Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Bottled Water - Con or not?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do people here buy bottle water on a regular basis?

My sister buys tonnes of the stuff all the time - but I don't see anything wrong with the stuff that comes out of the tap.

Comments

• Options
    I'm with you on this one - taps all the way
  • Options
    i do buy a lot of bottled water. it's not that i have any strange affinty to it...i'm just lazy and when i'm out, i'm not going to go look for a tap. it's ridiculous...i buy a bottle on the way home from work...take a sip and 20 minutes later i'm home. with all the taps. why do i do it?
  • Options
  • Options
    My friend buys it but apparently her house water comes frommiles away and is really bad.
  • Options
    I drink bottled water. I started when I went on holiday one year and there was a problem with the water supply, so you could only drink bottled water. So I got into the habit of drinking water.

When I came home, I drank it out of the tap and to be honest, the tap water here is disgusting. More often than not, if I drink it I have a sore throat the next day. I'll drink tap water if I'm elsewhere and it's the only option, but like I say, the tap water here is awful.
  • Options
    Tap water is shite, even my cat prefers to drink out of puddles :eek:
  • Options
    I drink a lot of bottled water... not much wrong with the tap, just in the habit of buying bottled water when i'm out and... blah.
  • Options
    tap water only if it has ice cubes an is chilled other wise no!:p

yes im a fussy person ;)
  • Options
    last summer i started drinking bottled water when i came back from running every morning but only because the tap water wasnt very cold, whereas the bottles could be refrigerated and kept cool:)

i drink water from bottles when im out sometimes, but if im in a restaurant and want water, im not going to pay £2 for a tiny glass, ill just ask for tap water:D
  • Options
    Tap water all the way, personally I'm not gonna pay for something I can get easily, and at any time just about.

The only time I will buy bottled water is if I'm at a club night, and in danger of dehydrating. :p
  • Options
    tbh i don't really drink that much plain water, i usually mix it with squash. that way it doesn't matter if you use tap water or not it still tastes good. i only drink water when i'm back in from a night out and i force myself to drink as much in water as i just drank in alcohol.

but the rest of the time, i prefer something with a little more taste to it :)
  • Options
    ohh, bottled water is great, well some of it... that aquifina, and that dasani, that stuff tastes like shit man!! horrible stuff. wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, though evian, of course, is one of the best waters *ever* i could drink gallons of that stuff!! and culligan ain't bad

i think i have a water fetish...
  • Options
    Re: Bottled Water - Con or not?
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Do people here buy bottle water on a regular basis?

My sister buys tonnes of the stuff all the time - but I don't see anything wrong with the stuff that comes out of the tap.

According to the Observer yesterday bottled water is much purer and safer than the shit they put in our taps! I buy mineral water.
  • Options
    I buy bottled water because the water in my area is awful, very hard water, full of chalk and stuff. I normally drink the bottled water and then refill it with tap and put it in the fridge overnight, it tastes much nicer.
  • Options
    Its expensive, and i dont like the taste of water anyway. It may be 0.2131% less likely to cause chronic foetus itching than water or other stupid things studies come up with, but i dont particularily care...
  • Options
    The tap water round here is really hard, it tastes like its got bleach in it, you can even taste it in tea and coffee sometimes if theyve only just chlorinated the water. I have a water filter and i often use that, and sometimes i buy bottled water. When I go up to scotland though, i love the tap water, its really soft and tastes completely different.
  • Options
    Bottled water is a con. I don't mind drinking tap water, and drink plenty of it.

The thing that bugs me is that mineral water has been filtered through rocks for hundreds of years, then they put a use by date on the bottle. :confused:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I buy water nearly every day, it's only 60p for a bottle of water, it may not taste nicer than orange and fizzy drinks but it's better for your teeth and i don't like tap water.
  • Options
    I think it depends what the tap water in your area is like tbh.

Hm. Yes. :yes:
  • Options
    this is what the Observer said ...

Legally, mineral water must emerge from the ground in a state fit to drink. In contrast, tap water starts out life as polluted water and must undergo multi-step processing before it is deemed safe. Several times in the past few years this cleansing process has failed, causing contaminated water to be piped into numerous homes. But my major misgiving is that the cleansing process can leave tap water quite tainted.

The prime disinfecting agent used in the processing of tap water is chlorine. In water, chlorine can morph into other compounds known as the trihalomethanes that can be harmful. A review of 10 studies found that drinking chlorinated water was associated with an increased risk of bladder and rectal cancer of 21 and 38 per cent respectively. Consumption of trihalomethanes has also been linked to pregnancy-related problems such as birth defects and miscarriage.

Another potential contaminant is aluminium. A fair amount of science points to this metal as a risk factor for dementia. Research presented this year at a scientific meeting in San Diego showed a link between aluminium in drinking water and risk of Alzheimer's disease. Research published in the American Journal of Epidemiology found a much greater risk of dementia and Alzheimer's disease in individuals whose drinking water contained aluminium at a concentration of 100 micrograms per litre (mcg/l). I note that the DWI permits twice this level in our tap water.

To my mind, the DWI's claim that tap water is 'fresh' is meaningless; it's what's in the water that counts. I reckon mineral water's natural cleanliness and greater freedom from chemical cleansers sink tap water out of sight. At the very least, I recommend filtering tap water through a jug or plumbed-in unit prior to drinking. I, for one, remain unconvinced by the recent claims for tap water's clean bill of health.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

To my mind, the DWI's claim that tap water is 'fresh' is meaningless; it's what's in the water that counts. I reckon mineral water's natural cleanliness and greater freedom from chemical cleansers sink tap water out of sight. At the very least, I recommend filtering tap water through a jug or plumbed-in unit prior to drinking. I, for one, remain unconvinced by the recent claims for tap water's clean bill of health.

They say that water that comes out of the tap has on average passed through the systems of 7 other people before you drink it. Although that doesn't really put me off, cos I'm sure all water has come from somewhere - even mineral and spring water must have been rain or something at one stage and probably washed on all sorts of things.

years ago my dad fitted a metal water filter to the tap in the Kitchen - he removed it for some reaosn - don't know why.

I think that might be a good idea because even if the water leaving the treament plant is clean - it's gotta go through a lot of pipes before it reaches your house.

On Holiday in India, we were drinking water made my Coca-Cola and it said it was cleaned using Ozone.
  • Options
    I don't think there's any problem with buying bottled water. As many people have said, if you're out and thirsty, buying water from somewhere is probablly the cheapest option. When I'm going out I always take a bottle that I've filled up from the tap at home, but if this runs out or I forget I just buy one. Always still though, I can't stand sparkling water - tastes like paracetamol!
  • Options
    I drink bottled water or I filter my tap water! :yum:
  • Options
    I drink evian every day. I always have a fresh bottle of water with me. Its more for the fact that i always need a drink and water is the healthiest/safest thing for you to drink now adays. In fact it always has been - but I am quite particular about where its come from, i dont like a glass of water from a tap, id much prefer it from a bottle. it tastes much purer too.
  • Options
    I think water is certainly the best thing for you, I was thinking though - it would be good if they added vitamins and stuff to it - save us the cost and hassle of taking a tablet everyday