Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

My 18th - help me!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, so it's my 18th birthday in October, I really wanted to go back to Amsterdam for a few days, but for my mates it's either too expensive, or too late so they can't get time off work - all sorts of crappy excuses :(

Sooo, me and my bf are going to go away for 2 or 3 days somewhere. See, I really fancy Amsterdam because of the fun and the nightlife... but my bf thought of Edinburgh, or Dublin...

What do you all think?! Can you think of other places which would be a good laugh, not TOO expensive, etc etc?!

Thanks in advance :D xx

Comments

• Options
    Try Barcelona...;)

Las Ramblas is quite a good bit of fun
  • Options
    When me and my boyfriend go away we always go to York. It has some really nice cafes and bars and the best fudge shop in the world!
  • Options
    I did think of Barcelona... not sure though...

And York, it's so nice there :D But I fancy somewhere I've maybe not been before... even though I've been to Amsterdam... that's why I was thinking of Dublin or something.
  • Options
    Dublin is good...come to my pretty home of Ireland :p

it's good a good few bars around and good entertainment.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Dublin is good...come to my pretty home of Ireland :p

it's good a good few bars around and good entertainment.

Yeah, thats what I fancied, never get bored :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by TempleOfDreams
    Yeah, thats what I fancied, never get bored :p

yep, drink yourself to sleep every night...maybe not every night but if you are looking for that then fire ahead :)
  • Options
    Grr, I still fancy Amsterdam, all the sex shows, coffee shops, the bars and clubs... and it's also a brilliant place to shop, lovely shops there.

I think if I remind my bf of the sex shows he'll probably want to go back... ;) What you think?! lol
  • Options
    Go where you wanna go, it's your bday! ;)
  • Options
    lol, as any male would, coffee shops, bars,the whole place, i say Amsterdam but Dublin would be cheaper, is it expensive in the coffee shops do you know?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    Go where you wanna go, it's your bday! ;)

Good point! lol :D

It's like, all day I've been trying to organise it with everyone in mind... my best mate kept moaning about her lack of funds and she kept trying to pick a hotel... every hotel she picked was like an hour away from any of the action in Amsterdam... when she realised it wasn't going to work her way she decided not to come...

Grr... you're right, I'm number one :p I'll choose :D
  • Options
    Dublin isnt that good, in the day, sorry irish people i went there shopping for a day and it was way to busy to many people everywhere!But the night life might be good.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    lol, as any male would, coffee shops, bars,the whole place, i say Amsterdam but Dublin would be cheaper, is it expensive in the coffee shops do you know?

Well tbh I'm not clued up on my marajuana :p But the people I was with bought 'Purple Haze'... you got enough for about 10 verrrry decent spliffs, and it was about 25 Euros. The Space Cakes (which is what I stuck to!!) were like 4 Euros each - you got a chunky slice of cake and it's wicked :D

Money isn't really an issue tbh, so either the 'Dam or Dublin.

Prices for drinks over there are around the same as here, the sex shows aren't massively expensive but are a really good laugh!
  • Options
    Originally posted by TempleOfDreams
    Grr... you're right, I'm number one :p I'll choose :D

:yes: So where ya gonna choose? hehe
  • Options
    Unless anyone else has any better suggestions... and as long as my bf is up for it... Amsterdam :p
  • Options
    You said you like nightlife. I recommend Madrid because it is one of Europe's biggest party cities. I have been there before and I can recommend it very much.

The centre of the city and indeed the centre of Spain (all kms are measures from this place) is Puerto del Sol.

I stayed in a clean, comfortable and nice place located in this 'door of the sun' which cost £20 per night per room (so only £10 each per night). It's great.

A metro station is a stone throw away enabling you to get to virtually anywhere within the city easily and cheapily. This includes the airport - you can get from the airport to this station and into your room within 40-50 minutes. Not bad, eh?

You didn't say when you wish to go in Oct, so I searched randomly. Easyjet has cheap fares between Liverpool and Madrid. October 2-4, you can fly for £59.98 each (return, including tax). If you play around with the dates and remember that Friday-Monday is more expensive as are particular times during the day, you should find a cheaper fare. Also remember that the cheapest deals are those booked as far in advance as possible. If you're very flexible, you can pick up extremely - and unbelievably - cheap deals.

So £59.98 + £20 (for two nights accommodation) = £79.98 each, minus spending money, insurance and getting to and from Liverpool airport.
  • Options
    dublin!

drink guiness alllllllllllll night
  • Options
    Originally posted by D'OHnut
    You said you like nightlife. I recommend Madrid because it is one of Europe's biggest party cities. I have been there before and I can recommend it very much.

The centre of the city and indeed the centre of Spain (all kms are measures from this place) is Puerto del Sol.

I stayed in a clean, comfortable and nice place located in this 'door of the sun' which cost £20 per night per room (so only £10 each per night). It's great.

