Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Benefit system it STINKS !!!!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok heres the story, id appreciate any views you may have :)

I appreciate thousands of people are trying to con the benefit system and get money which is not due to them, I understand that many people are claiming benefits who do not fully qualify for them, so lets take this case which I have 1st hand knowledge about, I know the story is correct so can you tell me wether you think the wrong people are being targetted.

Higher rate disability living allowance:
To qualify for this benefit you must be sick for 6 months before you are entitled to any benefit at the higher rate. Now if someone is seriously ill an will be unwell for sometime, they are going to need lots of help at home with basic needs such as bathing, feeding, helping in and out of bed etc etc. The operation they have had means that their quality of life has just suddenly been thrown out of the window. They are confined to a wheelchair having had a leg amputated from above the knee, so we know that this person is DEFFINATELY going to need extra care and help at home on a daily basis, moreso in the 1st 6 months, so why then should they have to wait for 6 months for any benefit to be paid at the high rate? When they do actually qualify for this benefit I beleive it will not be back-dated from when they 1st applied but just get it from a certain day.

Do you think this is a fair way to treat a disabled person? Do you think they are targetting the wrong people? Is it right that someone can prove they need extra help NOW but will not be granted the higher rate of benefit until they have been in this situation for 6 months?

I find this totally unacceptable, we have someone here who has overnight gone to needing a lot more help, care and attention but they have to wait 6 months to get the benefit they would have been entitled to and then even when they get the benefit it wont be back-dated.

I think the system STINKS and they need to be catching the real benefit frauds who claim benefit and work at the same time, not a pensioner aged 70 who at this time of life needs all the help he can get.

This system is beyond a joke !!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    The benefit system is unnecessary. It's based on fraud and coercion.
  • Options
    In actual fact the time limit effective from 7th April is only 3 months (which I agree is still a long time but a little better than six months).

I agree this is a long time to wait, but they are in no way accusing you of benefit fraud.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    The benefit system is unnecessary. It's based on fraud and coercion.
    So you don't think the person in Becky's scenario deserves any help towards living?

My mother is in receipt of disability living allowance. Without it we wouldn't be able to eat or pay the bills. Do you advocate this? How else are the elderly or disabled supposed to live?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    In actual fact the time limit effective from 7th April is only 3 months (which I agree is still a long time but a little better than six months).

I agree this is a long time to wait, but they are in no way accusing you of benefit fraud.

Sorry I beg to differ it is not being allowed for 6 months at the high rate.

I didnt say they are accusing of benefit fraud, im saying the system stinks and they SHOULD be targetting the REAL benefit fraudsters, not a 70 yr old pensioner who is in need of constant help NOW.

Monocrat I asked for views, if your going to give views then give your reasoning, dont just reply with :

"The benefit system is unnecessary" any fool could give a reply like that :rolleyes:
  • Options
    "The need for help with personal care or getting around must have existed for three months and must be expected to exist for at least a further six months. Customers, including babies under 3 months old, who are terminally ill, do not have to satisfy this qualifying period."

Although even several years ago my mother only had to have been ill for three months and she claims the higher rate also.

Please do not have a go at the way I replied, I am after all in support of what you are saying. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Please do not have a go at the way I replied, I am after all in support of what you are saying. :rolleyes:

I didnt have a go, i was letting you know what I meant, thats all.

He has been told he cannot get it till September which is 6 months from when he applied.
  • Options
    Becky, I agree it stinks - do they have to check the person is genuine during that time before you can claim? I can understand the delay for that but I can't believe they can't let you claim back the money you spent in the meantime on providing care - especially as most care would be provided free by the family so would just cover things like new fixtures and fittings.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    Becky, I agree it stinks - do they have to check the person is genuine during that time before you can claim?

