Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Closing open ports?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do I close port 5000 in XP?

Comments

• Options
    Is there any way to manually close open ports, ie when you run netsat to get a list of connected ports, can you d/c them?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gavman
    Is there any way to manually close open ports, ie when you run netsat to get a list of connected ports, can you d/c them?

No.

Invest in a firewall. Or even download a free one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kart
    ZoneAlarm is the best firewall out there, by far.And it's completely free as well.If you want it, head on over to www.zonelabs.com :)

Obviously never heard of Sygate, which is a million times better, and anyway, software firewalls are very limited, invest in a cisco pix.... if you have the cash to spare
  • Options
    Originally posted by kart
    Oops.Never knew sygate was that good.:pLooks like they've won plenty of awards for their firewall.Are they all free though?I'll stick with ZoneAlarm...its free, and as far as I know, very very secure.

PS.Eul Grepus..that TCPA site's mighty scary!

Yeah, aint it lovely.... as for Sygate, they arent free, but if you ask me nicely, i could send you an older version, with a crack, which you can then upgrade for free via their lovely website ;)

Disclaimer
    Eul Grepus and MonkeyPhish Inc do not support hacking, cracking, or any other piracy, and cannot be held responsible for any problems you may encounter after "modifying" your trial software. This includes problems with MI6, FBI, CIA, Interpol or any other crime fighting organisation ;)
  • Options
    I use Sygate now - but have used Norton Personal Firewall before - that always used to warn me of zillionsof things that were tryng to hack at me - whilst Sygate never seems to find anything - and even the logs are pretty empty..

I do like the graph thing it produces though!!!

And the most basic version is free for those of you using ZoneAlarm .. can't see what's so good about zone Alarm - but it's the first one most magaines and things recommend for a free one.