Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

External Hard disks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got an iBook laptop. There's not enough storage space on it for all the programs that I want to run from it so I thought of buying an external hard disk for it. Can anyone recommend a good one that is mac compatible? Thanx:)

Comments

• Options
    Re: External Hard disks
    Originally posted by rushin
    I've got an iBook laptop. There's not enough storage space on it for all the programs that I want to run from it so I thought of buying an external hard disk for it. Can anyone recommend a good one that is mac compatible? Thanx:)

The apple website sells them, LaCie ones. They plug into the firewire port.

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/9215/wo/365Mw1wwQhQZIBzGVg/0.0.7.1.0.5.13.0.4.1.3.0.7.3.1.1.0
  • Options
    is that the lacie pocket drive 80GB? the link had timed out.
    would that be enough to run Macromedia Director and Photoshop? I think it would be just need a second opinion
  • Options
    How big is your existing hard drive?

I bougth an XP laptop years ago with 5gb of hard drive space - back then that was a lot, but it started making funny noises and I decided to buy a new one so got a 20gb drive and the whole laptop is better now, it's quieter (Due to fluid bearings inthe new HD), quicker due to larger cache in the new HD and of ocurse 4 times bigger.

I bet a new internal drive would be cheaper then an external drive and means less to lug around.
  • Options
    its got a 15Gb hard drive according to the box but it doesn't have anymore space left on it to store anything even although i've hardly got anything on it. Might have to investigate that one a bit more. Any ideas why?
    don't want to get a new internal hard disk because its an iBook i'd have to take it back to the place I got it to get them to fit it as thats the only place in glasgow who deals with only macs but the guy is so rude that i refuse to go there.