Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

ask as a chinese

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
oh.... it's my first post on this website.please offer your kind reply,thank you in advance.:D

what i wanna ask is which book impresses you most strongly?

would you please make a brief introduction about it for me after offering its name?

i am starting to read english original book,so please kindly give me your advices.

thanks again.;)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sorry to find nobody wants to reply my thread.
    :(

    fine,keep on waiting......:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi,

    Welcome - I think the reason you're not getting too many replies at the moment is cos most of the people on this site are in the Uk and most of them are tucked up in bed.

    As for books, well I'm not a huge book reader, but I do remember reading a book many years ago called "The two farms"

    It was set in English and it was a very easy to digest book. I'd certainly recommend it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    so do you just want one book? Because i can't do that, i can't decide on one. I like reading :blush:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    okay your offline so i'll just give you a couple

    okay there is a trilogy by Isobelle Carmody

    The first book is called Darkfall
    the second is called Darkdong
    and the third is Darkbane - which isn't out yet :crying:

    it's about to sisters who get seperated. One's dying and yeah they try to find each other.

    umm......ooh another series by isobelle carmody
    it's called the obernewtyn (sp?) series

    first book - obernewtyn (sp?)
    second book - the farseekers
    third book - ashling
    fourth book - the keeping place
    fifth book - the sending (isn't released yet) :crying:

    okay this series is set after the 3rd world war. The people who lived during the war used nuclear bombs and almost killed out the human race entirely. Because of the side effects, some of the people are born with abnormalities, and are either burned or set off to farms to work until they die. The main character is a teenage girl who gets sent to Obernewtyn - a place for defective/specail children. Sorry i suck at explaining things....

    ooooooooh another REALLY really good series is the tomorrow, when the war egan series!

    first book - tomorrow, when the war began
    second book - the dead of the night
    third book - The third day, the frost
    fourth book - Darkness be my friend
    fifth book -Burning for revenge
    sixth book - The night is for hunting
    seventh book - The other side of dawn

    Okay this series is about a group of aussie teenagers and what they go through when australia is invaded - they don't say who. but i think he had the indonesians in mind when writing the series...., it really is an excellent series!

    okay, that's a start if you want any others just give me a yell
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Hi,

    Welcome - I think the reason you're not getting too many replies at the moment is cos most of the people on this site are in the Uk and most of them are tucked up in bed.

    As for books, well I'm not a huge book reader, but I do remember reading a book many years ago called "The two farms"

    It was set in English and it was a very easy to digest book. I'd certainly recommend it.

    hehe...nice to have your reply here.
    most people in uk are tucked up in bed except for a few like you DiamondGeezer.
    haven't touch your bed,or just get up? so early?

    The two farms,do you remember who is the author?

    thanks for your recommendation a lot!

    i'll try to find it out altho it is not easy to find it in China i think.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by fugue
    so do you just want one book? Because i can't do that, i can't decide on one. I like reading :blush:

    well,not a limitation,i just want to know something about your interest on reading.
    the more you offer,the more happy i feel.
    just hope it dosen't waste your precious time.:)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by fugue
    okay your offline so i'll just give you a couple

    okay there is a trilogy by Isobelle Carmody

    The first book is called Darkfall
    the second is called Darkdong
    and the third is Darkbane - which isn't out yet :crying:

    it's about to sisters who get seperated. One's dying and yeah they try to find each other.

    umm......ooh another series by isobelle carmody
    it's called the obernewtyn (sp?) series

    first book - obernewtyn (sp?)
    second book - the farseekers
    third book - ashling
    fourth book - the keeping place
    fifth book - the sending (isn't released yet) :crying:

    okay this series is set after the 3rd world war. The people who lived during the war used nuclear bombs and almost killed out the human race entirely. Because of the side effects, some of the people are born with abnormalities, and are either burned or set off to farms to work until they die. The main character is a teenage girl who gets sent to Obernewtyn - a place for defective/specail children. Sorry i suck at explaining things....

    ooooooooh another REALLY really good series is the tomorrow, when the war egan series!

    first book - tomorrow, when the war began
    second book - the dead of the night
    third book - The third day, the frost
    fourth book - Darkness be my friend
    fifth book -Burning for revenge
    sixth book - The night is for hunting
    seventh book - The other side of dawn

    Okay this series is about a group of aussie teenagers and what they go through when australia is invaded - they don't say who. but i think he had the indonesians in mind when writing the series...., it really is an excellent series!

    okay, that's a start if you want any others just give me a yell

    hmmmmmmm... your long reply really make me happy,hehe.....
    thanks(oh,am i saying too much thanks?)

    it seems that you like books about war very much,right?
    and your recommendations are all in the form of series.

    they sounds very interesting!but what i am worrying is have they been in China?or just stay in australia still?
    but maybe i'll find them on some website.well i'll try my best.

    are those authors you mentioned above in the contemporary era?

    if you have any good books,what's more,if you also have spare time,please recommend them to me.
    i am eager to know more about english literature.

    do you read classical masterpieces BTW?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Wateress :)

    You may find this thread interesting

    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38063&highlight=Books

    Some of the replies have made mention of what the books are about, some have not. However it will give you an idea of what people are reading :thumb:

    I would have to say one of my favourite books is The Power of One, by Bryce Courtney. It is about a young boy growing up in South Africa and what difficulties he had to face (Aparthid, boarding school etc)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you want to read any kind of book? Or a certain kind like comedy or fantasy or classic literature?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    'Alias Grace' - Margaret Atwood
    'The Beach' - Alex Garland (the film killed the book)

    Classics?! Bleurgh - Nasty things like 'North and South' by Elizabeth Gaskell that i have to read for my Eng Lit class

    Well, theres a few that i could think of off the top of my head...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think im the only one who thinks this is a windup :p so skeptical!!!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    I think im the only one who thinks this is a windup :p so skeptical!!!! :rolleyes:

    LMAO, I think it's for real :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by LadyT

    'The Beach' - Alex Garland (the film killed the book)
    Indeed it did! :(
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Cinders
    Hi Wateress :)

    You may find this thread interesting

    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38063&highlight=Books

    Some of the replies have made mention of what the books are about, some have not. However it will give you an idea of what people are reading :thumb:

    i learn a lot from it, thank you kind Cinders!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Mist
    Do you want to read any kind of book? Or a certain kind like comedy or fantasy or classic literature?

    well, i have to say,there are not so many choices on original english books in China,maybe coz i haven't go through all the places that sell books.

    but we do have not a few classic literature,so i'm going to start my reading from this.

    recently,i brought some books.please let me list them here.

