Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

what a twat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my friend has managed to cause an accident involving 4 cars while driving without insurance. noone was hurt mirraculously.

now you dont have to tell me what a stupid thing to do that was and i dont have a huge amount of sympathy with the guy even if he is my friend but what do you reckon will happen to him? what are the penalties etc? i mean i looked up on the net and all i could find was stuff about points on the lisence so yeah he will definately lose his lisence since he has points already and this will bring it up to at least 9 which is more than your allowed as a new driver. but other than that, what will happen and how does it work etc?

will he have to go to court? etc etc etc.....

Comments

• Options
    was it his fault? the fact he was driving without insurance is enough for a bit of trouble but then add on the fact that he caused an accident just shows how careless the **** is :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    was it his fault? the fact he was driving without insurance is enough for a bit of trouble but then add on the fact that he caused an accident just shows how careless the **** is :rolleyes:

yes it was. he ran into the back of someone, who then went in to the back of the car in front, who then went in to the back of the car in front of that. i mean fair play causing an accident can happen to anyone even if in this case it was particularely retarded but ive run into the back of someone before its easily done. but driving without insurance is just fuckin stupid and i dont have any sympathy. but i still care what happens to him cause he's my friend so i dont want it to fuck him over completely, even if it was his fault. so i was just wondering really if anyone knows whats likely to happen.
  • Options
    I've got no experience of this kinda thing, so this is based on what I've read from the "court reports" section in the local paper... For driving without insurance he's likely to get a ban (or his license revoked) and a fine, and have to pay court costs.

A friend of mine was found guilty of "driving without due care and attention" and got 6 points and therefore had his license revoked as he'd been driving less than two years. He also had compensation to pay to the guy he crashed into (the other guy was a taxi driver, so it was like loss of earning). All in all, it was £150 compensation, £50 costs and his license revoked.

Edited to add : My mate was insured, so that didn't come into it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    I've got no experience of this kinda thing, so this is based on what I've read from the "court reports" section in the local paper... For driving without insurance he's likely to get a ban (or his license revoked) and a fine, and have to pay court costs.

A friend of mine was found guilty of "driving without due care and attention" and got 6 points and therefore had his license revoked as he'd been driving less than two years. He also had compensation to pay to the guy he crashed into (the other guy was a taxi driver, so it was like loss of earning). All in all, it was £150 compensation, £50 costs and his license revoked.

hmmm thats not too bad then. what about the damage to the other person's car? will their insurance pay or will he be liable for it all himself?
  • Options
    I'm not too sure... doesn't it depend on what type of insurance the others have, since they can't claim off his insurance?
  • Options
    Originally posted by octopus of doom
    hmmm thats not too bad then. what about the damage to the other person's car? will their insurance pay or will he be liable for it all himself?
    theres a fund that all insurance co's pay into on which they draw when they have to pay out for an uninsured driver. can't remember what it's called and the insurance company try to avoid telling you about it. ask them ...they have to tell and pay.
  • Options
    forgot to add ...the pay out is for the insured people. the insurance company/s may, if they think they have even a slim chance of getting it ...put in a claim against the uninsured for there costs!
  • Options
    it does depend on what kind of insurance the people have. Hopefully (for his sake) they don't have third party insurance, cos if they do, he's fecked
  • Options
    hmmmm... interesting...

so he may or may not be fucked financially. well i've got my fingers crossed for him anyway even if he was a monumental prick for doing that.

just to clarify this isnt one of those 'my "friend" did this' really meaning myself.

i may be dumb but im not that dumb.
  • Options
    Originally posted by fugue
    it does depend on what kind of insurance the people have. Hopefully (for his sake) they don't have third party insurance, cos if they do, he's fecked

so if he was liable for their damage etc, how would that even work?
    cause (im not sure of the specifics but i THINK) the car he hit was written off (his was written off as well but it doesnt look like hes gonna be driving for a while anyway) but if theirs was written off theres no way he could possibly afford to pay for it. so waht would happen?
  • Options
    normally if someone can't pay they do jail time
  • Options
    or at least that's what happens over here
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    On friday my mate got 3 years bird for Casuign Death by Dangerous Driving.

