Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sexuality - why be classified?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just a thought for you all -

people can often take offence if they are accused of bein gay, bi, or straight if they are not.

well is it really necessary to classify yourself as one of these? i mean? does it really matter! shouldnt people just be proud of what they are and who they, regardless of how others view them? i am not sayin its unimportant to at least bear in mind how others may perceive you, that would be selfish and selfcentred!

but what does classifying yourself by the type of people you like actually help with? i think people should just do what they feel is right at the time, and be proud of it!!!

dave.

Comments

• Options
    Your only saying this cos your not a particular group! :p some people are and it gives them identity, some people wanna be classed, some people dont. I say do what you gotta do, as long as its not intenionally callous then who gives a fook :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    I say do what you gotta do, as long as its not intenionally callous then who gives a fook :D

loooooooook i've found me new booooooooook :lol:

stop moaning lad, we're not all the same so we need terms to define us in most walks of life.

the end.
  • Options
    no i would say i am part of a group, sumone just said that to me about being part of a religion, so i just thought that i would see what people think in regards to sexuality!

i suppose that youre right abou how people think it gives them identity, but then if they changed their minds about their sexuality, wil that mean that they have lost thier identity? or mayb they did not have true identity at one point?
  • Options
    Originally posted by molo
    loooooooook i've found me new booooooooook :lol:

stop moaning lad, we're not all the same so we need terms to define us in most walks of life.

the end.

no one is moaning! im simply trying to get other peoples opinions here! people with open minds capable of listening and accepting other peoples opinions and views!

obviously some of us cant do that though!
  • Options
    your sexuality is not your whole identity

it can contribute to it, and in most cases if a homosexual male is incredibly camp, then thats his identity to people who don't know him as a person.

and anyway its all a load of bollox anyway. what are you jibbering on about.

is this jus cus you don't want to be called gay but you want to act like one from time to time?
  • Options
    loook if your sexuality changes your identity changes a bit to....im forvever changing and evolving and im bored easily to:D
  • Options
    some people want to be labelled.

some don't.
  • Options
    But sometimes when people are forced into being classified it messes with other bits of their life.

Being specifically labelled as gay or straight leaves space for discrimination by small-minded people.

And why should people be classified by their sexual partners and preferences, it's a very personal issue, and it shouldn't be as defined as it is.
  • Options
    perhaps people are labelled for their sexuality so they dont try and pull the wrong 'type'. for example, an internet dating thing. you'd put "gay" by your profile. or "straight" or whatever. that way if you go for men your not oging to have dirty old women harassing you hehe

otherwise you dont need to tell anyone but it helps give other people an insight into you, it's like personal information people like to know about each other as they get to know each other better

I dont see the problem with it....
  • Options
    i think the whole thing's silly, as, i wouldnt call myself bi, but the way i see it, if i fall for a girl then i fall for a girl, im not gonna disregard half the worlds population as being right for me just cos i've got the same bits, to me thats like saying 'well i couldnt fall in love with a black/asian/chinese guy' which is ridiculous.

if people are so small minded they judge you by your sexuality, thats their problem, you know it doesnt change you as a person
  • Options
    You used the word 'accused' which implies it's said in a nasty way, like calling someone 'gay' as an insult. In which case, yes, people might take offence. But if you mean people just assuming you're gay/bi/straight when you're not, although I get what you mean, I still think I'd be a little taken aback if someone just assumed I was a lesbian. Not insulted, exactly, but a bit Simply because I'm not. I don't fancy women. Think of Chandler in Friends - people always wrongly assume he's gay, and of course he's going to be a bit put out by that because if women think he's gay, they won't go for him. Am I making any sense?

But yes, I do get what you mean. I suppose though, like a lot of things, it's easier to identify with people when they have similar interests to you, whether that's sexuality, religion or even just a common hobby or taste in music or something.