Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Lift The Label!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Join campaign to encourage High Street clothes stores to join the Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI), an alliance of clothing companies, non-governmental organisations (NGOs), and trade unions committed to promoting ethical trade.

17-year-old Shima from Dhaka in Bangladesh struggles to make a living by sewing buttonholes on jeans and denim jackets bound for Britain. "The wage is not enough to live on, to have good food or to be able to afford to go out in town after work to relax."

Shima needs twice the amount she is currently paid to be able to afford the basic essentials like food, healthcare and accommodation.

"Ours are not the first hands to touch our clothes. Before we touch them they have been produced and handled by many others, people with names, faces, children and parents who, like us, are made in the image of God. But unlike us, they are paid low wages, work long hours and in appalling conditions," says Annie Kirke, Tearfund's Youth Events Coordinator.

“See the people behind the clothes they buy and to use their consumer
power to bring about positive change in the lives of the producers,"

A recent Tearfund survey revealed that few young people are currently
buying ethical clothes, as they are not easily available, too expensive and not trendy.

But 7 in 10 young people said that if their favourite high street
clothes stores offered an ethical clothing range they would buy it, even if it was more expensive.

:D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i certainly would.
    Does anyone know or know where to find out which stores are members of such fair trade organisations?

Because I would like to know I'm buying clothes that are more ethical, I know which places to definitely avoid, but obviously having a very small budget I still shop at the cheaper high-street stores.

I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for my staple clothes such as jeans if I knew they were more ethically produced. I'll just buy all my millions of tops from charity shops. Ahh everyone should shop at charity shops - they're brilliant.
    i make most of my clothes now, so the only one i have to be ethical to is me....

and the weavers/knitters, i suppose, but, y'know, details....
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    i make most of my clothes now, so the only one i have to be ethical to is me....

and the weavers/knitters, i suppose, but, y'know, details....

I wish I could sew. I've got loads of old clothes I want to alter and some absolutely gorgeous sari material I want to make into a top...hmm will have ask my mum methinks.

what kind of stitch would you suggest I attempt? or an alternative to sewing? I was thinking I could use a zip for my top...

Did you make your kitty top?
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    I wish I could sew. I've got loads of old clothes I want to alter and some absolutely gorgeous sari material I want to make into a top...hmm will have ask my mum methinks.

what kind of stitch would you suggest I attempt? or an alternative to sewing? I was thinking I could use a zip for my top...

Did you make your kitty top?

best thing to do is get a bunch of old material/clothes you don't care about, and just practice and practice and practice.

i did a year of a fashion design course, so i was taught sewing and pattern-cutting by professionals. maybe something like an evening class might be fun, and you can have a laugh with other beginners while you learn...

maybe go into a discount bookshop and see if you can pick up a dressmaking book...

no, i didn't make my kitty top. it's emily strange :)
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown

If it's something you're really keen with you might wanna hassle a few oldies in the family for a sewing machine you could borrow. You can get them second-hand but they're still pretty pricey. I got one for a birthday a few years ago - very handy for making clothes.