After drinking a fair few jugs and clipping a curb outside my house, he rolled it into a telegraph pole killing another one of my mates who was riding shotgun.

It's a shit sate of affairs!

People tend to forget that cars may be made out of metal but in a crash at anything over 40 you might as well be driving a biscuit tin for all the protection it's going to offer you!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by fugue
    normally if someone can't pay they do jail time

Hi Fugue

I am pretty sure that over here, you do not due jail time if you can not pay (unless you kill someone of course and that is completely different!).

Basically the way it works (and it could be similar to the UK) is that if you are uninsured for third party property insurance and the person you hit was, then they can claim under their insurance (which they are not going to like but at least they can replace their car) and as Mr Roll said, their insurance company will most probably come after the person that caused the accident to regain costs.

If neither of the people involved are insured, then it becomes a civil matter and the person who was hit can take the person responsible to court to regain their costs etc.

If the person can not pay the money upfront then a payment plan is normally worked out, which in some instances is not worth it. If the person is unemployed and on the dole for example, and can only pay back $5.00 per week or something stupid you have to wonder if you want to be recieving $5.00 per week for X amount of years :crazyeyes

There is the other side of things of course, eg losing points and being fined by the cops. I am pretty sure if you can't pay your fines then you either do jail time or community service.
  • Options
    i didn't explain myself very well (as usual) i did mean what you said i just couldn't be bother to go to the trouble of writing all that, lol

I was talking about when at court - where most of these things end up - you are not able to pay or refuse to pay. They do take money out of your wages but depending on the circumstances, jail time is a reality.

you hurt my feelings :(

i'm not a pommy :crying:

I'm an aussie too. Guess i have to change my location again, it used to say something about australia but ninja master is a bad influence on me.....

:p
  • Options
    :lol: ooh and by the way i spose my information isn't exactly rock solid, i'm just going on something that happened to a family member a few years back, ;)
  • Options
    Fugue, I am sorry I hurt your feelings :(

But I am not quite sure as to why I hurt them:eek2:

I am thinking that it was because I mistook you for a Pom! Which I spose I can understand you being upset about :lol:

I really should watch what I say, afterall I am only relatively new here and I really should mind my manners

Am I forgiven? :p
  • Options
    my was joking!

notice the :p at the end.

i'm reasonably new too, i've only been here since like may or something
  • Options
    Is a pom/pommy an Brit? Like the American word Limey?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    I think it's becasue our skin is supposed to go the same colour as a pomegrantite (sp) when we stay out in the sun too much!

Stupid really!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Limey:eek2: what the fuck, isn't he a cute little catapiller of some kiddies show?

i have no idea why we call brits pommies, and i have never seen a pomagranite?

it's just our cute lil pet name for you, like you calling us aussies
  • Options
    limey is something to do with british sailors on the long journey from uk to usa who often used to suffer with scurvy, deficiency of vitamin C cos of their poor diet. so they ate lots of limes :)
  • Options
    hmm......wow learn something new every day

when the brits took over australia they ate oranges to keep scurvy free on zee boats. limes, ewww
    but then again i don't like ornages either

yes this is a pointless pointless post and i apolagise
  • Options
    Ahhh, you learn something everyday, don't you. I had never heard of the term Limey either.

I didn't quite know why we called you guys Poms either BUT I found this

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/pommy.htm

The mystery has been solved.
  • Options
    i was attually tought that at school lol..... and the limey one too..... granted thats about all i learnt!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cinders
    Ahhh, you learn something everyday, don't you. I had never heard of the term Limey either.

I didn't quite know why we called you guys Poms either BUT I found this

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/pommy.htm

The mystery has been solved.

ooh wao, i've learnt two things today :hyper:

heh heh think it's time for a lil nap! :p