They have to get reports from the hospital surgeon, the doctor at his surgery etc. I can understand there is a procedure which has to be followed but to have to wait that length of time when this type of operation has been had then it should be plain for anyone to see that he needs the higher rate of allowance now.......but do they see it that way? NO.
    He has been awarded it but has to wait till Sept to get it which aint fair really, also as i said it wont be backdated.....apparently he was told this.
    As I say benefit cheats are about and i know they are having to watch resources but due to his disablity it actually means he is worse now not 6 months down the track.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    They have to get reports from the hospital surgeon, the doctor at his surgery etc. I can understand there is a procedure which has to be followed but to have to wait that length of time when this type of operation has been had then it should be plain for anyone to see that he needs the higher rate of allowance now.......but do they see it that way? NO.
    He has been awarded it but has to wait till Sept to get it which aint fair really, also as i said it wont be backdated.....apparently he was told this.
    As I say benefit cheats are about and i know they are having to watch resources but due to his disablity it actually means he is worse now not 6 months down the track.

If he's been awarded it why can't he claim it? :confused: If they say he's eligible why can't you claim back the money you spend on care for him? Just seems so stupid.
  • Options
    surely someone in that case should be entitled to some sort of lump sum up front. Someone who's just undergone major surgery I mean, it can't be very hard to prove that can it??

I think you should be able to get something up front and then some more after whatever time period.
  • Options
    So you don't think the person in Becky's scenario deserves any help towards living?
    Charity should help.
  • Options
    Charity should help.

but we already pay so much in tax in this country and seem to get nothing in return. there shouldn't be any need for charity to step in to help with the basics, we should at least have that sorted.
  • Options
    Charity should step in and totally replace the state's role in devlivering welfare.

The current welfare state is based on coercion, as the state forcibly takes money from its citizens in the form of taxation.

If you want to help the poor, fine. Do so via private charity.
  • Options
    the welfare system doesn't only help the poor, it helps those in need. it also benefits society as a whole. it has been proven that if there were no provisions for free health care or education, then certain people would not bother looking after their health or getting an education.

in turn, the nation would be overrun with health epidemics and would not be able to compete with other nations because literacy rates would go down.
  • Options
    I am in favour of a citizen's income.
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    the welfare system doesn't only help the poor, it helps those in need. it also benefits society as a whole. it has been proven that if there were no provisions for free health care or education, then certain people would not bother looking after their health or getting an education.

Well if people 'don't take care of their health' then that is not the state's concern.

in turn, the nation would be overrun with health epidemics and would not be able to compete with other nations because literacy rates would go down.

Would they?

Parents would be free to choose which education to provide for their children based on their own specific views.
  • Options
    Well if people 'don't take care of their health' then that is not the state's concern.

it is when it affects the people who do take care of their health
  • Options
    Parents would be free to choose which education to provide for their children based on their own specific views.

yes but many people would not be able to make any choice
  • Options
    yes but many people would not be able to make any choice

In a free market different forms of education would be available.

For example, today the Muslims community has fewer faith schools than Christians. Why? In a free market, Muslim parents would be free to send their children to a Muslim school.
  • Options

Huh? :confused:
  • Options
    In a free market different forms of education would be available.

For example, today the Muslims community has fewer faith schools than Christians. Why? In a free market, Muslim parents would be free to send their children to a Muslim school.

and how would it be paid for?
  • Options
    Huh? :confused:
    Not very up to date are you? :rolleyes:
    I can tell you now that it isn't something you would be very comfortable with, :lol:

I suggest you do some research.
  • Options
    and how would it be paid for?

By the voluntary sector, not the state.
  • Options
    By the voluntary sector, not the state.

i get the feeling we are going round in circles here :p
  • Options
    OK..:rolleyes:
  • Options

that sounds like a good idea in principle. see here

but would we be able to afford to do that and improve other things like the Health service and pensions?

if it was part of a complete overhaul of the Welfare system then I think it would be a good thing to have :)
  • Options
    Charity should help. [/B]

DONT EVEN GO THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My father has worked ALL his life.
    Paid taxes ALL his life.

Dont you tell me he should get charity !!!!!!!!!!!

Your a NOB you are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Father schmather.

:cool:
  • Options

:cool:

NO your not cool matey.
  • Options
    I never said I was, nor do I even care who is 'cool' or not!!! :cool: :)