Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

GCSE Maths

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi. I'm going into year 10 next year. I am in top set maths, so I will do Intermidiate GCSE maths paper this year instead of mocks. Does this mean I get the points from it going towards my final total, or is it essentially just a mock? Does it count as an individual GCSE on paper?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Surely your teacher would be the best person to ask?
    I did that at school.
    We took the intermediate paper in year 10 and (theoretically) got a B on it. We then took the higher paper the next year and got A's and A*'s (also theoretically). If you did better on the higher paper - like you were supposed to - you kept that mark as your final GCSE mark. If you did worse, you kept the higher mark of the two. No one actually managed to do worse, but it is considered more difficult to get a B on the higher paper than it is on the intermediate paper.

It does count as an individual GCSE, you just get another chance to take a higher paper and improve your mark. At least I did, anyhow.
    Well if this paper is the real thing then maybe you should just go for it, maybe at the expence of your other tests. But there only mocks so they don't matter much, if at all. So concentrate on the maths the most........

Bopz
    Thanks Smash. I think that's the same as what I will be doing :thumb:

Originally posted by Susie
    Surely your teacher would be the best person to ask?

We were told before the end of year 9, but I wasn't there when we were told, and the people I asked didn't understood what they were told my our teacher.

Oh, and Bopperz, aren't our mocks what determine our predictions for GCSE, or do the predictions not matter?
    I doubt they will take your year 10 mocks and give you a predicted grade, but they will tell you and possibly your parents the results of the "fake" tests. But predicted grades are weird things when you think about it, they are nothing... as they dissapear as soon as the real results appear.
    Having low predicted grades never really bothered me especcially as most of my GCSE's were unaccurate. Double Science i was predicted BB and i got 2 A*'s. :eek2:

The predicted grades you most have to worry about are the ones in year 11 i suppose, but still dont see the point in them. But whatever you do eventually get predicted I suggest you just crack on, because if your predictions are good you make slack off....never good. And if the predictions are a tad on the low side, you might panic and give up so.... just work on son.
    Bopz
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    aren't our mocks what determine our predictions for GCSE, or do the predictions not matter?

I was in year 10 last year and I think....
    Nah, the year 10 mocks are just like..... there. They just give your teachers an idea of how you're doing ect, nothing as important as determining your gcse grade - I mean a lot can change in 2 years. It's the year 11 mocks that are more predictions for your gcse grades, cos they're sat only a few months before your actual gcses. If my year 10 mocks are anything to go by, I'm going to fail them all :rolleyes:

And on to the maths thing, I'm not all that sure what you mean, but in most of the mocks you'll sit your level of paper anyway. If your school is doing the same curriculum thing as mine, then you'll sit different maths modules quarterly which DO count towards your final grade, and then have another one when you sit the rest of your gcses. I'm in top set maths, doing intermediate, so the mock which you sit in year 10 COULD determine which paper you sit for your modules, but I'm sure that your teacher will give you lots of papers to practise and will make you sit the paper which they feel is appropriate for you and which you are comfertable sitting. If you sit intermediate papers and yu do really well then they might consider letting you sit the higher paper next time, cos the intermediate only allows you to get a B grade, wheras the higher takes you right up to an A*.
    If on all tests and coursework you are on a B grade, and that all totals to 50% is it impossible to get an A grade or a A* grade.

Ok well it get kind of complicated but you should be ok, I managed to do it with me Science! It's easier to work out with your AS/A-levels because they just give you your mark not a grade and you just add up all the numbers.
    For your GCSE's im not sure how to work it out but if you got a B so far then a high A grade might just push you into the A grade boundary, anythings possible. So just try really hard and it should all be ok. If your aiming for an A or A* at GCSE, your probably going for A-level maths? And then GCSE goes flying out the window as you enter the world of Pure maths.:( :(:( :crazyeyes :mad:

Bopz
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    If your aiming for an A or A* at GCSE, your probably going for A-level maths? And then GCSE goes flying out the window as you enter the world of Pure maths.:( :(:( :crazyeyes :mad:

ha :lol: i know what you mean :eek: calculus!!
    your predicted grades are done via your cats (year 7) and sats(year 9) results, there ridiculous anyways, i got predicted an a* in EVERYTHING :eek2:
    you can but ya gotta do shit hot in your final exam, or better in next years modules