Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

ambition

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been having a discussion with a friend of mine about ambition and how some people are happy to stay living in the same place for ever or working in the same job forever.
She says she can't understand can't understand why people don't move away from the place they grew up in if they can and that it surprises her when people don't want to move on (either live somewhere else, get a "better" job etc).

But I think its nothing bad for people to stay in the town they grew up in if they are happy or for them to be in the same job they enjoy for ever!

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Re: ambition
    Originally posted by byny
    I've been having a discussion with a friend of mine about ambition and how some people are happy to stay living in the same place for ever or working in the same job forever.
    She says she can't understand can't understand why people don't move away from the place they grew up in if they can and that it surprises her when people don't want to move on (either live somewhere else, get a "better" job etc).

But I think its nothing bad for people to stay in the town they grew up in if they are happy or for them to be in the same job they enjoy for ever!

What do you think?

i agree with you. there's nothing wrong with ambition, but what if your ambition is just to be happy with what you do??

mr. junkie has just moved from a fairly well-paying job to one where the pay isn't that great, but where he really enjoys work. the difference in him is amazing. he just geniunely likes what he does.

i would much rather see him like this that rich and permanently pissed off.

:yes:
  • Options
    You have to do what makes you happy.

For some people that will be constantly moving up the ladder, but for others it will mean staying where they feel at home.

And then at times you have to do what you need to, to get by. But that's life.
  • Options
    There's no problem with someone living and working in the town in which they grew up so long as they are happy. What if you lived and worked in the town in which you grew up and had a good, challenging career which you absolutely loved? Would that mean you have no ambition? Possibly, but it is irrelevant: you should only do something with which you are happy, comfortable and satisfied.

I have moved away from my hometown to pursue my career - I will hopefully be living and practising in London. I am a very ambitious person but I am willing to make all the required sacrifices and I am happy to put in 110% into trying to achieve my career.
  • Options
    i well can't wait to get out my home town!

hopefully i will in september to derby or hertsfordshire! woooo

and my ambitions are very high, almost silly but i don't care! cus i will work towards them.
  • Options
    my only ambition is to do something that i'm happy doing. trouble is, the things i'm happy doing are all really difficult to get into!
  • Options
    Some ambitions are selfish, some are not. I know which are better and I know which people have fewer of.
  • Options
    I like the town I grew up in, and can't wait for the opportunity to move back in to the area.

I can understand some people wanting to get away from their home town if they really think there's nothing there for them. I can understand people moving away for a career. I can understand people staying in the same place and same job for years if they're happy there, and with what they're doing.

I can't understand people who stay in the same job for years when they're not happy.

It always used to annoy me when people used to say my hometown was a dump, how there was nothing to do, how it was boring, how they wish they could go somewhere else, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. Funny think is, most of them are still there - they really didn't want to leave, and were just sounding off because in reality they were so dull that they couldn't say what they really wanted, and went along with the crowd that all said exactly the same thing.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    It always used to annoy me when people used to say my hometown was a dump, how there was nothing to do, how it was boring, how they wish they could go somewhere else, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. Funny think is, most of them are still there - they really didn't want to leave, and were just sounding off because in reality they were so dull that they couldn't say what they really wanted, and went along with the crowd that all said exactly the same thing.
    I've got mates who still say the very same thing - but I don't see them packing to leave, I don't see them making any effort to move away! In reality they don't want to, they're just compaing where we live to the warmer climates. One friend in particular wants to moce to Switzerland to snowboard all day. I pointed out he would be sick of the tourists!