Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

celebrity-obsessed society

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
what's your take on our celebrity-obsessed society? do you love reading, or rather looking at, hello! and ok! or can you just not understand *why* people are so fascinated by some random untalented people's lives who happen to be in the spotlight?

you can probably guess what my opinion is............
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Urgh... won't touch Heat magazine or any of that crap with a bargepole :yuck: I have a life of my own thankyou :p
  • Options
    Re: celebrity-obsessed society

i don't get the appeal.

maybe if it was your favourite band, or actor or something i could understand people having an interest. but just random famous people? why do you care?

like posh and becks. he's a very good footballer, but i don't give a shit what he does off the pitch. and posh is just a waste of a hairdo.
  • Options
    They're not all talentless.
  • Options
    i have never understood it at all! people lining the streets for hours to get a glimpse of some fat old singer or some 'royal' person. even worse is crying when one of these people dies!
    beyond me.
  • Options
    Silly people. I couldn't give a hoot about them and find it funny how people really seemingly pointless celeb mags.
  • Options
    A load of bollocks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing
    They're not all talentless.

okay, but most of them are....the ones with the most talent usually aren't the ones prancing about for press attention.

i hate it when some stupid popstar says that it's all about the music.....why do they then do countless photo shoots and have sylists and all the rest? image is what it's aaaaaallllll about....

i'm not saying all pop is bad...i mean i like some of justin timberlake's songs (!) but it's soo pathetic when you see people poring over some stupid paparazzi photo like bloody vultures.

what's so interesting about some woman walking along with a shopping bag wearing shades? i don't care if it's someone from atomic shitten, and i definitely don't care what groceries she bought this week, or what product she uses on her hair....
  • Options
    Originally posted by rosi
    okay, but most of them are....the ones with the most talent usually aren't the ones prancing about for press attention.

But celebs thrive on press attention. Take the Beckhams. Where would they be without so much attention? Nowhere.
  • Options
    yeah, that's exactly my point!
  • Options
    Celebs are like businesses - without advertising and marketing, they'd be nothing, even if they are brilliant. So talent alone is not enough.
  • Options
    yeah but why have them in the first place? they serve no purpose whatsoever....okay if some songs are okay we can still listen to the songs without the people who created them (even though even that's not usually the celebrity) being in the limelight.
  • Options
    yeah but why have them in the first place? they serve no purpose whatsoever....

For entertainment. What would society be like without any film, threatre, music, sport? I'm sure everyone in society likes at least one of these.
  • Options
    yeah obviously those things should exist in society, but they could exist just as well without the 'stars' being adored for everything other than their skills in singing etc. it's great if actors etc are admiored for skills but to have such a high status without having much talent seems stupid to me...
  • Options
    okay if some songs are okay we can still listen to the songs without the people who created them (even though even that's not usually the celebrity) being in the limelight.

i have absolutely no idea what any of the members of my favourite bands look like. i don't even know their names.

and i don't care. i just want to listen to their music.
  • Options
    yeah obviously those things should exist in society, but they could exist just as well without the 'stars'

Aye, but these come from fans. If people like them, the press will give them attention in order to sell mags/newspapers/whatever. So where there is public interest, you'll get mags/newspapers with things relating to them which themselves will increase the stardom = more fans = more publicity.
  • Options
    that's exactly how it should be!

i don't want to know how all these celebritiues look like but it's thrust in my face all day so it's hard to avoid.

it irritates me that i know about these celebrities ..who they are and what they look like, even though i have no interest in them.

i could avoid it all i guess....but it would be pretty hard.
  • Options
    A load of shit, what is the point in worrying about other people like the Beckhams that you don't even know and crying whenever a celebrity dies, i wonder what the press will be like the day David Beckham dies...field day.
  • Options
    "Aye, but these come from fans. If people like them, the press will give them attention in order to sell mags/newspapers/whatever. So where there is public interest, you'll get mags/newspapers with things relating to them which themselves will increase the stardom = more fans = more publicity"

yeah you're right, but i still wish the people in the limelight were at least the ones with the most talent.....but if people want to know how much posh spent on a ring for becks or whatever, that's fine, i just think it's pretty sad-who cares!
  • Options
    who cares!

:yes:
  • Options
    [B
    but if people want to know how much posh spent on a ring [/B]
    i wouldn't mind seeing posh's ring ...
  • Options

yeah you're right, but i still wish the people in the limelight were at least the ones with the most talent.....but if people want to know how much posh spent on a ring for becks or whatever, that's fine, i just think it's pretty sad-who cares!

I personally think celebs are silly, but everyone can, of course, support whoever they want without any recourse to justifying themselves, even if, to others, it seems stupid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by D'OHnut
    I personally think celebs are silly, but everyone can, of course, support whoever they want without any recourse to justifying themselves, even if, to others, it seems stupid.

:yes: very true
  • Options
    but at least becks is a relatively good role model for people who sadly do copy what celebrities do...he doesnt take drugs (not openly anyway!?) , isnt involved in violence as far as we know and isnt too bad a role model....so you know fair play to him i guess...
  • Options
    i'm a celebrity in my house.
  • Options
    i think the amount of attention celbritys get is just just stupid also the amount of money thre are paid is jsut stupid and the argument that they are providing a service to thousands of ppl is just stupid i work in a restuarant and cook things that thousands of people eat so why dont i get piad the ludacris amounts of money they get paid?

sorry ina bad mood tonight shall go and chill now
  • Options
    but at least becks is a relatively good role model for people who sadly do copy what celebrities do...he doesnt take drugs (not openly anyway!?) , isnt involved in violence as far as we know and isnt too bad a role model....so you know fair play to him i guess...

and he's got a shit load of money.
  • Options

But he's two cans short of a six pack! :p 'I've decided to get my son christened, but I don't know which religion yet'. :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by D'OHnut
    But he's two cans short of a six pack

good job he's good at footie. otherwise what the hell would he do?
  • Options
    Originally posted by legal junkie

sign on.
  • Options
    Originally posted by legal junkie

people are more interested in Beckham now for his fashion sense and his hair...but he is a good footballer.