    D.H.Lawrence:sons and lovers;Lady Chatterley's lover.

    Thomas Hardy: The mayer of Casterbridge; The return of the Native; Far from the madding crowd;Tess of the D'Urbervilles.

    The best short stories of Jack London.

    The complete short stories of Mark Twain

    H.G.Well: The time machine

    Jane Austen:Pride and prejudice; Sense and sensibility.

    some of them,i have read in chinese.some not.

    so,what do ya say to my booklist???

    for me,i'd love to read the novels of Hardy,altho sometimes i can't understand very well.he shows me the dark side of life.and i am very impressed.
    and Mark Twain for his sense of humour.
    Jack London for his dramatic ending.....

    others are being studying, hope you give me your advices.
    :):):)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BritJames
    If you were to go to www.amazon.com - you can find random books of a certain genre - this may be good for reading books you never thought you'd read.

    I tend to stick to Contemporary fiction, thrillers and travel reference books. I like to learn new things, and also find out about other cultures.

    Happy reading though :)

    oooooh! i really love the website your gave me .

    i'm sure i'll learn a lot from it later.

    so please accept my thanks for you.

    you like travel,don't you.

    have you been to china?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by LadyT
    'Alias Grace' - Margaret Atwood
    'The Beach' - Alex Garland (the film killed the book)

    Classics?! Bleurgh - Nasty things like 'North and South' by Elizabeth Gaskell that i have to read for my Eng Lit class

    Well, theres a few that i could think of off the top of my head...

    there are two chinese words in your icon pic,can you tell me if it's your chinese name? :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    I think im the only one who thinks this is a windup :p so skeptical!!!! :rolleyes:

    sorry to hear that.

    come to china meet me?:p

    coz it's the only way to prove.

    but is it necessary?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    LMAO, I think it's for real :p

    :wave:

    thanks anyway!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by wateress
    hmmmmmmm... your long reply really make me happy,hehe.....
    thanks(oh,am i saying too much thanks?)

    it seems that you like books about war very much,right?
    and your recommendations are all in the form of series.

    they sounds very interesting!but what i am worrying is have they been in China?or just stay in australia still?
    but maybe i'll find them on some website.well i'll try my best.

    are those authors you mentioned above in the contemporary era?

    if you have any good books,what's more,if you also have spare time,please recommend them to me.
    i am eager to know more about english literature.

    do you read classical masterpieces BTW?

    i do read some 'classical masterpieces and i know the 'tomorrow, when the war began series was published in china. Is was extremely sucessful and yeah, it's been do in like 40 different languages :thumb:

    oh and yes they are contemporary. Now do you have any chinese books to recommend to us?;)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i :heart: pride and prejudice!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by fugue

    Now do you have any chinese books to recommend to us?;)

    oh,many,but what do you prefer?classics?contemporary?or between?hehe......:D

    ok,according to the your recommendation,i recommend one back to you:Romance of three kingdom.

    it is the most popular novel in Asia. Written 600 years ago, it tells the epic of Han Dynasty in China during the 2nd and 3rd century.
    there are a lot of wars in it,and you may know many things abt our ancestor,how they plan a war & how they turn it into art.
    most chinese males are crazy about this books and they play games by learning the strategies in it.
    there are many vivid characters and many profound stories in it.the significance of some of them can be applied even up to now!

    hehe....ok,saying too much.shut up now.:)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    try this if you haven't already

    http://promo.net/pg/index.html

    Ilove stuff by JD Sallinger (Franny and Zooey in particular) and Kurt Vonnegut. Or perhaps if you want to read some typical British books try Evelyn waugh, Irvine Welsh, Nancy Mitford, or Pat Barker.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    try this if you haven't already

    http://promo.net/pg/index.html

    Ilove stuff by JD Sallinger (Franny and Zooey in particular) and Kurt Vonnegut. Or perhaps if you want to read some typical British books try Evelyn waugh, Irvine Welsh, Nancy Mitford, or Pat Barker.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by byny
    try this if you haven't already

    http://promo.net/pg/index.html

    Ilove stuff by JD Sallinger (Franny and Zooey in particular) and Kurt Vonnegut. Or perhaps if you want to read some typical British books try Evelyn waugh, Irvine Welsh, Nancy Mitford, or Pat Barker.

    :D wow! another great website from you!
    marvellous!!!!!!
    many thanks for your suggestion!:love:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BritJames
    One of my favourite books about China

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0006374921/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-9637812-4623619

    Wild swans .... (in English lol)

    :o embarrassed coz it is a good book but i didn't heard of it untill i see your reply here.

    really,so many events happened in the last century.
    the books about that period are full of tears and blood.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by wateress
    there are two chinese words in your icon pic,can you tell me if it's your chinese name? :)

    According to my friend (he speaks chinese.... family etc) it is my name yes. Although, i would in no way be surprised if it turned out to be something else :p
Sign In or Register to comment.