it, then I can't help you.
    You think I am saying I had a tartan skirt to be "cool" and look like I was ahead of the game.... ahead of fashion almost, and I wore it to look cool even though that kind thing wasn't "in" when in actual fact I wore it to keep me warm at sixth form! It is a wooly thing from M&S that your gran might be proud off!

Anyway, you're wrong.
    You think I am saying I had a tartan skirt to be "cool" and look like I was ahead of the game.... ahead of fashion almost, and I wore it to look cool even though that kind thing wasn't "in" when in actual fact I wore it to keep me warm at sixth form! It is a wooly thing from M&S that your gran might be proud off!

Anyway, you're wrong.

No, that's not what I thought, so you're wrong for assuming I did.

How could you be 'cool' by being ahead of fasion anwyay? How could you possibly know the next thing to be in?

How could you be 'cool' by being ahead of fasion anwyay? How could you possibly know the next thing to be in?

by reading trend prediction journals.

these journals are created by people who study trends, revivals, society and the cyclical nature of fashion, and top designers pay to get a copy.

fashion is entirely constructed.

:yes:
    Did they have like, jagged kinda lines on them and little teeny metally thingys? They were lots nicer than the blue ones up tharr.

WTF, they cost £55 now. When did that happen :|

OMFG REALLY! AHHH! Hoorah, I shall have ankle breaking 4 inch stilletoes..who's wanting to be walked over ;)

these journals are created by people who study trends, revivals, society and the cyclical nature of fashion, and top designers pay to get a copy.

OK, maybe I should have put the word 'you' in itallics.

I know BumbleBee doesn't follow fashion, and I meant how could she try/want to be ahead of it to be 'cool'.

Har! I know!
    People look at me with a cross smile,w hen I show them something new, then suddenly they want it as well.

I am too cool. Admit it. Now!

Very true, I read an article in The Sun early in 2000 doing a prediction for the Noughties and they said it would be the decade of the 80s revival and everyone laughed and said that's ridiculous...
    ...three years on and we have those ankle boot things back, velour tracksuits, legwarmers, off the shoulder tops, neon colours and am I noticing shoulders in womens clothes getting puffed up to be bigger? Who's laughing now? :lol:
    i think what kiezo meant was that it sounded like you were saying that you deliberately *didnt* wear your tartan skirt anymore just because it became fashionable, which is almost as bad as completely following fashion- correct me if i'm wrong, i may well have misunderstood both of you!

but in general, i think it's best to wear what you like, regardless of whether it's in fashion or not- i like rah rah skirts for example, but i couldn't care less that they're fashionable (i think they are?!)...i just like them!

my favourite items of clothing i've had for years, it's great because i've got some things that were never and may never be in fashion, and ive got some things which i wore long before, and during the time they were fashionable, and i buy random things that ,may or may not be fashionable-what's important is, i like them! :D
    Originally posted by rosi
    i think what kiezo meant was that it sounded like you were saying that you deliberately *didnt* wear your tartan skirt anymore just because it became fashionable, which is almost as bad as completely following fashion- correct me if i'm wrong, i may well have misunderstood both of you!

:thumb:
    Originally posted by byny
    He he...I've noticed that its always the fattest most unfit families that seem to buy clothes from sport shops! WHY????

because sports clothes are (relatively) cheap and come in large sizes maybe? i dont know:)

the shoes i dont like are those ones in topshop with the elastic in them which makes the toes point to the sky...cant be good for your feet:rolleyes: :D
    Originally posted by byny

Cause like clara said, they`re cheap, and they`re also very stretchy.

I have now resorted to the same thing. :( (But for different reasons)