Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

problems taking in deep breaths and a list of hypochondriacs worries :)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i am a hypochondriac to start with so these will seem worse:
to start with ive been finding it hard to take in deep breaths in the last week or so, it comes on a lot at night but sometimes in the day. when it happens and sometimes when its not happening my chest feels like it is twitching and that there is like electricity running through it (not around the heart, down the middle)

also i go really hot when it happens and feel panicky. (it happens b4 i feel panicky so it cant be a panic attack.)

the other thing is a numbness in my hands and feet. i feel these could be due to a LOT of sitting at the computer with my arms on the desk in a certain position, and usualy im playing a game that requires one hand on the mouse one on keyboard, so im in same position a lot (and i know about repetitive strain injury)

just to say my sleeping patterns have been 2.30am - 11.30am which is bound to throw me off and i have been doin shite all exercise in last 5-6 weeks since i finished school. (i mean one bike ride and no runnign AT ALL in that whole time.)

Comments

• Options
    Re: problems taking in deep breaths and a list of hypochondriacs worries :)
    Originally posted by colls
    i am a hypochondriac to start with so these will seem worse:
    to start with ive been finding it hard to take in deep breaths in the last week or so, it comes on a lot at night but sometimes in the day. when it happens and sometimes when its not happening my chest feels like it is twitching and that there is like electricity running through it (not around the heart, down the middle)

also i go really hot when it happens and feel panicky. (it happens b4 i feel panicky so it cant be a panic attack.)

the other thing is a numbness in my hands and feet. i feel these could be due to a LOT of sitting at the computer with my arms on the desk in a certain position, and usualy im playing a game that requires one hand on the mouse one on keyboard, so im in same position a lot (and i know about repetitive strain injury)

just to say my sleeping patterns have been 2.30am - 11.30am which is bound to throw me off and i have been doin shite all exercise in last 5-6 weeks since i finished school. (i mean one bike ride and no runnign AT ALL in that whole time.)

ok first of all - you can have panic attacks when you don't feel panicky at all. anxiety is a funny, funny thing. if you worry about having them, they will get worse, even if you don't feel like you're anxious.

of course it could be something else, and you should probably check with your GP, but i'd say it's due to anxiety.

the numbness - yeah - it's most probably to do with the computer. try stretching for a while every so often, or take yourself off for a short walk round the house every half hour or so. should sort you right out.

:)
  • Options
    Re: Re: problems taking in deep breaths and a list of hypochondriacs worries :)
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    the numbness - yeah - it's most probably to do with the computer. try stretching for a while every so often, or take yourself off for a short walk round the house every half hour or so. should sort you right out.

:)

And do some neck flexes too, because i used to get whiplash type things from sitting too long as well.
  • Options
    Look here:

Generalised anxiety disorder

that should help.... I've just realised that's what I've got ooer... :) hope this helps!
  • Options
    The breathing problem sounds a little bit like something I've had recently and been to the doctor about. Does it feel a bit like your breaths aren't deep enough, and you want to be able to gulp down more air? I've also had the twitchy chest thing. I went to the doctor and he said it was most likely just excess tiredness, which makes sense because I went on a big after-exams holiday and got very little sleep. He also told me to cut out caffeine and alcohol, or at least just cut down on them. I've been getting more sleep and I haven't had caffeine or alcohol for a couple of weeks and it's definitely a lot better now.

What's your caffeine/alcohol intake like?

LSS
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    I've just realised that's what I've got ooer... :)

ShyBoy sorry to criticise but I don't think it's good to diagnose yourself with anything! If it's that serious you should see a doctor rather than assume stuff from what you've read on the internet.
  • Options
    What's your caffeine/alcohol intake like?

i have hardly any caffeine and alcohol is at 0 for quite a long time.

tiredness? im in bed at 2am and gettin up at 11am. dunno fi that makes me tired....
  • Options
    Hi Colls,

It's possible that what your feeling is connected to an anxiety problem, if it is then perhaps some of the information here can help;

Anxiety and Stress

There is always another explanation though, which is why self-diagnosis can be such a problem. Some of the information on the internet may be helpful but for any health problem please consult your GP, it is nearly always the safest and quickest route to resolving health issues.