Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Rememberance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you do to remember things? Anniversaries or whatever? (Mainly sad things Im thinking here)

Like people do stuff like get tattoos (RIP tattoos, tattoos of names), or some sort of piece of jewellery or whatever.

What do you do? Do you just light a candle or is there something specific you've done to try and remember, or pay homage to something/someone?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Rememberance
    Originally posted by badabing
    What do you do to remember things? Anniversaries or whatever? (Mainly sad things Im thinking here)

Like people do stuff like get tattoos (RIP tattoos, tattoos of names), or some sort of piece of jewellery or whatever.

What do you do? Do you just light a candle or is there something specific you've done to try and remember, or pay homage to something/someone?
    i just forget ...
  • Options
    i hardly ever remember the exact date (i.e. annaversaries of deaths) i just remember the time of year like easter, christmas time etc
  • Options
    calender/mobile phone/computer. :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    calender/mobile phone/computer. :yes:
    technophobe!
  • Options
    :lol:

I meant more of paying a tribute to the person/time that has passed, like a homage to them/it. A sort of 'goodbye' that you can carry everywhere with you. Maybe to help your healing ro something. Or just to remind you of the good times.
  • Options
    on new years day at 12:01 in the year 2000 I read a prayer and lit a candle for my grandma and grandpa who have passed on.

I have a tennis ball and my dogs ashes to remember her.

Other than that it's just, things that can connect with them sort of thing, if that makes sense.
  • Options
    I'm useless at remembering dates and anniversaries, but I don't think getting something to represent an event would help me remember them.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    but do you think its a nice idea, to have some sort of representation of a specific date, in some sort of tribute to that time/person.

I want to get something for the baby, not a tattoo or anything, maybe some sort of engraved jewellery or something. but im not quite sure what.

I went on this website, like a 'coping community' sort of thingy, and they had all given their terminated children names, all of them. I couldnt do that, I dont know why but i just couldnt. It was like they talked about their kids as if they ahd known them, but id much rather do soemthing more symbolic to remember, cuz lets face it we can never forget, rather than give the baby a name and talk about it every day to people. I dunno iuts all too weird sometimes.
  • Options
    but do you think its a nice idea, to have some sort of representation of a specific date, in some sort of tribute to that time/person.
    Nice idea, but it still wouldn't work for me, I'd still forget. I've got a mind like a... err... wossisname.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I want to get something for the baby, not a tattoo or anything, maybe some sort of engraved jewellery or something. but im not quite sure what.

I think that's a really nice idea :)

I don't really know what else to say. I just thought that was a really lovely idea, and makes more sense than giving your baby a name and talking like you knew him/her, sort of denying the truth. Yes. So. I think thats a really nice idea :)
  • Options
    Maybe you could get a piece of jewellry for Jaz - something for her to remember the brother/sister she never had? It needn't be engraved (unless you want it to be) but as long as she knows the story, it would be a kind of connection for her.
  • Options
    yea, i've got a necklace that was my grandmas when she was alive

when my brothers were born they were given greek necklaces with a calender of the month they were born engraved and a jewel set on the day, maybe one of those with the date of the termination? the only trouble is im not sure if you can buy them in england
  • Options
    i come from a religious family so it just comes naturally to light a candle for people whenever they need prayers, even though i'm not religious and don't pray anymore.

i have a necklace with three little silver stars, one for my grandma, one for my auntie, and one for my grandad. yeah it doesn't make that much of a difference, but it helps, sometimes.
  • Options
    if you have a garden you could plant a rose bush or something, that would be nice!
  • Options
    I've got a tattoo that I had done spur of the moment, and I didn't like, so then I thought about it for ages (like two years!) and I had some name initials added into the design of it (they're quite well hidden though!) in rememberance of...well personal things that happened to me.

I really like it now though I kinda feel like my tattoo has more meaning than it did before and I guess it shows I will never ever stop thinking about these...names.

I think jewellery engraved with names is a lovely idea. :)
  • Options
    Just the mere fact that you remember them and think of them looking down on you, helping you in times of need.

And with a baby, think of another close relative who may be bringing them up as th years pass.

Be brave and remember them.

as that song goes