A metro station is a stone throw away enabling you to get to virtually anywhere within the city easily and cheapily. This includes the airport - you can get from the airport to this station and into your room within 40-50 minutes. Not bad, eh?

You didn't say when you wish to go in Oct, so I searched randomly. Easyjet has cheap fares between Liverpool and Madrid. October 2-4, you can fly for £59.98 each (return, including tax). If you play around with the dates and remember that Friday-Monday is more expensive as are particular times during the day, you should find a cheaper fare. Also remember that the cheapest deals are those booked as far in advance as possible. If you're very flexible, you can pick up extremely - and unbelievably - cheap deals.

So £59.98 + £20 (for two nights accommodation) = £79.98 each, minus spending money, insurance and getting to and from Liverpool airport.

You are an absolute star! That's so considerate, looking about for me :) Thank you :D

I'm going to have a looky now... it's the 29 - 31 October/1 November I'm thinking of... (The 29th is my birthday) So hopefully this looks like just what I want! :D

I never even thought of anywhere like Madrid... dunno why... :confused:
  • Options
    Dublin is a brilliant place to shop, stroll around- cafes/shops range from extremly cheap to extremly expensive..! the whole enjoyment for me in dublin is the masses of people:D Night life is class too, Temple bar is my favourite place, havnt been out in the rest of the city, it can get pretty expensive though in the bars.... warning.........euro/pound exchange rate is crap!

meh....Never been to amsterdam so dont know if its better.....
  • Options
    I can't find any cheaper flights for the dates you gave. If you could leave on the 29th and return on the 4th, I'd only cost £45.98, although obviously much more if you include the additional accommodation, spending money for food, the metro, drink, etc. Are you flexible with your dates, i.e. could you go a week or two before or after? Just checked - £45.98 for Nov 4-6. Same price if you return on the 7th, too.
  • Options
    God, your so helpful - thank you :D

I wish I was flexible though... thats my college half term week, and the 29/30/31 October are the days my bf can get off work (he's doing his Uni 3rd year placement).

Hmm, when I checked out EasyJet, to go on the 29th (Weds) and come back Fri (31st) then it's gonna be just over £100 for flights.

I'm waiting for my bf to come online to see what he thinks...

I'll let you know what we decide - but you've all been great helping out :D Especially Mobily (Sorry, D'OHnut :p) xxxx
  • Options
    If you wish to go to Dublin, your best bet is to travel aboard Ryanair. Forget about Aer Lingus from Manchester, for their prices are generally considerably above that of Ryanair.

Ryanair flies from both Manchester and Liverpool direct to Dublin. I haven't flown from either airports to the Irish capital, but I have flown from Bristol and Birmingham to Dublin, both of which only took about 40 minutes.

You can leave on the 28th and return on the 31st for £59.52 from MAN (it'd be more if you returned on the 1st), or, from LPL on the same dates for the same price.

Yep, the fare to Madrid will be substantially more for the 28-31/1 mainly because it's between Friday and Monday - the period during which fares rocket in price. This is business people go home and to work and because more people are off on Sat and Sun.
  • Options
    I forgot to tell you about what my girlfriend and I did - we booked a last minute holiday last Tuesday (14th) and travelled the next day. It cost £89 each including flights, accommodation (including breakfast) and transfers for a week in Santorini, Greece. It was great! :D You and your boyfriend could do this - all it takes is a couple of hours' researching on the 'net and phoning around. If you do this, you too can secure an unbelievably cheap deal! ;)

You can't tell I love finding cheap trips, can you? :p

Edited to add that our trip saved us £250 each.
  • Options
    I forgot to tell you about what my girlfriend and I did - we booked a last minute holiday last Tuesday (14th) and travelled the next day. It cost £89 each including flights, accommodation (including breakfast) and transfers for a week in Santorini, Greece. It was great! :D You and your boyfriend could do this - all it takes is a couple of hours' researching on the 'net and phoning around. If you do this, you too can secure an unbelievably cheap deal! ;)

You can't tell I love finding cheap trips, can you? :p

Edited to add that our trip saved us £250 each.

God, that's amazing!
    I'd love to do that, but tbh, because we need to book well in advance and stuff at the moment, we're better off doing that next summer when he finishes his job and he's about to start back at Uni - at least he knows when his holidays are!

God, here's me thinking ahead... we may not even be together then! I hope we are though :D
  • Options
    i loved dublin when i went there.

it's really pretty, and the people are great.
  • Options
    I noticed Edinburgh hasn't had any more mentions yet. Edinburgh's cool too :)
  • Options
    It's my 21st on August 13, but I still don't have any ideas about what to do... :p
  • Options
    It's my 21st on August 13, but I still don't have any ideas about what to do... :p

And I still don't! There's only 16 days left and time's ticking fast! :crying: :p